Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mel_kay39 wrote:
Can't believe people are questioning whether ANZAC Day is relevant anymore or not. Of course it is. My nanna's brothers all fought in Papua New Guinea and her father in Turkey, and one of them died at Kokoda, and many people still have family members who fought in Vietnam, Korea, Bosnia, Somalia etc. And there are still troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's not just a day about the diggers from Gallipoli anymore. It's a day where we all pay respects for every soldier who fought for our country, and are still fighting, whether they've died for the cause or not. How dare they say it's irrelevant.

isn't rememberance day for this purpose?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Unfortunately, over the past decade or so I have sensed a growing glorification of war, which was never part of ANZAC day remembrances when I grew up. We should respect the memories of all who have died in wars, while highlighting the senseless barbarism and futility of war.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

mel_kay39 wrote:
Can't believe people are questioning whether ANZAC Day is relevant anymore or not. Of course it is. My nanna's brothers all fought in Papua New Guinea and her father in Turkey, and one of them died at Kokoda, and many people still have family members who fought in Vietnam, Korea, Bosnia, Somalia etc. And there are still troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's not just a day about the diggers from Gallipoli anymore. It's a day where we all pay respects for every soldier who fought for our country, and are still fighting, whether they've died for the cause or not. How dare they say it's irrelevant.

HEAR HEAR

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 pm
Post subject: WrongReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Unfortunately, over the past decade or so I have sensed a growing glorification of war, which was never part of ANZAC day remembrances when I grew up. We should respect the memories of all who have died in wars, while highlighting the senseless barbarism and futility of war.

So are you suggesting all those who fought and died under our flag for your precious freedom participated in a barbaric and futile exercise? I suggest you have more respect in future and thank all servicemen and women for the sacrifices they made in order for you to infer this effort was part of some futile exercise. Gees I get mad when I read this type of inconsiderate and insensative language used in the context of service I and others have given. Like those useless academics today making worse comments! They exist in their ivory towers of intellectual wasteland due to the sacrifices of the ANZAC's.

MagpieMel Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:34 pm

I think that this needs to remain what it started as a place for people to express what Anzac Day means to them, not as place to take up debates.

If that's what you feel you must do please start up a new thread.

Last edited by MagpieMel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm sure Rudeboy can look after himself.

What you posted Hiss & what Rudeboy wrote are not related.
Selective indignation is on another thread I believe.

The faux nationalism & jingoism I can't stand.

Respect for those who served is fine & good IMO but not when it becomes jingoistic & nationalistic.. the draping of flags...

Reading & previously listening to Kemal Ataturks words - (The father of Modern Turkey) regarding Gallipoli but means so much more - I find quite moving:

(first heard this on 3LO - 774 am radio before or on an Anzac day)

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie, side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well."

(I'm not Turkish but was lucky to spend 8 weeks there in 1982)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Lay off the piss, Hiss. Laughing
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 pm

MagpieMel wrote:
I think that this needs to remain what it started as a place for people to express what Anzac Day means to them, not as place to take up debates.

If that's what you feel you must do please start up a new thread.

the intention of the thread was to read about the connections nicksters' had with the first world war.

Quote:
i'm not wishing to trivialise the deeds of those that served or glorify the concept of war but i'm sure the majority of you will have something that gives the day meaning to you.

i respect there are differing views about what happened but there's a time and place for political commentary and this thread was not meant to be it. it's been ruined somewhat.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 am

watt price tully wrote:

Reading & previously listening to Kemal Ataturks words - (The father of Modern Turkey) regarding Gallipoli but means so much more - I find quite moving:

(first heard this on 3LO - 774 am radio before or on an Anzac day)

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie, side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well."

(I'm not Turkish but was lucky to spend 8 weeks there in 1982)

Indeed very moving. Great piece.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 pm

ANZAC DAY

Well, I don't know where to start on the importance of this day. For me it is a day to reflect on the difficulties our diggers had back in 1915. My Grandfather was in the 6th battalion, and was part of the "second wave" onto to beach on the 25th April 1915. Pa, as I called him, was injured a couple of weeks later, with what was called a severe gunshot wound to the thigh. He always said if it wasn't for the Indian Doctor there at the time, he would have been history. The Doc kept pressure on the bleeding, until Pa could receive mor intense medical attention. (Pa was moved to Eygpt, then to London for many many months in hospital, before being shipped off home)

I try to attend a dawn service, and this year it will be at Port Noarlunga RSL. It is a very emotional time for me.

For as long as I can remember it has always been a day to go to the footy, even back when the Collingwood Essendon game wasn't the big game it is now. The later start as a respect to the diggers. I like to think that Pa was one those playing footy in front of the pyramids in Eygpt 95 years ago, and with Pa's dad moving to Melbourne form Newcastle in the 1800's, our history of being Collingwood supporters stems from the Newcastle Magpies Soccer Team.

I hope to get to Gallipolli one day, for the service there.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Once again it will be a day when I remember my late Dad, six years in WW2 with the sixth division,and my three great Uncles,all killed in WW1. So long as the day does not get too nationalistic with kids wearing the aussie flag over their shoulders. Its a day to remember all those poor young kids who did not return,and to remember the horrors of war, and that war is truly a horrible and terrible thing. Sometimes shock jocks on the radio tend to forget this, and try to use the day to condone natiionalism and not mention the futility and horror of war. It is a solemn and respectful day,and I will be marching for my dad with his medals in the morning. And i will remember what he told me a lot, " Those most in favour of war are those who never served in one, and saw its obscene horrors" and he saw plenty of that on greece,crete and in new guinea.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Once again it will be a day when I remember my late Dad, six years in WW2 with the sixth division,and my three great Uncles,all killed in WW1. So long as the day does not get too nationalistic with kids wearing the aussie flag over their shoulders. Its a day to remember all those poor young kids who did not return,and to remember the horrors of war, and that war is truly a horrible and terrible thing. Sometimes shock jocks on the radio tend to forget this, and try to use the day to condone natiionalism and not mention the futility and horror of war. It is a solemn and respectful day,and I will be marching for my dad with his medals in the morning. And i will remember what he told me a lot, " Those most in favour of war are those who never served in one, and saw its obscene horrors" and he saw plenty of that on greece,crete and in new guinea.

I couldn't have expressed this any better. I reckon your Dad would be extremely proud of you. Well done pnc.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:04 am

however you choose to commemorate or celebrate our fallen, i trust the day is everything you hoped for and more.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:56 am

RudeBoy wrote:

We should indeed. I personally lost My Grand-father in the Second World War. He was a navigator on a Halifax bomber that dis-appeared some-where over Northern Germany. For this He recieved a distingished Flying Cross and My Grand-Mother a War-Widows pension and a cold and empty bed. Luckily for Me She had My Father as some sort of concilation prize.
My Father never knew His Father.
My wife never knew her Father either.
He was killed in a collision with a drunk driver.
On ANZAC Daze I often ponder the fates of these two different people. I've always been told My Grand-dad gave his life to keep Australia free, but I often wonder what that means. What did sailing 1/2 way round the world just to drop bombs on helpless civilians do to keep us in Australia safe? Isn't One of the "TEN Commandments", "Thou shalt not kill"?
But/And isn't that just what My Grandfather was doing when he was himself killed? And My G'Father in Law? Why don't have a day to remember those senselessly and unjustly struck down in their Prime?
This thread is about what ANZAC Day means to Us as individuals.

To Me it is the Day to reflect not just on Heros like Albert Jacka and Kieth Payne, but on the fate of ALL those struck down just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like the people of Dresden, Colonge, Coventry, Iraq and Somalia and High St Kew. (Or taking a dump in the bush closest to the best Turkish sniper there ever was!)

ANZAC Day for Me, is a day to remember that the world isn't divided into *the Good Guys verses bad Guys.*
*(Those Arch VILLANS Ossama and Saddam were both trained and armed by the US)!*
~~~ Interesting trivia, Even though the film "Saving Ryans Privates" was based on a "true-life story", the TRUE name of the saved GI was Private Fritz! "Saving Private Fritz"? Hmmmm. That'd be like reminding the Public that Saddam Hussien and Oss-aMa Bin-liner were both trained and supplied by the US.

WAR is never Black and White.
But ANZAC DAY IS!!
well,.... with a dash of Red thrown-in!

GO PIES!!!!!
And well done Dees! You've done "Bluey" Truscott Proud!
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm

bump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16   

Jump to: