Round one vs Geelong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
How was Cookie?

Yeah I think Cook played pretty well, not brilliant but he did his bit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Good win by the Boys but the Kicking for goal was Disgusting 13-21

Blight and Bennell where the AFL Players who did not play well.

Umpiring was so Disgusting think they barracked fro Geelong.

My Thoughts on some of the Players:

Dawes - Was Okay but his Marking still lets him down, Though his work on the ground was good and did throw his Weight Around. Kicked 3 Goals and a Ripper from the Boundry Line and stood up in the 4th Quater

Wood - Still needs to lift his intestity, did some good things but also looked lazy at other times by not getting to the Ruck Contest or not having a G at a Ruck Contest, Though kicked a important Goal at 3 Quater Time

Blair - This kid should get a Senior Game this year BOG was getting tones of Clearances and Good Delivery into forward line

Sidebottom - Did not Dominate but always looked in Control and always made the Right Decisions

Bryan - Played just as a Forward and he did a great job Presenting a Big Target

Thoolen - Did some nice things but still looks like he has no Idea what he is doing

Stanley - Played Really well and did all the Hard Thing but his Kicking let him Down.

Rounds - Very Good with Great Speeds but can have the Odd Brain Fade but not very often

Corrie - Did not like his game very much just looked like to lair away and just bomb it wich most of the time was Out of Bounds on the Full.

Reid - Did some good Spoils and Run from CHB but Disposal Needs Work.

Video will come on Tuesday or Wednesday

cram5 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 pm

please tell me Sidebottom had a good game?

.....remember say NO to g.....Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Good win by the Boys but the Kicking for goal was Disgusting 13-21

Blight and Bennell where the AFL Players who did not play well.

Umpiring was so Disgusting think they barracked fro Geelong.

My Thoughts on some of the Players:

Dawes - Was Okay but his Marking still lets him down, Though his work on the ground was good and did throw his Weight Around. Kicked 3 Goals and a Ripper from the Boundry Line and stood up in the 4th Quater

Wood - Still needs to lift his intestity, did some good things but also looked lazy at other times by not getting to the Ruck Contest or not having a G at a Ruck Contest, Though kicked a important Goal at 3 Quater Time

Blair - This kid should get a Senior Game this year BOG was getting tones of Clearances and Good Delivery into forward line

Sidebottom - Did not Dominate but always looked in Control and always made the Right Decisions

Bryan - Played just as a Forward and he did a great job Presenting a Big Target

Thoolen - Did some nice things but still looks like he has no Idea what he is doing

Stanley - Played Really well and did all the Hard Thing but his Kicking let him Down.

Rounds - Very Good with Great Speeds but can have the Odd Brain Fade but not very often

Corrie - Did not like his game very much just looked like to lair away and just bomb it wich most of the time was Out of Bounds on the Full.

Reid - Did some good Spoils and Run from CHB but Disposal Needs Work.

Video will come on Tuesday or Wednesday

Bennel didn't play. Don't know about Blight but don't think he did either.

Our midfield would do well to get Blair & McCarthy in there as soon as possible. Their intensity & willingness to run was most impressive.
Hope J Mac's injury isn't serious. Anyone know anything further on that?
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:03 pm

yea reid has to work on his kicking mainly from the backline and finding a target.

sidebottom played good.

bryan started the game as a chb (dave) but then 2nd qtr on wards was a forward like a 3rd tall, which proved a good option. with his muscle and kicking.

dawes kicked a few and done a few good chases.

corrie is a goal hungry but did manage 1 goal and some good kicks to our players.

goldsack was another that played well in defence. 1 piece of highlight from him in 1st qtr. he got the ball in backline and had about 6/7 bounces and next minute he was in the centre/wing. dodging in and out avoiding players and still hit the target of a player

just for the record did previll play and if so was he number 48?

Last edited by Fire Up on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Fire Up wrote:
yea reid has to work on his kicking mainly from the backline and finding a target.

sidebottom played good.

bryan started the game as a chb (dave) but then 2nd qtr on wards was a forward like a 3rd tall, which proved a good option. with his muscle and kicking.

corrie is a goal hungry but did manage 1 goal and some good kicks to our players.

No mate - Pevrill coached (assistant) but didn't play.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm

woftam wrote:
Fire Up wrote:

sidebottom played good.

No mate - Pevrill coached (assistant) but didn't play.

ok kool cheers
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:46 pm

The only VFL listed player was Kris Pendlebury #49

I heard Peverill had a slight calf injury a week or 2 ago, so probably just cautious with him with so many AFL players availabl.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 pm

i wonder how the cats player is feeling after he collided with the fence. head 1st straight into the fence. when the ball was out on the full he still went for the mark
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 pm

haha yeah, i think it was shoulder first... either way he was down for a while and just stayed off.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 pm

nah head. i was in the other pocket and saw it. it didnt look good. reckon broken nose as well. looked like he was out cold. the game was over by then anyway. didnt dawes kick a goal from that play?
WKB 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Despite now living out Gippsland way I still made my pilgrimage to watch the VFL version of the pies have their first real hit out of the year.

First things first, the standard of VFL umpiring has stayed consistent (make of that what you want) and some may or may not have heard me make some comments on just that point at times throughout the game.

My Thoughts on some players (for what it's worth)

Rocca - I think he did reasonably well, he presented, hit contests hard and had second efforts which you want. Play him next week? If it was here maybe but not up in Brissy.

Goldy - Was his usual solid self, started like a house on fire but faded out as the game went on. Not his efforts etc just him and his opponent not where the contests were.

Toovey - Toovey is as Toovey does, he will go all day, hits contests hard but will always be that fine line between VFL and AFL

Bryan - I thought big bear was excellent today. Didn't do much, if any of the ruck work and spent most of the game up forward. Though like all our forwards he tended to lead to pockets etc but was strong. Floated up to half forward at times, even to the wing and had some good deliveries inside fifty. Could be a chance next week.

Dawes - I liked his game, seem to gel reasonably well with Rocca, I liked his Billy Picken style early on when a ball came into a pack in the forward line and he clearly yelled as he jumped into the pack "This is Dawesy's ball". Kicked a nice goal late on the game, he's good on the ground for a player his size. Needs to take that next step, but in a game where Rocca was the real target up forward (along with Bryan and lesser extent The Caf) he played the bit part that you need when you aren't the main target.

The Caf - I'm an unashamed fan of the lad so hard for me to make a real judgement, good not spectacular. Continued to present and work up the ground a lot.

Reid - I thought he had a solid game, played up back and did ok. Still his kicking seems to let him down but wasn't (or I don't remember it) being a clanger-heavy game in that regards.

Corrie - Like Goldy he started like a house on fire, was getting touches all over the place. Someone else said at times he's greedy, but more he doesn't like wasting a possession (though as a result there were a couple of times he ran himself into trouble), could have had a few more goals if he had kicked straight but I think he could be a handy player for us in the seniors at times this year.

Thoolen - Played at fullback and was on the bigger bodied Podsiadly. Upon saying that I thought he was ok, stuck with him most times on the lead, forcing Pods to have shots from a distance. The standout (and I think we all know he's still a work in progress) is his stamina. Games last year he was spent by half way through the second quarter.

Wood - He had some angry pills which I liked, though I don't think he is doing the necessary things he needs to do to be our number 2 ruckman (when potentially he could and should be our number 1). He floats in and out of games and at times doesn't make, or goes lazy at marking contests etc. It wasn't a bad game, and maybe I just desperately want him to improve exponentially each week, but I just expect more.

Stanley - Stanners is another, his work-rate is unbelievable, his attack on the contest also, strong overhead for his size. But his weak link is his kicking (and not just at goal, don't know what it was but no one could hit a set shot) and at times it showed during the game. Can't afford to have that. Upon saying that I'd like him to have some senior games where he spends more than a total of 8 minutes on the ground.

Cook - He knocks up getting touches and seems to have some real confidence in himself, doesn't like to waste a possession and will hold onto the ball and find an open teammate. I thought he was one of our better players.

Sharrod - Sharrod frustrates me, at times you want to yell at him to do the basics, not every possession has to be razzle dazzle. In a good game for Sharrod that is my one complaint, turning himself into trouble by trying to cut back in and get around a player (which when it works is great) but at the expense sometimes of actually being in space when he got the possy in the first place.

Keefe - Shared the ruck with Wood for most of the day, I like the boy. Big but agile, not afraid when the ball is at his feet and is a good kick. Lots to like about his game.

Reed - Came into it as the game went on, skinny lad but will make a real contest. Probably not his best kicking day (though not terrible) but the one thing I did like was he was pissed off with himself when he stuffed a kick, maybe it's just me but shows a bloke who wants to better himself and not content with just being where he is.

Sidebottom - I thought his second half was excellent, much better than his first where to me it took him awhile to get into the game. But to prove that despite writing these up every week I don't have a clue as the paper said he had 16 of 28 touches in the second quarter. But great signs and he looks like he could be a real player, let's not rush him though.

Blair - At the quarter time huddle I ran into his dad just randomly, who was a great bloke and had nothing but good things to say about the club and said his son was loving it down there. Well if the rest of his game was anything to go by I'd say the staff and supporters will love having him down there. Best on Ground for mine, thought he was exceptional. Ran, chased, tackled, harassed, found space, and importantly he found the pill and used it well.

I know i've forgotten players but I got most covered i'm pretty sure.

Overall a good first hit out of the year, nothing to show we will be slicing the competition apart but we will give a few teams a shake.
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:48 pm

The best thing about Blair is that he is so small that most tackles on him resulted in a free kick for too high.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Video of Dawes Fantastic Goal in the 4th Quarter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-H7K_wMYuY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

WKB wrote:
Despite now living out Gippsland way I still made my pilgrimage to watch the VFL version of the pies have their first real hit out of the year.

First things first, the standard of VFL umpiring has stayed consistent (make of that what you want) and some may or may not have heard me make some comments on just that point at times throughout the game.

My Thoughts on some players (for what it's worth)

Rocca - I think he did reasonably well, he presented, hit contests hard and had second efforts which you want. Play him next week? If it was here maybe but not up in Brissy.

Goldy - Was his usual solid self, started like a house on fire but faded out as the game went on. Not his efforts etc just him and his opponent not where the contests were.

Toovey - Toovey is as Toovey does, he will go all day, hits contests hard but will always be that fine line between VFL and AFL

Bryan - I thought big bear was excellent today. Didn't do much, if any of the ruck work and spent most of the game up forward. Though like all our forwards he tended to lead to pockets etc but was strong. Floated up to half forward at times, even to the wing and had some good deliveries inside fifty. Could be a chance next week.

Dawes - I liked his game, seem to gel reasonably well with Rocca, I liked his Billy Picken style early on when a ball came into a pack in the forward line and he clearly yelled as he jumped into the pack "This is Dawesy's ball". Kicked a nice goal late on the game, he's good on the ground for a player his size. Needs to take that next step, but in a game where Rocca was the real target up forward (along with Bryan and lesser extent The Caf) he played the bit part that you need when you aren't the main target.

The Caf - I'm an unashamed fan of the lad so hard for me to make a real judgement, good not spectacular. Continued to present and work up the ground a lot.

Reid - I thought he had a solid game, played up back and did ok. Still his kicking seems to let him down but wasn't (or I don't remember it) being a clanger-heavy game in that regards.

Corrie - Like Goldy he started like a house on fire, was getting touches all over the place. Someone else said at times he's greedy, but more he doesn't like wasting a possession (though as a result there were a couple of times he ran himself into trouble), could have had a few more goals if he had kicked straight but I think he could be a handy player for us in the seniors at times this year.

Thoolen - Played at fullback and was on the bigger bodied Podsiadly. Upon saying that I thought he was ok, stuck with him most times on the lead, forcing Pods to have shots from a distance. The standout (and I think we all know he's still a work in progress) is his stamina. Games last year he was spent by half way through the second quarter.

Wood - He had some angry pills which I liked, though I don't think he is doing the necessary things he needs to do to be our number 2 ruckman (when potentially he could and should be our number 1). He floats in and out of games and at times doesn't make, or goes lazy at marking contests etc. It wasn't a bad game, and maybe I just desperately want him to improve exponentially each week, but I just expect more.

Stanley - Stanners is another, his work-rate is unbelievable, his attack on the contest also, strong overhead for his size. But his weak link is his kicking (and not just at goal, don't know what it was but no one could hit a set shot) and at times it showed during the game. Can't afford to have that. Upon saying that I'd like him to have some senior games where he spends more than a total of 8 minutes on the ground.

Cook - He knocks up getting touches and seems to have some real confidence in himself, doesn't like to waste a possession and will hold onto the ball and find an open teammate. I thought he was one of our better players.

Sharrod - Sharrod frustrates me, at times you want to yell at him to do the basics, not every possession has to be razzle dazzle. In a good game for Sharrod that is my one complaint, turning himself into trouble by trying to cut back in and get around a player (which when it works is great) but at the expense sometimes of actually being in space when he got the possy in the first place.

Keefe - Shared the ruck with Wood for most of the day, I like the boy. Big but agile, not afraid when the ball is at his feet and is a good kick. Lots to like about his game.

Reed - Came into it as the game went on, skinny lad but will make a real contest. Probably not his best kicking day (though not terrible) but the one thing I did like was he was pissed off with himself when he stuffed a kick, maybe it's just me but shows a bloke who wants to better himself and not content with just being where he is.

Sidebottom - I thought his second half was excellent, much better than his first where to me it took him awhile to get into the game. But to prove that despite writing these up every week I don't have a clue as the paper said he had 16 of 28 touches in the second quarter. But great signs and he looks like he could be a real player, let's not rush him though.

Blair - At the quarter time huddle I ran into his dad just randomly, who was a great bloke and had nothing but good things to say about the club and said his son was loving it down there. Well if the rest of his game was anything to go by I'd say the staff and supporters will love having him down there. Best on Ground for mine, thought he was exceptional. Ran, chased, tackled, harassed, found space, and importantly he found the pill and used it well.

I know i've forgotten players but I got most covered i'm pretty sure.

Overall a good first hit out of the year, nothing to show we will be slicing the competition apart but we will give a few teams a shake.

Excellent report and from where I sat it was very accurate too.
Couldn't agree more about Blair. me and the missus came away from the game very excited about this kid. I hope he gets promoted to the senior list asap, I'm going to love watching him play for the pies.

One you did forget was McCarthy.
Brilliant first half. Burst through packs and hit the contest really hard.
Hopefully his injury is not serious and he gets a gig in the Collingwood midfield. God knows we need his tenacity.

Goldsack - Although I agree he did some really good things and seemed a class above most out there. He still lacks concentration at times and gets caught 10 meters away from his opponent when the ball comes in. He must play tighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours