Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round one vs Geelong

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dan 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent day down at Princes Park with the biggest shame being the shit sized crowd. You'd think that with only 1 game on during the day (AFL) and not many local leagues firing up that the VFL could have promoted its opening round with a bit more gusto and drawn some more people through the gates. Forget all the bullshit about being Carlton's home ground etc., Princes Park is a sensational venue to kick back, relax an enjoy a game without all the Dreamteam/Sponsor "X" goal/mark/fart of the day being shoved down your throat.

Enough of that rambling.

Both sides fielded as many AFL listed players as possible so it was a good representation of both sides depth.

Umpiring wasn't that bad - the 'Pies received some very dubious free kicks (in the 3rd) as did the Cats (in the 4th). The umpires seemed dead set against rewarding any body who put their over the ball. Never seen so many holding the balls paid in contested situations. But when the player had plenty of time to dispose, they let it go. Maybe we should all consider how bad things would be at AFL if some of these clowns were promoted ahead of their time.

Looking at the game in perspective, the kicking skills of the midfield/running players were dreadful across the board; at times when under no pressure at all. The kicking for goal was not great, but then again the VFL side attacks the goals in a similiar vein to the AFL side: from around the boundaries. This provided the forwards with some low percentage shots which didn't come off. Geelong went more often down or towards the corridor and as a result, their forwards were able to have easier shots. Bryan should be set for a recall, maybe Rocca - the rest is any bodies guess. The other point is that forget about the inaccuracy, our running brigade smashed Geelong; from halfway through the 3rd quarter it was a complete and total mauling. How can people say Wood wasn't playing well? The fact that Bryan could spend such large amounts of time up forward was due to Wood consistently getting first use of the ball to the midfield.

For any of those that sat through those VFL games last year when the boys were smashed in the last quarter, week after week, Saturday's game was sensational.

By the way, goal of the day came during the half time break. On punter had the ball against the boundary line, about 35 metres out in the right hand pocket (Legends Stand end). Off one step, drills the ball cleanly through the big sticks and puts it 2 rows back. Why so good? He did this in bare feet. Sensational.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:49 pm

^^^ yea i saw that goal at half time. from where i was sitting. didnt go 2 rows back, there was a net behind the goals. Laughing Razz

there was better goals kicked after the game.

the pack of cats supporters in the pocket in legends stand did not shut up with their chants. its only a vfl game get over it. but when the cats were losing they werent saying much. the guys that were behind me started taking the mickey out of them
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Fire Up wrote:
^^^ yea i saw that goal at half time. from where i was sitting. didnt go 2 rows back, there was a net behind the goals. Laughing Razz

the pack of cats supporters in the pocket in legends stand did not shut up with their chants. its only a vfl game get over it. but when the cats were losing they werent saying much. the guys that were behind me started taking the mickey out of them

Arhhhhhhh that would be the oi oi oi crew yes?
Yes they need to get a life.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:37 pm

woftam wrote:
Fire Up wrote:

Arhhhhhhh that would be the oi oi oi crew yes?
Yes they need to get a life.

yea.

i was going to throw my footy at them and i was in the other pocket.

they were at the game last year when pies played cats and did the same
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: