Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
MagpieMel wrote:
I think that this needs to remain what it started as a place for people to express what Anzac Day means to them, not as place to take up debates.

If that's what you feel you must do please start up a new thread.

the intention of the thread was to read about the connections nicksters' had with the first world war.

Quote:
i'm not wishing to trivialise the deeds of those that served or glorify the concept of war but i'm sure the majority of you will have something that gives the day meaning to you.

i respect there are differing views about what happened but there's a time and place for political commentary and this thread was not meant to be it. it's been ruined somewhat.

anyone have any new stories to share?

woods4eva Pisces

The power of Collingwood compels you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Am coming to Melbourne for the dawn service and match this year - bringing my fathers medals who passed away last september with me to wear. He fought in WW2 in Borneo and was at Sandakan just after the Japanese left so he saw some of the conditions that our soldiers had to contend with. Feel that we should thank all those that have fought for this country and given us the lifestyle that we have now.

SA Magpies Member

samagpies.magpies.net

Last edited by woods4eva on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:55 am

Will be thinking of my late Dad on the big day, six year WW2 vet, 1939-45, wear his medals on the day at our cenotaph. Miss him a lot, wish he hadve seen the Pies win the flag, a very emotional day for us.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 am

I remember my father every day, especially on ANZAC Day, as he was a WW2 veteran and he died April 25 1977. I still have his old CFC membership medallion. The fact he made it past 20 in 1942 was a miracle and he packed a lot into his life. He sure loved the Pies and a beer over in the members on a Saturday arvo with some of his old comrades helped to ease the painful experiences that sometimes haunted him. I often wonder whether later generations would make the same sacrifices my parents and grandparents generations did.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 am

This ANZAC Day my wife and I are going to be in Ypres, Belgium where the Menin Gate Memorial is and many battlefield cemeteries.

There are tens of thousands of Australians buried in the area, many without graves who fought in WW1 and WW2.

My Great Grand Father Edmund Donnelly was an Australian soldier who was killed in action on 25th September 1917, at the beginning of the Battle of Polygon Wood. There is no grave, only a name on a panel inside the Menin Gate Memorial.

I am going to find out a little bit more about what happened to him and to understand better his sacrifice.

To me ANZAC Day is a remembrance of the sacrifice others have made, often with their lives. And as the date commemorates the landing at Gallipoli, it also represents the futility of war, and as such it should not be about the glorification of war.

We should remember their sacrifice.

Edmund Donnelly: http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_honour/person.asp?p=572420

This is the death notice from the Ballarat Star.

Pte Edmund Joseph Donnelly was killed in action on 25th September, 1915, with the 14th Reinforcements to the 8th Battalion, and was wounded about 15 months ago. Upon recovering he was transferred to the 58th Battalion. He was a native of Navigators, and leaves a widow and seven young children to mourn their loss. There are three brothers, one Michael, being on active service in France. Mrs Henderson and Mrs george Hughes, of Ballarat, are sisters of the fallen soldier. His sorrowing widow resides in Eureka street, Ballarat East.

edmund donnelly.jpg

Edmund Donnelly

Magpie Camo Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 pm

For all those who are interested in researching a family member who served, you can search for the person and view digital copies of documents here.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/NameSearchForm.aspx

I know WWI and WWII documents are available, not sure about more recent campaigns though.

Lest We Forget.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Magpie Camo wrote:
For all those who are interested in researching a family member who served, you can search for the person and view digital copies of documents here.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/NameSearchForm.aspx

I know WWI and WWII documents are available, not sure about more recent campaigns though.

Lest We Forget.

Last time I checked most of the WW1 service records were digitised and available to view for free. Some WW2 service records are digitised while others are not. A small fee will get the full set.

Worth checking out - page 1 of my grandfather's records revealed a conviction for "indecent exposure"!
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Before 1995, ANZAC day had little significance other than a reference to a point in history, like Armistice Day, a day to reflect on an era long ago.

Since 1995, my first and pretty much only association with ANZAC day is the football match.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Anzac Day for me is to remember my grandfathers, my dads father served in the Australian Army, as did my dad. My mothers father served in the British Navy, I was named after her father, I only knew of him he died when I was very young. I don't think I ever met my other grandfather, he had shrapnel in his stomach that they couldn't remove, and it caused his death later in life.

My dad has his medals and pulls them out from time to time, and he talks about his father. He also tells us stories about himself serving in the Army as well. Only in October did I get a story of how he died, and the pain he suffered towards the end of his life.

My other grandfather died from a brain tumour, his family came to Australia just after London was bombed by the Germans. I have a photo of the ship he served on, I do not remember the name but there was a photo of it around. Also photos of him as well. My cousin joined the cadets, but I do not believe he actually served in the army. Just in the cadets.

Anzac Day also makes me remember my uncle who passed away in 1996, before my family moved into my aunts old house he came over just after the Anzac Day win against Essendon. He and dad both did this thing where they would take a headline, and twist into a fake little story just to make a rise out of people. The last time I remember talking to him, he had said that Collingwood were stripped of the points. Dad still does stuff like this when reading headlines, even when they don't pertain to Collingwood, or even the local side.

I was only 11 when my uncle passed away, he and dad used to always take me to football games my uncle also came and watched me play when I was a kid. Also got a bit of coaching from both he and dad as they both played and my uncle coached.

Every time we goto North Hobart Oval, dad points out the place where he and Tony used to stand to watch the games. Every time I watch a Collingwood game, every time I see Glenorchy play I remember him. But Anzac Day brings back the memories of his final ever visit to our house, before he passed away.

Anzac Day for me is not only the remembrance of those who served and died, but members of my family that have passed away and just the little memories I have of family as well.

It will have been 15 years in May, but I am sure during the Anzac Day clash the memories of my uncle coming up and cheering on the Pies will return.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 am

You the mothers, who sent your sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace...

Mustafa Ataturk, 1934

I was unable to attend the Anzac Day game this year but here are some thoughts from last year.

Getting to the “G” early on Anzac Day is a must. Soaking it all up and seeing the crowd arrive. Soldiers, sailors and airmen walk amongst the crowd collecting for Legacy. I buy my usual slouch hat badge and pin it to my Pies cap in a prominent place. I was not an Anzac and was not able to fight in either world war. But I am here on Sunday 25th April 2010 thinking of them that I have known. My granddad, Ernie “Bruv” Newell, was a veteran of WWI and WWII. He was gassed, shot and suffered in the mud, but he went back for more in “the second show” and was shot (again) and suffered in the desert and the jungles. He did however come back. He was too young in 1914 and too old in 1939 but went anyway. His medals were left to me and now hang on my wall. But I did not earn those medals.

“Wanna free bet?” I am asked by a promotions girl.
“No thanks” I reply.

Betting is the furthest thing from my mind today. I am with the milling crowd waiting for the 12:30 opening of the gate. Food is what I need first. I make my way to a van and get something to eat and drink and sit watching the ever-growing number of people coming from all sides. I hear snippets of conversation that are usual banter. Then I see a rather largish guy. He is a bald, tattooed with goatee beard, Collingwood supporter along with an Essendon friend and one other (presumably neutral). The bombers supporter stops to buy an Anzac badge and “goatee” continues talking to the third. They are close so I can hear them quite clearly.

“Yeah mate its Anzac Day. Y’know it’s Collingwood and Essendon and that. It’s y’know -FAAARK.”

Bomber mate catches up and they go.

They are mates and they are able to go to the footy together.

Food finished time to head in. Corporates stride amongst the throng suited and booted, “special tickets” fluttering from button holes. Fans are there in force scarved and capped, some painted some not. Jumpers numbered and signed too big for little ones who struggle to walk, talk, eat and keep up with the family are everywhere. Surprisingly a queue to get in even this early tells me the crowd will be big. Up to the Member’s Bar to have a few with the crew.

In our seats and the call to stand for the Anzac Ode of Remembrance hats are off –

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

Following the silence the ROAR signals the game now starts.

We remember the fallen at a football game, a place where many of those that did not return would have played or watched their teams battle it out for football prizes.

And that is why we do it so that we do not forget and hope among hope that it will never happen again.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 am

How did you get there?
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:45 am

My Dads father was killed in WW2, not long after Dad was conceived. Dad was then adopted out as his mother could not raise him alone back then.
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37 pm

My mum's older brother left the farm at age 14. Joined the Airforce, served as a paratrooper.
2 of my in-laws served in subsequent wars.
If there's anything to learn, it's the misery of it all, and that mateship counts.
So, I guess for me, Anzac Day is about being respectful esp to those who served on the front, & mindful of hard lessons learnt.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm

my annual bump.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I don't have any family connection that was in the Australian Army, but I did have family that were in the army back in WWII in Europe.

ANZAC Day for me is a day to reflect and appreciate what every Australian soldier has done for this great country. I think it's important to acknowledge those who fought in the wars, as they did fight for our freedoms which we take for granted somewhat today. While we may not agree with whether we should be fighting in wars, we must always thank and appreciate the soldiers who do so as they do risk themselves everyday to make our country a better place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16   

Jump to: