Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought I understood the significance and sacrifice until we went to Gallipoli last year.

Standing on the same ground, the ages on the too may gravestones , looking at the enemy trenches so close to each other, visiting Lone Pine ( where a plaque for my hubby’s great grandfather – lost in battle and his brother lost at sea presumed dead were placed), and the Kiwi and Turkish memorials gave me a very different understanding.

Later that night as we sat in a restaurant/bar in Canakkale somewhat morose absorbed by the experience a group of Turkish women and men invited us to join them for a drink.

You are Aussie yes?
Yes we are
You have come to honour your fallen?
Yes we have
As have we – you are welcome in our country
Thank you
You know we would have welcomed you as visitors to our country without the loss of young life we both of us suffered
We understand this and say thank you
We talk of our countries and drink – some of us tea, some of us soft drink and many of us wine!

And in the end we raise a glass to the words of Atatürk for without these words we all feel that such a civilised and reasonable discussion between us may probably not have occurred.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

LEST WE FORGET

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 am

Morrigu wrote:
I really thought I understood the significance and sacrifice until we went to Gallipoli last year.

Standing on the same ground, the ages on the too may gravestones , looking at the enemy trenches so close to each other, visiting Lone Pine ( where a plaque for my hubby’s great grandfather – lost in battle and his brother lost at sea presumed dead were placed), and the Kiwi and Turkish memorials gave me a very different understanding.

Later that night as we sat in a restaurant/bar in Canakkale somewhat morose absorbed by the experience a group of Turkish women and men invited us to join them for a drink.

You are Aussie yes?
Yes we are
Yes we have
Thank you
You know we would have welcomed you as visitors to our country without the loss of young life we both of us suffered
We talk of our countries and drink – some of us tea, some of us soft drink and many of us wine!

And in the end we raise a glass to the words of Atatürk for without these words we all feel that such a civilised and reasonable discussion between us may probably not have occurred.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

LEST WE FORGET

Beautiful.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 am

Some moving posts in this thread. Best wishes to those Nicksters for whom this is an important family day, and gratitude to all who put themselves on the line or bear the emotional toll - then and now. Respect.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 am

It means a fair bit for me, my Dad served right thru WW2 six years , and three of my great Uncles were killed in WW1. I am marching for them in Melbourne today, as I have done for a few years now, wearing their medals. I will reflect on the day at the Shrine, have a couple of beers at Y and Js, then back home down to the local RSL for lunch, and to watch the big game on the big screen in the Members bar. Dad was very anti war, as I am, and I reflect on the terrible loss of young lives in all wars, still happening today. Give peace a chance, as John Lennon said. Lest we Forget.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 am

die4pies wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

You are Aussie yes?
Yes we are
Yes we have
Thank you

LEST WE FORGET

Beautiful.

Agreed.

I have spent some time re-reading the thread, and appreciate the time everyone has taken to share their stories.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:24 pm

BUMP

For John Wrens annual thread

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:30 pm

My commen on Page 1 of this thread says what it means to me
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Quote:
The Dawn Service is a major part of the tradition of ANZAC Day and harks back to the military practice of 'standing to' at dawn. Each dawn and dusk, the most favourable times for attack, soldiers were called to 'stand to' and manned their posts in full kit, ready to repulse enemy attacks or launch their own.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Huge day. My youngest daughter turns 13 tomorrow. She's 7th generation Aussie. Dad was in the SAS, lotsa uncles, cousins and other family have served.

Big day at the Daicos Bar in Greenwood WA watching the greatest team in the world dismantle Hirdys mob... Can't wait!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:16 pm

less and less comments as the years go by but it is still a good read.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
Anzac Day is the most important day of the year for me.

It's the time i remember all those that fought in any of the overseas conflicts that Australia has been part of.

It's a time i reflect on my Grandfathers' time in WWI and WWII.
It's a time i reflect on my 2nd Cousin's selfless acts which earnt him a V.C and an M.C during WWI and ultimely led to his death (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/cherry-vc.htm)
It's a time i reflect on my own Father's service under the United Nations Banner in the Korean War from 51 - 53.

I start the day early, putting my my father's medals and my paternal grandfather's medals (and my own one little medal), attending the dawn service at the Ringwood Cenataph. Pick up my mother, who wears my father's minature medals and her father's medals, and we then make our way to join the Korean Vets in the city to march with them to the Shrine of Rememberance.

It's a very solemn and emotional time for us as we march with these brave men to the Shrine.

After marching to the Shrine, we walk to the MCG to try and get there for the Last Post. I get very emotional when this is played (even typing that, i get emotional) and then, we hope to hell that Collingwood wins.

It's a long day, and one which i'm honoured to play a small part in.

LEST WE FORGET

just thought I'd rehash this post from page 1. Still means the same to me today

uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

I have led a charmed life and not had to worry about fighting in a war.

I travelled up country on the weekend and stopped in at dad's home town where he grew up, Culgoa, for lunch on Good Friday.
There at the local picnic park was a simple memorial dedicated to the men of the district who had fought in the wars. Included in the names were those of my Uncles Tom and Kevin who had served in the navy and air force respectively in WWII.
Kevin is still with us but Tom passed away in 89. Neither of them spoke about their war time experiences to me when I was young. I admit that I have taken their efforts for granted, along with their fellow soldiers.
I try not to do that any more. Anzac Day provides me with a brilliant focus to aspire to continue to do this.
As a newcomer to this site, the stories on this thread have moved me. They reveal the fabric of people's family bonds, emotions and aspirations amongst the tumult of the wars that Australia has been engaged in.

Lest we forget.

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm

My father died on Anzac Day aged 56
He served in New Britain as a member of the ill fated Lark Force and later recovered, retrained and joined the medical corps and served in New Guinea. He witnessed the aftermath of the Tol massacre and was mentioned in despatches. After the war he devoted himself to saving lives.
His dad served in WW1 on the Western Front. The both loved Collingwood and went to every game they could.
Dad loved catching up with his cronies and brothers in the members at Vic Park. These days he would have been treated for post traumatic stress disorder, but that was not the case back then.
Anzac Day and Collingwood have for many reasons been important to me.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm

In mid 1914 my grandfather was renting a house in Turner Street across the road from the pocket at Vic Park. His landlord was none other than Mr.Wren. My grandad lost his job and eventually joined the infantry and moved out of Turner Street. He sailed to Alexandria and then was part of the landings on ANZAC Day. He got shot and was taken to a hospital ship in the Mediterranean
He hoped desperately to go home but went sent to the Somme to witness unspeakable carnage.

Every ANZAC Day I bring his soldier compass he carried in Gallipoli to the footy and remember him. He was a mad Pies supporter. Go Pies!

Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 pm

My grandfather went to England & France in WW1 - we still have his diary describing his trip from Australia to the battlefields in France....my father fought in Borneo and was in Sandakan around 2 months after the Japanese evacuated...I came to the Melb dawn services in 2011 where I wore his medals (my dad passed away in 2010), 2012 and will make the trip again next year on the 100th anniversary...I will go to centennial park cemetary on friday and place a poppy on my grandfathers and my fathers plaque....they fought for what makes this country the best place to live in....LEST WE FORGET.

Last edited by Ian on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16   

Jump to: