Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

droversdog65 wrote:
Of course they came predominantly from the cities WPT - they were the then as they are now by far the largest concentration of population as in any country.

What a strange comment to make.

Some of you really do take the strangest slant on things.

I'm done with this thread.

My response came from this part of your post:

"Many of the young men from the stations and the bush towns marched to war, young men so tough in body and heart that they were the envy of the front line. .....".

&

..... These then were the ANZAC'S, there was no high minded oratory that motivated them it was a simple case of doing what had to be done....

It omits the fact that there was a huge anti war / anti conscription part of Australia at the time that was likely unintended on your part I'm sure. It's that part of Anzac Day that is excluded when talking about WW1.

But commemorate it any way you want to. I have a lot of respect for those attending services on this day including the the victims, the mothers who lost their sons & all others involved.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
Magpie Camo wrote:
Woods wrote:
But now we have civilians wearing the medals of their service relatives, medals that they have no right to wear because they did not earn them. A travesty.

Sorry Woods, but you are very wrong about this.

Whether you like it or not, I am fully entitled to wear the medals of my Great Grandfather and both Grandfathers.

Defence Act 1903
Part VIIIC
Section 80B
Sub Section 2 wrote:

Where the person upon whom a service decoration was conferred has died, it is not an offence against subsection (1) for a member of the family of that person to wear the service decoration if the member of the family does not represent himself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred.

To correctly wear service medals of a deceased family member, in a way so as to not represent yourself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred, you must wear them on the right hand side, not the left, and that's exactly what i'll be doing on Saturday.

me too, as I wear my Grandfather's WWI medals and my Father's medals on my left and my own medal on the right, whilst I march as a Descendent of 2 WWI veterans.

AND PROUD

LEST WE FORGET

What's your medal PP if I may ask?

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:26 am

watt price tully wrote:

Often referred to as the 'I turned up medal.'

Australian Defence Medal.

Quote:
The Australian Defence Medal recognises current and former Australian Defence Force personnel who completed an initial enlistment period, or four years service, whichever was the lesser.

I served 8 years, during Peace Time, and I'm honoured that my service is recognised even by this small token.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 am

Proud Pies wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Quote:
The Australian Defence Medal recognises current and former Australian Defence Force personnel who completed an initial enlistment period, or four years service, whichever was the lesser.

I served 8 years, during Peace Time, and I'm honoured that my service is recognised even by this small token.

Cheers.

8 years is a long time.

Lucky for you there wasn't any conflict / war going on at your time of service.

My late father in law was in the RAF (before joining the RAF when he came to Australia in 1950 & was posted to Darjeeling in India. Didn't see any action & preferred to eat tinned English Army food than eat rice / curry / mangoes!!

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 am

I remember in primary school once , the teacher asked the kids to each say a word or something they associate with anzacs day.

when it came to my turn i said pies vs bombers

he didn't appreciate that for some reason
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 am

Kingswood wrote:
I remember in primary school once , the teacher asked the kids to each say a word or something they associate with anzacs day.

Laughing

A blast from the past.

Kingswood: Nicks very own frequent flyer & mile high member Wink

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 am

watt price tully wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Quote:

Cheers.

8 years is a long time.

Lucky for you there wasn't any conflict / war going on at your time of service.

My late father in law was in the RAF (before joining the RAF when he came to Australia in 1950 & was posted to Darjeeling in India. Didn't see any action & preferred to eat tinned English Army food than eat rice / curry / mangoes!!

yep, glad I served in Peace time and I'm still proud of my lonely little medal Smile

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:11 am

Some truly thoughtful and wonderful posts here.
You would not think that such interesting and considered
responses would come up on a football blog site.
Lest we forget Nicks.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 am

watt price tully wrote:
Kingswood wrote:

Laughing

A blast from the past.

whatever did happen to that hotel that was mocking him. Wink

for many, footy on anzac day has become an intrinsic part of the day. there's a lot of debate about whether footy has hijacked the day. for me, it has certainly reinvigorated interest but i do wonder how the day will look when all those involved have passed and we're a couple of generations down the track.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 pm

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Kingswood wrote:

Laughing

A blast from the past.

whatever did happen to that hotel that was mocking him. Wink

for many, footy on anzac day has become an intrinsic part of the day. there's a lot of debate about whether footy has hijacked the day. for me, it has certainly reinvigorated interest but i do wonder how the day will look when all those involved have passed and we're a couple of generations down the track.

Hopefully those who have been sent to Iraq and Afganistan in recent years can also continue to be recognised.

www.facebook/the hybernators
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 pm

I have major respect for the diggers bravery but I wish more would remember the futility and stupidity of WWI, and how we were used as cannon fodder by the brits, who really had no love for us at all.

Disgraceful war that served no purpose but wiped out many lives and created geo-political problems that are still being felt today.

I'd like to see a return to the days when leaders actually lead on the battlefield - betcha there would be a lot less fighting.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm

roar wrote:
I have major respect for the diggers bravery but I wish more would remember the futility and stupidity of WWI, and how we were used as cannon fodder by the brits, who really had no love for us at all.

Disgraceful war that served no purpose but wiped out many lives and created geo-political problems that are still being felt today.

I'd like to see a return to the days when leaders actually lead on the battlefield - betcha there would be a lot less fighting.

Good Post!

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:34 pm

roar wrote:

Well said.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
roar wrote:

Well said.

Yep, those most in favour of war, are always those who never served, never saw its horrors, like armchair patriots and bloody politicians, and its the pollies and big business now turning Anzac day, sadly into a jingoistic fiasco, a circus of flag waving hype and spin. Our young folks should learn the truth about the Gallipoli campaign, its horrors and disaster, not fed this war glorification they are now being served up.Some of the recent stuff on TV, especially on the ABC, has shown it for what it was, what it was really like, I just hope our young people get too see more of that, the real truth behind the reasons of WW1, the empire building between greedy empires, they need to be told the real history of it all. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 pm

The "hype" people mention about Gallipoli isn't about the glorification of war but a failed campaign that has become a symbol of Australia's national identity.

A battle, a long way from home and a long time ago that nearly destroyed a generation of Australians and committed another generation to another war. A lot of men were killed or wounded.

It was a defeat and it didn't change anything. But we're still interested in it.

For Australia, Gallipoli has become an important founding legend. It is attracting even greater attention as the 100th anniversary approaches.

Australians entered the Great War welcoming conflict as a test of our nationhood. Our nation had been born amid debate and referenda, not in war. The troops who landed on April 25, 1915- almost all civilians less than a year before - wondered how they would meet the challenge

The landing was a military disaster - it failed to meet its objectives. But merely hanging on in the face of determined Turkish attacks was triumph enough.

Charles Bean, the Australian official correspondent, declared that with the landing on Gallipoli a sense of Australian nationhood was born. The idea took root.

Bean defined what came to be called the Anzac legend, it encompassed bravery, ingenuity, endurance and the comradeship that Australians call mateship.

Nations create the history they need. Gallipoli, though the basis of the annual ritual of Anzac Day from the early 1920s, remained neglected as an historical event. For 50 years after Bean published his definitive official history very few seemed interested in the Great War.

For a time, in the aftermath of defeat in Vietnam, it seemed that Anzac Day might vanish into obscurity, like Empire Day.

But an assertive Australian national identity has returned to affirm the connection between Gallipoli and nationhood. On the 100th anniversary of the campaign Gallipoli remains interesting still. The anniversary has generated books, films, ceremonies and pilgrimages. Almost as many Australians attend the dawn ceremony at Anzac Cove as the same number of troops which landed there in 1915.

The Anzac legend has become elastic enough to span very different emotions. Fervent nationalists can exult; pilgrims can mourn. All can ponder what made that group of Australians able to endure one of the greatest tests their nation has ever faced.

This massive interest might be the result of careful marketing, by schools, publishers, the media or government agencies. But it seems that while the expression of interest might be directed, the consumption of the products seem to reflect the popular interest rather than manipulate it.

Gallipoli, a minor, failed campaign (which cost less than a sixth of the Australian deaths on the Western Front) fulfils a need felt by many Australians to connect with or express their national identity. Much of what is said or written makes tenuous history - it presents a defeat as a victory of sorts, ignores some aspects and boost others, often with a distinctly anti-British spin.

It is dodgy history because it says as much about what Australians today feel about themselves as it relates to the events of the campaign. Gallipoli has become a symbol of Australia's national identity, achievement and existence.

(Extracts from an article written by Dr Peter Stanley for ABC News Online's Anzac Day coverage in 2006.)

I had two Great Uncles who landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915, both were wounded, Stanley was treated for his wounds by his brother Eric, who then ran off to continue the fighting, Stanley was never seen again.

I have had family in every conflict Australia has been involved in since, including all recent conflicts. I myself have served overseas.

ANZAC Day isn't about the glorification of war it's a celebration of mateship and nationhood. A nation that was looking for it's identity in 1915 and still is today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16   

Jump to: