Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 4 - Collingwood v Nth Ballarat

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies 4.2.26
Nth Ballarat 4.2.26

Quarter time I think
Kate1985 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Go to http://www.3ser.org.au/ and they have the game broadcasted live.

Pies 53
N. Ballarat 44
woftam Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Kate1985 wrote:
Go to http://www.3ser.org.au/ and they have the game broadcasted live.

Pies 53
N. Ballarat 44

Thanks mate

Quarter by quarter for most matches are here

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=8&pg=1&a=MR_
roar 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:48 pm

12.15 - 102
17.5 - 107

Errant kicking cost us by the looks of things

cmfc_82 

'MON THE WOODS!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Tough loss that one...

With scores level late in the game we had the ball deep in our backline. With cool head's needed panic creeped in, we turned the ball over & North scored a goal.

We had one last forward thrust, which we managed to score a behind, & that was all she wrote.

Altough I thought North controlled the majority of the game, it was one we definately could have, & SHOULD have won!
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:05 pm

who played well?
woftam Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Podpicken wrote:
who played well?

Collingwood 4.2 9.7 10.10 15.12 (102)
North Ballarat 4.2 9.4 13.5 17.5 (107)

GOALS:
Collingwood: Stanley 4 Bryan 3 Dick 2 Pendlebury Sidebottom Peverill Blight Cox Goldsack
North Ballarat: Spolding 4 Wundke 4 Jones 3 Driscoll 2 Richardson 2 Smith Cartledge

BEST:
Collingwood: Stanley Sidebottom Cox Thoolen Peverill Pendlebury
North Ballarat: Jones Sharkey Spolding Wundke Richardson Roach
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:57 pm

we could of won the game. yea inacurate kicking cost us but thats expected.

BUT when the roosters kicked the ball out on full deep into last qtr toby took the kick, he had NO options so he goes to reid, reids drops the ball and i can't remember if they kicked a goal or point. IF reid held onto the mark he just had to kick it out wide coz we had a 2 on 1 on the pratt stand wing
WKB 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Let's not forget the skipper having a set shot, straight in front, 15m out, and misses. (He wasn't alone in missing but that was the easiest for the day and really would have lifted the boys).

We had a bad 3rd term and horrid end to the second. We had a 21 point lead at one stage in the second and within a 5 minute period we had lost the lead.

There were period where we just let them control the tempo of the game and didn't man up which was disappointing.

Some solid games though today, I thought Keefe in the ruck was great today, he's an agile big fella. Toby Thoolen seems to be going from strength to strength. Steele was a class above at times but seemed to float out of the game for short periods. Jonny Bennell was exciting and showed glimpses that let's you know he could be a player. I thought young Blight was good today also.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 pm

i reckon if mm wants to put any running players into the side. stanley, cook and sidebottom would have to be up there for sure.

stanley 4 goals playing in the midfield.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 am

Pics from the game...

http://www.joffasfrontpage.com/vfl_gallery_106.html

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 am

Kris Pendlebury - must seriously be looked at as a mature-aged rookie at worst. Showed a bit pushing forward late, great leap, tackles hard, and kicked goal of the day, with 3-4 bounces along the wing from 50m. He really can cut it at the next level, IMO.

Thoolen - showing his best form so far. As mentioned, did give a bit of rebound, marked ok, but was outbodied/positioned by North Ballarat's/Kangaroos' Michael Wundke on a few occasions (who is a very good VFL player at worst, did well last year vs us, too).

Blight - wow, huge fan of this player. Very athletic and energetic. Bit of Jarrod Waite, but a bit smaller, and even Brendan Goddard, but way skinnier - but quicker. Look, I know he has a long way to go, and he's only just turned 18, but I really rate him. He's quick, solid overhead, puts his head over the ball, and attacks the ball and the ball carrier both in the air and at ground level. Skills look to be ok, too, and is a big kick. Not sure if he's 'AFL ready' in 2009, but I reckon we've found a player. Made the odd error (ie: took a bounce but didn't collect it), but it's more through eagerness/ability to give it a crack rather than holding back.

Goldsack - not his best match. Didn't win too much of the ball. Didn't command promotion into the seniors.

Reid - solid game, not as good as vs Willy, but still quite good at half back. Showed a bit of poise in traffic in not rushing his disposal. Can't find any openings in the seniors, though. But played well. No pun intended, but reads the play extremely well.

Francis - hard at it, always gives 100% at the contest, but nothing overly special to report for the day. Can bank on him for at least a solid performance each week, though, which is good so early in the season.

Dyas - did ok in patches. Often was handed the ball (obviously unintentionally) in difficult situations under 3-1 pressure, but wasn't too bad. Will take another week or so to readjust to the tempo/etc.

Peverill - played really well. Makes a huge difference with his presence. Poise helps side out of tight squeezes, and his creative handball opens up the play a lot when younger players may cough it up/bite off more than they can chew.

Cook - good early across halfback, then just held rather than dominated. Just ok. A fair way off promotion I'd hazard a guess.

Dawes - not his best game. Kicked two behinds, and didn't really feature too often.

Stanley - helped hold the side with Nth Ball with vital goals at different stages. The best of his four was midway through the last, with a courageous, stand-your-ground mark 35m from goal underneathed a skied kick. Got some vital clearances late, and tackled strongly. If he's ever going to be picked on form alone, it has to be now. A step up from his usual consistency, so he should be in the ballpark. Was picked vs StK in round 19, last season, too, so there could be some 'horses-for-courses' coming into play there.

Dick - lively but didn't win too much of the ball in space. Kicked two, I think, but didn't stand out. Chasing was a factor, and a big difference from last season's side.

Bryan - could be close to selection. Good at FF, brought ball to ground, and kicked three straight playing mainly close to goal.

Cox - one of the best in defence and through the middle. Seemed to take his demotion well. Typical Cox game, played well, one of the best, should be in contention this week.

Keefe - gave a contest, and often features as a linkman around the ground. Still a work in progress, particularly in tapouts and at ground level, but has shown he has plenty to work with.

Sidebottom - didn't command selection, but continued his consistency. For an underage draftee, he's showing plenty both as a ruck-rover and half forward. Should get a game at some point. Hasn't had a bad one as yet, but hasn't had a 'pick me' game, either (not that you expect it right away).

Blair - not as prolific as in other weeks, but has real AFL potential in the clearances. Tackles extremely well for a small bloke. Never shirks an issue. Disposal and decision-making are both solid at worst, very good at best. Could be a darkhorse, but would need a few standout matches. That said, love watching him play.

Bennell - not really a feature. Didn't see too much of the footy.

Frost - gave a spark in attack as third tall forward, lively all day, kept the ball moving quickly. Must love playing in this role (with Dawes/Bryan getting the bigger defenders) in comparison to last year.

Hunt - as a VFL player, certainly a good pick up. Generally clean disposal, doesn't get too flustered when he has the ball.

Rounds - quiet day. Started on the pine IIRC, tackled well in the last quarter.

Reed - liked his game. Not a big possession winner, and not a Heath/Cox-like halfback, more of a stopper than a creator for now, but did nicely. Plays a lot like Goldsack, and even looks like him when running (right down to the #3Cool, and had one crucial play where he held up - got a wonderful, 50m shephard from Blight, where he ran the ball from 30m from Nth Ball's goals midway through the last (when we led) to about 70m out from goal, before bombing it deep towards the centre wing boundary, without ever looking like it would be pinged for deliberate. Showed great composure there. Spoiled ok, too.
Overall, looking a hell of a lot stronger than last year. Hopefully McCarthy can come back next week, too, which would add a lot to an already strong onball mix at the stoppages (Stanley, Blair, Sidebottom).
woftam Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Johnson#26

Appreciate the report. I'm already a big Blair fan so I'm hoping he will get promoted to the senior list at years end. Couldn't get to this game although have made the 2 before at Visy. Looking forward to watching Blight as well.
Akos 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 am

thanks for the thorough review!
it's great to compare what supporters think of each player with the coach's report when it comes out.

Johnson#26 wrote:

Cox - one of the best in defence and through the middle. Seemed to take his demotion well. Typical Cox game, played well, one of the best, should be in contention this week.

does that mean he was great on the rebound, but played loose in defense? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: