Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buttsy-Bells 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A very emotional day for me also. My late father, Stan, was a proud Rat of Tobruk. I had the honour and pleasure last year, for the first time, of attending the Dawn Service with my three adult kids, after which we proceeded to the game (with refreshment at Y and J's on the way).

Just reading this thread brings a tear to the eye. The Last Post is always moving, with my hand on heart and thoughts of Dad and his digger mates. After seeing off the Germans at Tobruk, Dad was posted to New Guinea, where he was shot in the stomach at close range by a Jap. The bullet passed through a tobacco tin and pill tin given to him by my Mum and saved his life. Dad died at 55 and his funeral was the first I had attended. Through the emotion I clearly remember the words of the minister reflecting on Dad being a Rat of Tobruk - "Stan didn't die for his country, BUT HE WAS PREPARED TO ". All of our veterans left our shores, I'm sure, with that possibility in mind. That's why they are heroes and deserve every ounce of respect we can pay them.

Shake a digger's hand with a "well done cobber" - particularly on Anzac Day.

Hurricane 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow the day must be so moving for you with such a great involvement from your family. What's your medal for Jacqui?

Proud Pies wrote:
Anzac Day is the most important day of the year for me.

It's the time i remember all those that fought in any of the overseas conflicts that Australia has been part of.

It's a time i reflect on my Grandfathers' time in WWI and WWII.
It's a time i reflect on my 2nd Cousin's selfless acts which earnt him a V.C and an M.C during WWI and ultimely led to his death (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/cherry-vc.htm)
It's a time i reflect on my own Father's service under the United Nations Banner in the Korean War from 51 - 53.

I start the day early, putting my my father's medals and my paternal grandfather's medals (and my own one little medal), attending the dawn service at the Ringwood Cenataph. Pick up my mother, who wears my father's minature medals and her father's medals, and we then make our way to join the Korean Vets in the city to march with them to the Shrine of Rememberance.

It's a very solemn and emotional time for us as we march with these brave men to the Shrine.

After marching to the Shrine, we walk to the MCG to try and get there for the Last Post. I get very emotional when this is played (even typing that, i get emotional) and then, we hope to hell that Collingwood wins.

It's a long day, and one which i'm honoured to play a small part in.

LEST WE FORGET
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Magpie Camo wrote:
This peom tugs at my heart strings as it describes my Grandad, and i'm sure a lot of other's Dads or Grandads perfectly.

It encapsulates my feelings for our Diggers.

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER (A Soldier Died Today) original by A. Lawrence Vaincourt. 1985
Slightly edited by Col Elliot.

that's a great poem, thank you for posting it

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm

crass wrote:
Jacqui aka Proud Pies...
what does "a sticky mean"?

just means that the thread is kept at the top of all the threads (like the pre-game threads are kept up at the top until after the game).

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 pm

^

Ditto. Makes me remember my uncle. He spent several years in changi and came back a very changed man. My mum was just a kid and told me stories about how he came back and everyone was on eggshells around him for a long time. he wouldn't talk about what happened, except to a few mates at the RSL which he helped found.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Hurricane wrote:
Wow the day must be so moving for you with such a great involvement from your family. What's your medal for Jacqui?

Proud Pies wrote:
Anzac Day is the most important day of the year for me.

It's the time i remember all those that fought in any of the overseas conflicts that Australia has been part of.

It's a time i reflect on my Grandfathers' time in WWI and WWII.
It's a time i reflect on my 2nd Cousin's selfless acts which earnt him a V.C and an M.C during WWI and ultimely led to his death (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/cherry-vc.htm)
It's a time i reflect on my own Father's service under the United Nations Banner in the Korean War from 51 - 53.

I start the day early, putting my my father's medals and my paternal grandfather's medals (and my own one little medal), attending the dawn service at the Ringwood Cenataph. Pick up my mother, who wears my father's minature medals and her father's medals, and we then make our way to join the Korean Vets in the city to march with them to the Shrine of Rememberance.

It's a very solemn and emotional time for us as we march with these brave men to the Shrine.

After marching to the Shrine, we walk to the MCG to try and get there for the Last Post. I get very emotional when this is played (even typing that, i get emotional) and then, we hope to hell that Collingwood wins.

It's a long day, and one which i'm honoured to play a small part in.

LEST WE FORGET

My medal is just the Australian Service Medal, i served 8 1/4 years in the RAAF, during Peace Time of the late 70's early 80's. (Everyone who served their minimum Service after WWII is now awarded this medal, it was decreed about 3 years ago)

optimax 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:56 pm

This song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY

My grandparents fought for Italy but ive always been brought up with a sound history of the Australian army and my dad is of the age that the Vietnam war was very close to home (he just missed conscription a couple of times).

I have the utmost respect for all our veterans, and love the fact we can celebrate them like we do

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm

optimax wrote:
This song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY

My grandparents fought for Italy but ive always been brought up with a sound history of the Australian army and my dad is of the age that the Vietnam war was very close to home (he just missed conscription a couple of times).

I have the utmost respect for all our veterans, and love the fact we can celebrate them like we do

Mate, I love that song but I'll call and raise you this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

I hope the day never comes when nobody marches at all.

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 am

Allen John Gibson Cleary (Great-Great Grandfather)
22nd Battalion
14th Reinforcement
Left Melbourne in July 1916.
Lost his leg in battle and returned to Australia November 1917.

Allen's brother James Joseph, also left on the same boat as him and died back in Melbourne of injuries sustained in battle. Allen's son, Allen sold peanuts at Victoria Park.

Francis Cleary (Great Grandfather)
Son of Allen (above)
VX28141
4th Anti-Tank Regiment
POW Thai-Burma Railway

(In this photo is his mate 'Fitzy' (L) - I found out this is Thomas Fitzpatrick and he died as a prisoner of war in Siam)

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Confused One aspect of the Diggers of both World wars, and Korea,is that these returned servicemen got virtally nil support emotionally or psycholgically when they got home-unlike the later conflicts. My Dad, 6th Div, Artillery AIF,wounded twice at Bardia and in New guinea, like so many vets, got nothing like that. After six years of war, he came back, got demobbed,a handsake, "thanks for that, now bugger off and get a job." No ongoing support at all, zilch.
Yet, like so many, he worked hard, raised a family in Highett, and was on school committes, and community projects. It was only a few years ago that he told us he still had nightmares about Crete and new guinea,and that he felt that he did something in new guinea that made him a war criminal. I wont go into it here, but he blamed himself, but in reality he was totally innocent, as we told him time and again. At age 90, the terrible memories never left him, and he told us a number of times they were as real to him as if they were yesterday.
These are the sort of things Anzac day is, the loss of so many young blokes, the horrors of warfare,and what it does to decent men. I will be thinking of all this when I march for him, and remembering what he always told us, "Those most in favour of war are always those who have never experienced its horrors themselves,the armchair patriots."Amen Dad. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Tilly18 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:02 pm

My dad's granddad fought in WW1.
He fought in Turkey.
We go to the Dawn Service every year, last year dad when to Turkey for the one over there.
I buy a poppy every year, and I wear it.
For school we're going to a service tomorrow, which I'm really looking forward to.

Magpie Camo Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Tilly18 wrote:
My dad's granddad fought in WW1.
He fought in Turkey.
We go to the Dawn Service every year, last year dad when to Turkey for the one over there.
I buy a poppy every year, and I wear it.
For school we're going to a service tomorrow, which I'm really looking forward to.

That's great to hear Tilly.

Back when I was at school we sold ANZAC Tokens during the week leading up to April 25th. Not sure if it still happens these days. If not, maybe you could approach your local RSL and offer to help, I'm sure they would appreciate the support. All money raised from the sale of ANZAC Tokens helps support Veterans and their families.

So to all of you, help a Digger, buy a Token.

ANZAC badge.jpg

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 pm

What's your favorite store? What kind of fashion do you like?
Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 pm

You know, one of the significant things that have emerged in consideration of Oz military history in recent times has been the movement away from an absolute focus on Gallipoli to an increasing widening of attention to include the Western Front too.

'Twas in France and Flanders that the majority of Australian kiddies copped it and contributed to our greatest victories over the Bosch.

We need balance in our national posturing - Gallipoli, a mistake and a withdrawal up against Europa where our lads both died in apocryphal numbers and excelled in the war business - delivering the enemy (please read German) their comeuppance by 1918.

Many magnificent Magpies gave their lives during this nasty business and we should remember them well.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Tell me a story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16   

Jump to: