Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 3 Pies V Bombers in Bendigo

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmac 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me more.....
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi, please find a cut & paste FYI:

Bendigo Bombers 1.2 6.3 6.9 6.10 (46)
Collingwood 3.4 7.6 9.6 13.11 (89)

GOALS:
Bendigo Bombers: SLATTERY 2 Neagle 2 German Magin
Collingwood: Bennell 3 Francis 2 Dick 2 Rounds Sidebottom Corrie Frost Bryan Stanley

BEST:
Bendigo Bombers: Holmes Houli Hooker Slattery Scanlon Williams
Collingwood: Dick Corrie Cook Wood Peverill Francis

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Bendigo Bombers: Nil
Collingwood: Nil

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Its kind of like a Wheel of Fortune consulation prize.

Any news on Dawes?

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 am

watt price tully wrote:
Hi, please find a cut & paste FYI:

Bendigo Bombers 1.2 6.3 6.9 6.10 (46)
Collingwood 3.4 7.6 9.6 13.11 (89)

GOALS:
Bendigo Bombers: SLATTERY 2 Neagle 2 German Magin
Collingwood: Bennell 3 Francis 2 Dick 2 Rounds Sidebottom Corrie Frost Bryan Stanley

BEST:
Bendigo Bombers: Holmes Houli Hooker Slattery Scanlon Williams
Collingwood: Dick Corrie Cook Wood Peverill Francis

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Bendigo Bombers: Nil
Collingwood: Nil

Went to the game, Will give short report, when I get a chance at lunch time today (hopefully).

On the best above................... Dick was good, but didn't do all that much I thought. He broke the game open with some carry.

For mine, Corrie was the best player for us. Played Wing.

Wood was solid and did some good bullocking work. Probably good enogh to come into the firsts, considering Saturdays game by Fraser. Although copped a knock to his arm/shoulder in the third. Not sure if he came back on.

Rounds impressed me, and did some clean stuff.

Blair, has dash and takes them on at the right times. 3rd Q took on about 3 players on the HBF and ran around them all and finished with a 30m kick onto our players chest on the wing. But did hit some clangers.

Reid. May not be able to kick straight at goals. But field kicking was great. had good 1st Q. Then didn't do much. PLayed CHB and even deeper in defense.

Thoolen (who previously I thought was below standard) actually impressed me. Played on Neagle. and took several contested/out positioned marks. Could be a defender in the future.

Bryan played forward most the game. Had a stint in the ruck in the last. wasn't anything special.

Okeefe. was Ok. probably equivilant prospect as Wood in terms of the future.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:38 am

Maybe easier to give my opinion on guys who should be up for selection in the firsts.

1) Corrie
2) Wood (if still fit)
3) Cook
4) Dick
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:45 pm

How well did Bennell play?l
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:38 pm

kicked a couple and gave Barnard some lip at his cake shop!

www.facebook/the hybernators
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm

Bennell didn't do a heap IMO. Kicked the sealer goal after advantage was paid. Was OK. Played mostly FP. so 3 goals is a good return from that position. Did some nice stuff.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 am

Well here is the Match report I said I would write. Keep in mind that I had my 4 year old kid with me, who enjoyed the first 15mins of the game. The rest was boring for her, so I spend the rest of the game with only one eye it and being distracted consistantly. So take this report for what its worth.

General
Weather was windy (diagonal across the ground) and after much rain on Saturday and Saturday night and several local game played the centre was a glue pot. The rest of the ground was in OK knick but lacked grass. So the wind was very strong and effected the skill of the game. Not a big mans game by any stretch.

Pies kicked against the wind in the first and opened up a nice break. We had the better of general play Bombers dominated the 2nd, but failed to put it on the board.

Pies just got the better of the third, and absolutely dominated the last and probably should have won by more. Although the local rag expressed that the Bombers wasted their opportunities.

Players Review.

Cos I very rarely get to see the VFL side to get to know body shapes and player styles and my eyes are pretty average these day, I struggled to pick up who was who. So Ill comment on who I noticed.

2) Ruzza didnt Play

14) Corrie BOG for me. Played wing and got a fair bit of it. Kicking still sloppy at times. But provided good run and carry. Got deep into the F50 on his own towards the end on the game.

19) Wood. Didnt take huge notice of his Ruck work. I felt that is pretty good at AFL level. It has been his ground work, 2nd efforts and general around the ground play that needed to improve IMO. This area of his game was much better against Bendigo. But still room for improvement If he can transfer this to AFL level, hell hold his spot as 2nd Ruck IMO. Should get a call up against North considering they play 3 rucks.

20 Ben Ried. I hold high hopes for him and is one that Ive ear marked early, despite bagging from my mates who think he is the worst AFL player in the AFL. So Ill grasp onto anything ATM Played CHB . Was good in the first half. His field kicking was excellent. Hit targets crisply. Not sure why people bag his kicking so much. Its just in front of the big stick he struggles. When he does sink the slipper in, it does go a long way. 2nd half wasnt as prominent. Doubt hell get a call up.

21) Wellingham. Played BP & HBF. May have gone into the middle a little. Didnt see a heap of him. Came off a few time with hard knocks. So I think he was in & under more than I noticed. Seems to have lost a little bit of the clean hand he had last year.

22) Sidebottom. Again didnt notice him a heap of him. But was in and under. Can lay a good tackle. His kicks were excellent.

29) Cook: Was excellent. One of the best. Shows poise when he has the ball and doesnt seem too rushed when under tackle pressure. Could be called up IMO

31) Dawes. Not a day for high marking. He was average as best. Good first Q. Saw on one instance where he had to go for a mark on a high ball on the wing and just stopped and let it fall amongst three bombers (who failed to mark it anyway). He had a clean run at it, but just stopped. He just had to go at it with arrogance and make it his ball. Not a good sign IMO.

37) Rounds. Impressed me. Set up some nice things.

40) Bear. Played forward and didnt do a lot. Again, not a day for talls ala Saturday.

44) Keefe. Like to see more of him before commenting.

46) Francis: Named in the best. Cant say I noticed anything much from him (told you to not rely on my eyes ) Probably in and under too much.

47). Blair. Like this kid. Show plenty of zip and dash. Kicking can let him down.

53) Peverill. The gap between an experience AFL player and kids trying to make it was obvious. Just clean with the hands. And strong in the contests.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:05 am

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/general/bombers-slump-to-third-loss/1496556.aspx

Quote:
Bombers slump to third loss
LUKE WEST
27/04/2009 8:53:00 AM
COLLINGWOOD yesterday inflicted the Bendigo Bank Bombers third consecutive defeat of the VFL season.
In their first home game at the Queen Elizabeth Oval for the season, the Bombers were held goalless after half-time as the Magpies won 13.11 (89) to 6.10 (46), leading for all but six minutes of the round three match.

Kicking against the wind to the Barnard Street end in the first term, the Magpies made a strong start to the game as they built a 12-point lead at quarter-time, 3.2 to 1.2.

Bendigos sole goal of the first quarter was kicked by key forward Jay Neagle at the nine-minute mark.

Playing a slick brand of football where they looked to play on at all costs, the Magpies dominant first term was kickstarted in the midfield, where they won all five centre breaks of the quarter, as well as the stoppages 5-1.

The Magpies opened the second quarter by kicking two of the first three goals to establish a threatening 19-point lead 11 minutes in.

However, between the 12 and 18-minute marks of the quarter, the Bombers kicked three unanswered goals through Tom German, Rhys Magin and Charles Slattery to cut the deficit to three points.

Integral in the Bombers revival in the second term was their ability to start winning the ball out of the centre.

After being torn apart in the first quarter in the middle, the Bombers won the centre breaks 7-3 in the second term and broke even 4-4 in the stoppages around the ground.

The midfield revival in the second term was led by ball magnet Paul Scanlon and Bachar Houli.

Collingwood went into half-time leading by nine points, 7.6 to 6.3.

Needing early goals to gain control of the contest in the third quarter, Bendigo wasted its opportunities in attack.

Bendigo had six scoring shots for the term, but all resulted in points, none of which were rushed.

Two of Bendigos third-quarter behinds were posters kicked by Scanlon and Magin.

As well as the six behinds, Neagle also kicked a gettable set shot out on the full early in the term that would have drawn the Bombers within a point.

While Bendigo kicked six points for the quarter, down the other end, Collingwood kicked two goals from its only two scoring shots.

Both Collingwoods third-quarter goals were kicked by livewire Magpies rookie Johnny Bennell, who finished the game with three.

Despite having three times as many scoring shots as Collingwood in the third term, the Bombers deficit had grown from nine points at half-time to 15 at three quarter-time.

Both sides had the same amount of scoring shots to three quarter-time - Collingwood leading 9.6 to 6.9.

But the last quarter would be all one-way traffic as the Magpies finished the game strongly.

Collingwood landed the early blow in the final term when the lively Anthony Corrie goaled at the five-minute mark to extend the Magpies lead to 21 points.

Corries would be the first of four last-quarter goals the Magpies kicked.

The Bombers could only muster one behind in the final term - to Scanlon at the 13-minute mark - meaning Bendigos last seven scoring shots of the game were all points.

Such was Collingwoods dominance in the final term, it went inside its forward 50 20 times to the Bombers six, and won all five centre breaks.

Unassuming half-back flanker Blair Holmes was named the Bombers best.

Holmes finished with 16 possessions, but his defensive pressure was outstanding, laying eight tackles.

Others to perform well included the in-form Cale Hooker, who started in defence before ending the game in the ruck, midfielders Houli (25 possessions) and Scanlon (29 possessions), wingman Tyson Slattery and John Williams.

Neagle and Charles Slattery each kicked two goals to be among just four goalkickers for the Bombers.

Lachlan Delahunty - classed as the Bombers 23rd player for the match under a new VFL rule for the round - showed plenty of promise.

Playing up forward, the 18-year-old in his first game presented well, but his kicking at goal in the tricky conditions let him down.

From three shots in the third quarter, Delahunty kicked two points, as well as one that didnt make the distance.

The best players for Collingwood included Brad Dick, who kicked two goals, Corrie, Ryan Cook, ruckman Cameron Wood and captain Damien Peverill, who played five games for Bendigo last year while on Essendons list.

Former Bendigo Pioneer Toby Thoolen - now a rookie at Collingwood - played in defence for the Magpies.

The guys showed some real good fight in the second quarter to come back against the wind, but in that third quarter we just couldnt put scoreboard pressure on, which hurts, Bombers coach Adrian Hickmott said.

Collingwood was able to capitalise with their run and carry and make us pay after we had our opportunities.

Statistically, Collingwood won the inside-50 count (49-35), centre breaks (14-10) and stoppages (23-14).

The 43-point loss leaves the Bombers second-last on the ladder, with Bendigo, Geelong and Frankston the only sides not to have won a game after three rounds.

Bendigo has the bye next week before confronting reigning premier North Ballarat at Stawell on May 10.
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:32 am

Sidebottom has a very slight build, I'd like to see him stay in the VFL for the majority of the season.

Reid and Thoolen need to play CHB and FB for the whole season so that at least one of them improves enough to be a viable replacement for Presti in the next year or two.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:45 am

melliot wrote:

31) Dawes. Not a day for high marking. He was average as best. Good first Q. Saw on one instance where he had to go for a mark on a high ball on the wing and just stopped and let it fall amongst three bombers (who failed to mark it anyway). He had a clean run at it, but just stopped. He just had to go at it with arrogance and make it his ball. Not a good sign IMO.

Geez, i cant say im too happy about reading that part!

lethalburns Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 am

the worry for me is sidebottom.

i just hope we didn't get sucked in with this kid.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:56 am

^ Cos my eyes struggle these days and my 4year old, wanted to hang onto the binoculars all day, it was hard for me to see who was doing the in and under work (i.e. Stanley/Sidey/etc) unless it was on the wing where I was sitting. and cos it was an in and under type day, it made it hard for me to identify the hard workers.

So just don't go off what I say regarding Sidey. He is pretty clean and crisp, what I did see of him.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 am

melliot wrote:
^ Cos my eyes struggle these days and my 4year old, wanted to hang onto the binoculars all day, it was hard for me to see who was doing the in and under work (i.e. Stanley/Sidey/etc) unless it was on the wing where I was sitting. and cos it was an in and under type day, it made it hard for me to identify the hard workers.

So just don't go off what I say regarding Sidey. He is pretty clean and crisp, what I did see of him.

Stanley, Cook, Francis and Blair where under most of the packs.

Stanners was the hardest at it, tried a bit too hard though and his effectiveness suffered for it. MM has put far too much pressure on the kid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: