Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect your view, which is probably shared by most people, however, I disagree with it. It's too easy to get carried away with the jingoism of the 'Aussie fighting spirit'. We all want to believe that we come from better stock than others, that we are braver, more loyal, more heroic. Don't you think other people have 'mates'? I honestly don't believe that our troops were braver than the British, German, Russian, French, Indian, Canadian, American or Belgian. What did make our troops different was the simple fact that the ANZACS were the only all volunteer army in the first World War. All the other armies were full of conscripts.

In truth, WWII was the only honorable war we've been involved in, because we were genuinely defending our country. To me, the battle at Kokoda is a much more significant battle to commemorate, because those teenagers sent to defend our country against a much superior and battle hardened Japanese army, had their backs to the wall and clearly had right on their side. Lest we forget.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:37 pm

The threatened Japanese invasion of Australia is also a myth, but propagated at the time, and ever since, to brainwash the people, lest they rise up and lynch the politicians who sent our boys off to die.

Read this from 2002 by Mark Forbes, now news director at the Age (and since purged from their archives). Again, the report is not about some conspiracy theorist debunking the Japanese invasion as propaganda, but the view of the Principal Historian at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

Japanese invasion a myth: historian

The Age, by Mark Forbes
June 1 2002

"He's coming south" screamed the poster, featuring a Japanese soldier poised to trample over a defenceless Australia. It was part of a Curtin government campaign that contributed to a state of panic across the nation in 1942 after the fall of Singapore and air raids on Darwin.
Across the years, history books and high school lessons have repeated the stories of a Japanese invasion plan, foiled only by the diggers' desperate efforts on the Kokoda Trail and the United States' naval victory in the Coral Sea. An imaginary "Brisbane Line" was drawn to represent Australia's second line of defence against the approaching hordes.
The trouble is, someone forgot to tell the Japanese. The only real invasion plan appears to have existed in the minds of prime minister John Curtin and the Australian public.
Japan never seriously intended to invade Australia, a fact known to the Australian Government by mid-1942 and confirmed by intelligence reports, principal historian to the Australian War Memorial, Peter Stanley, said yesterday at a conference examining the events of 1942.
"I'm sick of the myth; it's time to knock it on the head," he said. "A lie told for wartime propaganda stays with us.
"From 1942, Australia's war contracted to its surrounding territory. The invasion myth helps justify the parochial view Australians took of their war effort. I'm arguing that there was in fact no invasion plan, that the Curtin government exaggerated the threat."
Australia's strategic planners had a long-term view that Japan had designs on Australia. With the fall of Malaya (now Malaysia) and Singapore, that prediction appeared to be coming true.
The shock of Japanese bombers attacking Darwin in February, 1942, raised fears to a fever pitch. Certainly the actions of the Curtin cabinet display disquiet if not panic. Even before the fall of Malaya, New Britain or Singapore, Mr Curtin had appealed for help to British prime minister Winston Churchill and to US president Franklin Roosevelt.
Mr Curtin claimed that "it is beyond our capacity to meet an attack of the weight the Japanese could launch" on Australia.
By early March, cabinet, on the advice of the Australian chiefs-of-staff, anticipated a landing around Darwin in early April and a landing on the east coast by May.
Dr Stanley states there was no Japanese invasion plan before 1942 and that Australia barely rated a mention in the 1941 conferences which planned Japan's strategy. In early 1942, in the euphoria of Asia-Pacific victories, some middle-ranking naval officers in Tokyo proposed that Australia should be invaded to forestall it being used as a base for an Allied counter-offensive.
"The plans got no further than some acrimonious discussions," Dr Stanley said. "The army dismissed the idea as "gibberish", knowing that troops sent further south would weaken Japan in China and in Manchuria against a Soviet threat. Not only did the Japanese army condemn the plan, but the navy general staff also deprecated it, unable to spare the million tonnes of shipping the invasion would have consumed.
"By mid-March the proposal lapsed. Instead, the Japanese adopted a plan to isolate Australia, impeding communication between Australia and the United States by the occupation of islands to Australia's north-east."

And DroversDog, you say that "we are talking about 1915 - that is only 14 short years after the founding of our nation's capitol [sic] in Canberra".

Canberra was a sheep run in WW I and wasn't the national capital until 1927, long after Gallipoli. You also go on about the bushies who served in WWI - another myth, probably assimilated into your brain from the movie Gallipoli . We were then, and still are, the most urbanised western society on Earth. The myth though has been embedded through this propaganda into the psyche of almost every Australian male who considers himself a bushman - but he's a townie! (evidence the number of fake bushies from the number of Akubra hats and 4WDs that are sold to soft-handed suburbanite Aussies).

We Aussies also don't have a mortgage on mateship. What about the Turks whom we went across the ocean to kill. Didn't they have mates? Their honour was higher because they were defending their homeland.

We have to get past this idea that war is intrinsic to our culture. There is no historical evidence for it - just spin that weak minded people are happy to digest. But its a lie - its not true. Its a fantasy, an invention (and you might ask yourself why).

Our great triumph, and a lesson for other countries to learn from, is that our nation was forged in a bloodless Federation of six independent colonies for our common wealth, and it continues to this day. That's what should be celebrated.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Rude I understand your viewpoint but you misunderstand the ethos represented.

You have to judge a man by his circumstances and the times in which he lives. Those were the times of empire and those young men gave all they had.

It had nothing to do with today's jingoism or sabre rattling but simply fighting by the side of what was then considered our 'mother country'. It's all very fine to sit back in an armchair and critique such motives but a different thing altogether to live through such times.

Sadly I have to strongly disagree that WWII - or any war - is honourable in any degree, it's a sad and gruesome business from beginning to end and honour is always the first casualty.

I won't get into the 'mates' argument with you because you have an attitude that I can't abide in that regard and it would be a pointless excercise.

Let's agree to disagree then and remember those left behind in all wars, the widows and children left fatherless by the greatest of all man's madnesses.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Woods agree to disagree.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:07 pm

As the son and grandson of both world war veterans, three of my great uncles died in the slaughter of WW1, I am disgusted with the hype and blatant commercial spin of this Anzac day, in particular. yes, its the centernary, but it has gone from a day of dignity and quiet reflection, to takky souvenirs of Gallipoli, like scarves, peaked caps, keyrings, mugs, no doubt all made in china.

The damn RSL has gone along with this grubby money making exercise, advertising this rubbish in its magazine, I wrote to them but received no response, I hit a raw and truthful nerve. All we have too are bloody politicians, glorifying war, to our young folks, and now we even have this appalling so called Camp Gallipoli, a huge commercial exercise, charging punters an arm and a leg to sleep in a swag, and eat fancy food, rock bands, nothing like the slaughter of Gallipoli.

If they want to make it real, dig trenches, fill em with dirty water, spread aound dead animals for the stench of death, import millions of flies, and feed them hard tack biscuits, and fly ridden jam, with shells going off all around them, then they might get the feel of the horrors of war, not this jingoistic bullshit exercise of money grubbing. Yes, I will march on Anzac day, to honour my dad and relatives, then its straight home for me, away from all this hype and pro war spin, we should honour our vets with dignity and grace, not with tacky souvenirs and patriotic claptrap that distorts history. Rolling Eyes Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Couldn't agree more Piesnchess, it's a sad commentary on our modern times that such an event becomes a money making excercise with pollies of every persuasion seeking to ingratiate themselves and bask in the reflected glory of those who paid the ultimate price.

Sickening.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 pm

I am glad ANZAC Day is celebrated on April 25 and that there is no public holiday in lieu of this day.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Woods wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
ANZAC day used to mean a solemn remembrance of the futility of war and particularly the senseless slaughter of WWI, where my grandfather lost his 2 brothers.

Today, unfortunately, the nationalistic jingoism, which began under the Howard government, has turned this solemn day into a circus and a glorification of 'the fighting diggers spirit'. Honestly, I reckon the ghosts of that horrible war would turn in their graves at how this occasion has now become a recruiting exercise for the Australian army. Furthermore, the 'celebrations' at ANZAC cove have somehow morphed into something akin to schoolies week. The insensitivity and cultural arrogance of us going to Turkey in our thousands to celebrate our failed attempt to invade their country is breathtaking.

On ANZAC day I will be taking a minute silence to recall the horrors of war and to remind myself why we should do all in our powers to keep out of war.

well said

Yes, well said.

And as for those who struggle to accept that they have been duped by generations of government and commercial propaganda, read this Age report on the myth of 'Simpson and his Donkey'. This debunking is not by some leftist conspiracy theorist, but by the Department of Defence itself.

He is the soldier who was the embodiment of all we admire in the Anzac legend: tough, stoic, fearless and selfless. His life exemplified the finest qualities of mateship and heroism. His death enshrined all that was noble in the lost cause that claimed him.

His deeds have inspired, and been celebrated by, generations of young Australians. His image has graced banknotes, coins and postage stamps. His story has been told and retold in books, movies and plays. He has been deified in paintings and sculptures...

So what are we to do when, after a century of veneration, the legend of Simpson and his donkey is officially punctured and new evidence emerges that the story is largely a myth inflated and exaggerated by the sloppy work of journalists, amateur historians and jingoistic politicians...

A year-long inquiry by a government tribunal last week flatly rejected the long-running populist campaign to have Simpson awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross - the highest award for gallantry in the Commonwealth. But, more significantly, the tribunal found that Simpson's deeds were no more exceptional than those of hundreds of other stretcher bearers working at Gallipoli at the time. The inquiry's report said there were many accounts describing Simpson's conduct. ''The tribunal was, however, unable to find any witness accounts of a specific act of valour … which could single out Simpson's bravery from other stretcher-bearers in the Field Ambulance.''

In the process of what has been the most forensic review of Simpson's war service, the tribunal heard startling evidence that much of the legend of the man with the donkey has been built on false or faulty evidence, richly embellished over the years as history has been turned into hagiography.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/taken-for-a-ride-20130306-2flf1.html

It is a joke that the winning teams who play in NZ on Anzac Day are presented with a trophy depicting Simpson and his donkey.

Anzac Day was from its beginning a day for the Anzac veterans themselves. It was their day and should have ended when the last old digger passed away. But now we have civilians wearing the medals of their service relatives, medals that they have no right to wear because they did not earn them. A travesty. It is that sad social affliction called recreational grieving.

I ignore the bullshit surrounding Anzac Day.

The day I and millions of others worldwide observe for those soldiers and civilians who died in wars is the 11th day of the 11th month. Remembrance Day is the appropriate time.

Mate, I agree with most of what you say, but I strongly disagree with you on the wearing of medals by descendants. It took me years to wear my late fathers, when he was really too old too march, I asked him would he mind if I went in his place, and he had no problems at all about it, he actually encouraged me, to march in his place. I don't do it for glory or anything for myself, no way known, I do it for him, for he and his mates, as a mark of respect for them. Of course he earned them, and I did not, but if I don't march, or any other descendants, the whole thing will wither and die, and I know that the crowds who clap on the sidelines, are not clapping me, or other descendants, they are clapping our late fathers and grandfathers. I think we owe them, just once a year, to wear them in their memory, of sacrificing the best years of their lives, so that we could have a life and future. I loathe glorification of war, especially by Poiiticians who never served themselves, and I don't march to glorify war in any way, both my dad and grandad hated war, as I do too. Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Many younger Australians misunderstand the meaning of ANZAC day and who can blame them.

I'm in my '60's and can remember those ANZAC'S as real men - not as faltering, aged icons held up as giants. Small wonder many can't relate to the legend they represent.

The British military were astonished with their superb physical condition and horried at their lack of professional military correctness. They used us as shock troops - canon fodder - if you will, and were shocked at our ferocity at the enemy and valour in the defence of a 'mate'.

Those who don't understand need to remember we are talking about 1915 - that is only 14 short years after the founding of our nation's capitol in Canberra. We were very still much a British colony and bursting with pride to march off to war in defense of democracy and mother England. Australians as a people were still very much of the 'colonial' mindset and there were many, many more men and families in 'the outback', working in places and situations that were so extremely physically and spiritually demanding that today's Australian would simply not comprehend how any soul could endure them. But these were the conditions that men had to work in to open up the heartland of this country.

Many of the young men from the stations and the bush towns marched to war, young men so tough in body and heart that they were the envy of the front line. These then were the ANZAC'S, there was no high minded oratory that motivated them it was a simple case of doing what had to be done.

If my poor account has failed to move doubting hearts - and let's face it I'm no Hemmingway - go you down beneath the Shrine of rememberance and walk through 'the crypt'. Take the time to stop by the 'landing boat' exhibit and listen to the audio presentation right through (it only takes 5 minutes) to hear just what these young men faced.

A couple of hours once a year is a small price to pay to the memory of those young giants who exemplified a young and committed Australia.

The ANZAC tradition doesn't glorify war, it honours a fighting tradition and belief that a 'mate' is someone worthy of laying down your life for - many did - and the disrespect for such staunchness is something that deeply, deeply saddens this old Aussie.

I will be remembering my uncle Charles, an artillary spotter with the Australian Air Corps lost in action over the front line, my uncle Fred buried among a host of heroes at Lone Pine, my uncle Frank buried home on Aussie soil but deeply scarred by his experiences in the Pacific as a military longshoresman and my dad who served in the evacuation of both Crete and Sicily.

Lest we forget.

DD 65 try the link I provided to the iView doco a page earlier.

It's quite revealing.

Aussies predominantly came from the cities not from the bush - Australia was one of the most urbanized places on earth at the time - doesn't mean they weren't physically more able than their English comrades but the notion & symbol of the bush cockie digger is much more fiction than non-fiction in the same way Simpson & his Donkey was propaganda based on fiction.

WTF were we doing in Turkey in the first place? Even had "we" won it wouldn't have changed the war. The determining factor in winning WW1 was defeating the Germans in Europe especially in France & Belgium which we contributed to magnificently.

Check out the link it's really quite useful.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:50 pm

I'll be interested in the thoughts about this song, one minutes silence, just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOsPjFlS7Q

Putting everything in context, i like it.

Magpie Camo Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Woods wrote:
But now we have civilians wearing the medals of their service relatives, medals that they have no right to wear because they did not earn them. A travesty.

Sorry Woods, but you are very wrong about this.

Whether you like it or not, I am fully entitled to wear the medals of my Great Grandfather and both Grandfathers.

Defence Act 1903
Part VIIIC
Section 80B
Sub Section 2 wrote:

Where the person upon whom a service decoration was conferred has died, it is not an offence against subsection (1) for a member of the family of that person to wear the service decoration if the member of the family does not represent himself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred.

To correctly wear service medals of a deceased family member, in a way so as to not represent yourself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred, you must wear them on the right hand side, not the left, and that's exactly what i'll be doing on Saturday.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:09 pm

I get up early, I always do. I'll pay my respects, usually on my own.... maybe on the beach, maybe in the bush, maybe in the backyard with Daics.
We crack a beer a little bit earlier than usual and crank up the barby, she's in for a long day.

The game is a special one, Go Pies!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Of course they came predominantly from the cities WPT - they were the then as they are now by far the largest concentration of population as in any country.

What a strange comment to make.

Some of you really do take the strangest slant on things.

I'm done with this thread.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 pm

John Wren wrote:
just visited the shrine and the exhibits of the different wars. if you have some time i very much recommend having a look.

The new visitor's centre and exhibitions are amazing. This is a photo taken last month showing my Mother pointing out my late Father's name in the Korean Roll of Honour, which goes through the names of all those who fought in Korea. We were lucky we only had to wait 30 minutes for Dad's name to come around.

They also have this for WWII, but apparently it takes weeks and weeks to go through all the names before it starts again.

Mum pointing out Dad's name at Shrine.jpg

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Magpie Camo wrote:
Woods wrote:
But now we have civilians wearing the medals of their service relatives, medals that they have no right to wear because they did not earn them. A travesty.

Sorry Woods, but you are very wrong about this.

Whether you like it or not, I am fully entitled to wear the medals of my Great Grandfather and both Grandfathers.

Defence Act 1903
Part VIIIC
Section 80B
Sub Section 2 wrote:

Where the person upon whom a service decoration was conferred has died, it is not an offence against subsection (1) for a member of the family of that person to wear the service decoration if the member of the family does not represent himself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred.

To correctly wear service medals of a deceased family member, in a way so as to not represent yourself as being the person upon whom the decoration was conferred, you must wear them on the right hand side, not the left, and that's exactly what i'll be doing on Saturday.

me too, as I wear my Grandfather's WWI medals and my Father's medals on my left and my own medal on the right, whilst I march as a Descendent of 2 WWI veterans.

AND PROUD

LEST WE FORGET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16   

Jump to: