Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this topic should be a sticky

what say you mods?

jimbeam 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Its one of the best days of the year, a day for the diggers who died for this great country, to me the Anzac Day game is a gift from all the diggers who fought for such a freedom.

I just hope the umpires put the whistles away or they will have some blokes turning in the grave at how soft the game has become.
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Nothing more meaningful. For me a reminder of respect, for anyone anywhere who's ever stood up in sacrifice for others.

Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 am

My grandpa was in WW2 ( i marched with him when i was like 5)and Dad was in airforce, and as a young boy i was in cadets.

So while no direct connection really, it has been something my family has always considered important.

I rememeber when i first started in cadets, we used to turn up at 5 in the morning, and for the whole service there would be the diggers, us and usually our mums. 20 people all up and the statue was pretty ordinary.

Now, only 10 years later, that same venue gets about 3000 people and it is great to see.

I think Anzac says less about war itself, and more about the character of the men who fight in them. The strength of character, the sense of purpose, strength of mateship and the overwhelming sense of heroism and bravery. Not hollywood bravery, i mean the real stuff.

I mean, young boys, younger than the blokes who play for our club many of them, being stuck with absolute fear, and yet still managing to do their duty despite their fear. To sacrifice themsleves because they believed in a greater cause, whether that be "freedom from tyranny" or to protect their mates.

Australia's most important day. No question.

And as much as I love this game, I really dislike how the AFL has made it a themed round effectively and it has become about the AFL in War day rather than a game to honour the diggers. But that is a minor point.

Gen George S Patton.
US 3rd Army.
Magpie Camo Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 am

This peom tugs at my heart strings as it describes my Grandad, and i'm sure a lot of other's Dads or Grandads perfectly.

It encapsulates my feelings for our Diggers.

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER (A Soldier Died Today) original by A. Lawrence Vaincourt. 1985
Slightly edited by Col Elliot.

He was getting old and paunchy
And his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around  the clubrooms,
Telling stories from the past.

Of a war that he had fought in
And the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his mates;
They were heroes, every one.

And 'tho sometimes to his neighbours
His tales became a joke,
All his mates listened
For they knew of where he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
For ol' Bob has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer
You see a Soldier died today.

No he won't be mourned by many,
Just his children and his wife.
For he lived an ordinary,
Very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family,
Quietly going on his way;
And the world won't note his passing,
'Tho a Soldier died today.

When some politicians leave this earth,
Their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing,
And proclaim how they were great.

Papers tell of their life stories
From the time that they were young
But the passing of a Soldier
Goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution
To the welfare of our land,
Some bloke who breaks his promises
And cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary bloke
in times of war and strife,
Who goes off to serve his country
And offer up his life?

Our ordinary Soldier,
He offers up his all,
And he’s paid off with a medal
And perhaps a pension, small.

It's so easy to forget them,
For it is was so long ago
That our Bobs and Jims and Johnnys,
Went to battle, but we know,

It is not the politicians
With their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom
That our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger,
With your enemies at hand,
Would you really want some cop-out,
With his ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a Soldier--
Who has sworn that he’d defend,
His home, his kin, his country
And fight on until the end.

He was just a common Soldier,
And his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us that
We may need his likes again.

For when countries are in conflict,
Then we find the Soldier's part
Is to clean up all the trouble
That the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honour
While he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage
At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline
In the paper that might say:

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
YOU SEE A SOLDIER DIED TODAY”
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 am

42 wrote:

And as much as I love this game, I really dislike how the AFL has made it a themed round effectively and it has become about the AFL in War day rather than a game to honour the diggers. But that is a minor point.

i know it's different economies, different sizes but the nzru have invited all nz servicemen past and present to attend a s14 game at no charge this weekend as a small token of their appreciaiton for their services.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 am

To me ANZAC day is not about war, its about people.

We, the people, gather together to remember and honour the people that performed the heroic deeds that allow the people to freely gather together.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 am

Dragme wrote:
It really means nothing to me. This year it falls on a Saturday and it has even less meaning.

I hate wars and all it may bring. The whole kit and caboodle sucks.

Sorry.... But thats how I feel.

I understand that many have lost their lives...... But many will die this year as well. What makes their death less noble?

Mate, no veteran i have ever met has ever loved war in anyway, they all hate it to a man. My dad hated war, and all it stood for, and he did not like to see Anzac day used as some jingo nationalistic booze up. He always saw it just as a day to remember fallen mates who did not return, and old mates since passed away. None of us here golrify war in anyway, we are all anti war, but we just take time out to think that the young guys who lost their lives, gave all their todays so that we could all have a decent and safe future. Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm

dillo_09 wrote:
To me ANZAC day is not about war, its about people.

We, the people, gather together to remember and honour the people that performed the heroic deeds that allow the people to freely gather together.

Beautifully put Dillo

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Dragme wrote:
It really means nothing to me. This year it falls on a Saturday and it has even less meaning.

I hate wars and all it may bring. The whole kit and caboodle sucks.

Sorry.... But thats how I feel.

I understand that many have lost their lives...... But many will die this year as well. What makes their death less noble?

Mate, no veteran i have ever met has ever loved war in anyway, they all hate it to a man. My dad hated war, and all it stood for, and he did not like to see Anzac day used as some jingo nationalistic booze up. He always saw it just as a day to remember fallen mates who did not return, and old mates since passed away. None of us here golrify war in anyway, we are all anti war, but we just take time out to think that the young guys who lost their lives, gave all their todays so that we could all have a decent and safe future. Wink

Agreed, my Father would never speak about his time in Korea until shortly before he died, when he actually told us what had transpired. I see my father as a hero for his role in rescuing many soldiers including past RSL National President Digger James from a mine field where many of the battallion had been killed.

piester 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Means a lot to me. My grandfather (97 and still going strong) served in the British Army, was evacuated off of Dunkirk and served in Middle East and Europe. Mum was born in August 1939 and he went to war in September, my Mum didn't see him again until 1945 and had no idea who he was when he first came home!

I joined the RAAF in 1978 and served over fifteen years, and have attended Anzac day services for as long as I can remember. Attend the dawn service in Kings Park in Perth which is growing in number every year (30,000 last year). For me it is a time of reflection not about war, but about sacrifice, mateship and Australian spirit. Also an opportunity to pay my respects to the many humble servicemen and servicewomen who have served and given their all for their county.

Whilst serving in the Middle East myself I had the privelege to attend Anzac day service in Beersheba Israel, the location of the charge of the Australian Lighthorse.

Whether you are pro or anti war it doesn't matter, what does is the fact that a group of people have made a sacrifice to give us a wonderful country and lifestyle. So attend a dawn service or Anzac day parade and just be respectful. Then after that cheer home the Pies against the Bombers!!

piester 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm

P.S. Anyone wanting a good read Anzac day should read 'Gallipoli' by Les Carylon. It doesn't glorify war, but gives a warts and all view of the Anzac campaign.
crass 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:07 pm

for me personally ANZAC Day is very emotional...
my grandfather who brought me up was seconded to the British Army being part of the Cypriot Army...
his stories of the Australian Digger and how well he was treated by them and what brave men they were during some horrific battles in North Africa and Greece...

he always maintained that the turning point in coming to Australia was when he was the only non Aussie in a cell in Alexandria with a bunch of happy and generous drunks who shared what they had with him.

he migrated here through the front door as a result of serving in the Commonwealth Forces...

My daughters great uncle Oscar Donald Hassel died at Lone Pine at Gallipoli was part of the 10th Light Horse...

It's a day i can show gratitude and respect...

i smile reading the other posts thinking maybe it was your family member the old man met...

crass 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Jacqui aka Proud Pies...
what does "a sticky mean"?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

It should be an occasion to recall the absolute horror of war and the terrible slaughter of life around the world, usually in the name of God and country.

While I am one who believes the only 'honorable' war we have been in was the defence of our own country and the fight against fascism in WWII, I feel enormously for the young men over the past 100 years who were sent away from our shores to fight for reasons which are hard/impossible to justify. At the end of the day, they simply fulfilled their duty and many paid the ultimate sacrifice. It is only fitting that we honor their memories, but resolve to do all in our power to prevent future wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16   

Jump to: