Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:38 pm
Post subject: What does ANZAC Day mean to you?Reply with quote

can't recall if this has been an annual thread but i'm curious to know what ANZAC Day means to you. it's significance has certainly grown as the years pass and as those we honour become less in number.

i'm not wishing to trivialise the deeds of those that served or glorify the concept of war but i'm sure the majority of you will have something that gives the day meaning to you.

i love going to the dawn ceremony and last year was my first anzac day game of footy, standing as a stadium of 90,000 falls silent was an amazing experience. obviously it's about more than just a game of footy. so what's it mean for you.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any real connection with those who fought but I respect what they did and am thankful for their efforts. As for the game, it's the biggest of the year bar finals but on a totally different level. You never like to lose but I dunno, even when you do, the sense of the occasion pales it into insignificance. I haven't missed one and don't intend on missing any. It truly is a special day.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Growing up in the country, and with a returned serviceman uncle, I used to march each year with the primary school.

Like most kids in the 70's, I was over it and as soon as I could, I stopped going.

Then in High School, I read "one day of the year" and I understood.

I don't go to dawn services or even watch the parade. If I'm about, I'll go down to the local RSL to hear the last post, then move on.

ANZAC day is part of our identity, part of our coming of age as a nation. Those guys who went and fought were only kids themselves. They didn't have internet or TV to tell them all about it, they thought it was going to be a huge adventure. Then they got there and found mud and blood and tears, but they didn't sook - they gave their best.

For those who left these shores to fight for king and country, we will remember them. Lest we forget.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:08 pm

A yearly reminder of the horror and insanity of warfare. It is a day of remembrance that will only become irrelevant when there is no more war. "Lest we forget" may be a cliche, but it is so apt.

Only ever been to the one Anzac Day match, by the way, the first one. Barely remember it. Hopefully next year I'll be there. Smile

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 pm

It's a brilliant day. The meaning for me is in the faces of the ailing veterans and their families. I am extremely thankful for the fortune of being an Australian citizen and I owe much of that fortune to them. And I think in the broader sweep of history they actually shaped civilisation as we know it; every gain made since the Enlightenment was pretty much on the edge of being wiped out for much of last century.

But gratitude and respect are the only valid emotions IMO for those of us who have contributed not a fraction of sweat to keeping the country free; the day is increasingly being cheapened by flag-waving nationalist bogans trying to lay claim to deeds which they did not commit. Bravery and sacrifice are not heritable, and IMO we have no right to be "proud" of something we did not do. I find such chauvinists crass and disrespectful.

As for the game, I think it has been instrumental in me personally taking more of an interest in the day. I think it acts as a great marker for the occasion and it helps bring people together. Indeed I am pondering it now because of the game, and I think that can only be a good thing.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Anzac Day is the most important day of the year for me.

It's the time i remember all those that fought in any of the overseas conflicts that Australia has been part of.

It's a time i reflect on my Grandfathers' time in WWI and WWII.
It's a time i reflect on my 2nd Cousin's selfless acts which earnt him a V.C and an M.C during WWI and ultimely led to his death (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/cherry-vc.htm)
It's a time i reflect on my own Father's service under the United Nations Banner in the Korean War from 51 - 53.

I start the day early, putting my my father's medals and my paternal grandfather's medals (and my own one little medal), attending the dawn service at the Ringwood Cenataph. Pick up my mother, who wears my father's minature medals and her father's medals, and we then make our way to join the Korean Vets in the city to march with them to the Shrine of Rememberance.

It's a very solemn and emotional time for us as we march with these brave men to the Shrine.

After marching to the Shrine, we walk to the MCG to try and get there for the Last Post. I get very emotional when this is played (even typing that, i get emotional) and then, we hope to hell that Collingwood wins.

It's a long day, and one which i'm honoured to play a small part in.

LEST WE FORGET

Dad on return from Korea.jpg

My father with his mother and nieces and nephew on return from Korea

Last edited by Proud Pies on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm

^Sounds great Proud Pies. The day is for folks like your family. Respect.
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 pm

pietillidie wrote:
It's a brilliant day. The meaning for me is in the faces of the ailing veterans and their families. I am extremely thankful for the fortune of being an Australian citizen and I owe much of that fortune to them. And I think in the broader sweep of history they actually shaped civilisation as we know it; every gain made since the Enlightenment was pretty much on the edge of being wiped out for much of last century.

But gratitude and respect are the only valid emotions IMO for those of us who have contributed not a fraction of sweat to keeping the country free; the day is increasingly being cheapened by flag-waving nationalist bogans trying to lay claim to deeds which they did not commit. Bravery and sacrifice are not heritable, and IMO we have no right to be "proud" of something we did not do. I find such chauvinists crass and disrespectful.
As for the game, I think it has been instrumental in me personally taking more of an interest in the day. I think it acts as a great marker for the occasion and it helps bring people together. Indeed I am pondering it now because of the game, and I think that can only be a good thing.
Brilliant post. If i hear one more idiot try to justify an arguement with 'my grandfather fought for the flag' so therefore .... i think i.ll scream. I think the day was being high jacked the day i saw those 'fanatics' (those try hard tennis fans) with specially made green and gold t shirts for the dawn service. Talk about cringeworthy

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:46 pm

^Agree, but don't let them ruin it for the genuine people like Proud Pies' family.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Didaicos wrote:
[quote="pietillidie"]It's a brilliant day. The meaning for me is in the faces of the ailing veterans and their families. I am extremely thankful for the fortune of being an Australian citizen and I owe much of that fortune to them. And I think in the broader sweep of history they actually shaped civilisation as we know it; every gain made since the Enlightenment was pretty much on the edge of being wiped out for much of last century.

As for the game, I think it has been instrumental in me personally taking more of an interest in the day. I think it acts as a great marker for the occasion and it helps bring people together. Indeed I am pondering it now because of the game, and I think that can only be a good thing.[/quote] Brilliant post. If i hear one more idiot try to justify an arguement with 'my grandfather fought for the flag' so therefore .... i think i.ll scream. I think the day was being high jacked the day i saw those 'fanatics' (those try hard tennis fans) with specially made green and gold t shirts for the dawn service. Talk about cringeworthy
Do you still it? Is that your final answer?
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:51 pm

frankiboy wrote:
I don't have any real connection with those who fought but I respect what they did and am thankful for their efforts. As for the game, it's the biggest of the year bar finals but on a totally different level. You never like to lose but I dunno, even when you do, the sense of the occasion pales it into insignificance. I haven't missed one and don't intend on missing any. It truly is a special day.

This.
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Agree, but don't let them ruin it for the genuine people like Proud Pies' family.
yeah sorry should have added that. Also love my family connections to their service. My great grandfathes helped draft the document for japanese surrender something i was amazed to discover. I more object to people using it to who an argument. Brilliant photo pp. Sums up the elation i'm sure many fortunate families felt when their loved ones returned.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Anzac day means a hell of a lot to me. Today i attended a memorial service in Williamstown and wore my late Dads medals. He served 1939-45, and fought in the middle east, greece, crete and new guinea. He was wounded twice, and had malaria. He ended the war a Lieutenant in the Artillery. Like most Vets, he hated war. I wil be marching for him on Anzac day,and for my grandmother who lost three of her brothers in World war 1,three of my great uncles died in that war, and we have never forgotten it, I have their medals too, and i lay a wreath for them and for my dad. After the march i will attend the reunion for dads regiment,which is nearly all sons and daughters and grandkids now. Lest we forget.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
CAAS 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:29 pm

to me it means that i am grateful for the opportunity to live a free and healthy life without being dictated too. That our forfarthers fought for our flag, our country to stop dictators from trying to control the world.

I will be there saturday, hand on my heart, hat in my hand paying respects during the last post. I will buy a digger a beer and just say thanks mate, this 1's on me.

we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:35 pm

pietillidie wrote:

This is a great post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16   

Jump to: