Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

173 dead in bushfires. *Updated toll 12 pm Monday 30th

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

JacJacJacqui wrote:
It SHOULD be enough franki but sometimes it isn't, not with the way the legal system works these days. He'll probably serve two years. I think that's probably why people take such an interest, to add pressure?

I know what you're saying Jac, but spare a thought for his ex-girlfriend. Okay, she may be no brighter than Paris Hilton, but what does she have to do with these charges? By naming this bloke, she's been fingered by the media and shamed - but she's done nothing.

I also worry that some vigilantes will take out their anger on members of his family. Again, what the hell have they done to deserve that? I mean, if your uncle happened to be Charles Manson, why should you have to suffer any personal problems because of it? He did the crime, not you or any other members of his family. Not identifying the alleged person is not to protect him as much as to protect others who will be implicated by association. To identify this person is dangerous and unfair.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Had a chat today to a bloke who lost everything in the fire. It was his first day back. I started for a sec when I saw him in jeans and a casual shirt, then I remembered, his clothes were all burnt too.

I didn't ask anything, but he started telling me about it, getting it off his chest. Bloody hell. They were trapped in the house where they'd planned to sit out the fire, but they couldn't breathe because of the smoke, the radiant heat was coming through and the house was on fire. Couldn't get out the doors to make a run for it because of the radiant heat which was incredible.

Basically, they thought they were fragged.

Finally, they opened a door and the radiant heat was gone, but eveything around them was on fire. They wrapped themseleves up and made a run for it. Story stopped about there, but they obviously survived.

then he showed me the photoes of how they were building the second story on his house themselves over the last 3 years and what the finished house and surrounds looked like.

Then the photos of what's left.

FAAARRRK.

Bits of cooled molten metal next to what used to be the cars. House gone. Haysoos X Christ, what a scene.

I'm not sure if he realises it, but he's a seriously lucky man.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 pm

We're on the same page with that Jack. One of many reasons why these procedures need to be followed.

Stui, that is crazy. I have no idea what I would do in such a situation.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 am

A lot of us have doona's now, but it seems to be the good old wet blanket over the head is what has saved a lot of people! Note to self, keep a blanket or 2 close by!
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Victoria Police update bushfire death toll to 208 , 5:30pm 19 Feb 2009
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Victoria Police update bushfire death toll to 208 , 5:30pm 19 Feb 2009

So now we're back to daily updates. Confused

I'm confused. I would have accepted the rationale that it was too impersonal to run a "tally" in the media and to give the final figure once all the searches were over.

Now, with all the "fine tuning" of numbers (Churchill fires latest down from 21 to 11), one has to think they had a horrible statistical mess to sort out for a week. Hopefully now, we are being given the right figures.

I am heartened that the Marysville toll won't be as high as was predicted.

So sad that the Prom (one of my favourite places) is being burnt out again. The Department of Sparks and Embers is leaving it to burn. It was only a few years ago the DSE set it ablaze with a back burn gone wrong.

Interesting isn't it, that the CFA seems to be far more proficient at their business than the DSE (a government department with "professionals").
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:08 am

Thats unfair to say that. The DSE routinely fight fires in usually more rugged, inaccessible and, often more dangerous terrain than the CFA, and do a bloody good job doing it.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:25 am

They also start plenty of fires as well Laughing
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 am

eddiesmith wrote:

Having tended burn-offs in National Parks, its easy for these to get out of hand, but most don't in any serious manner. A lot of those sort of comments are just CFA point scoring.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:25 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Having tended burn-offs in National Parks, its easy for these to get out of hand, but most don't in any serious manner. A lot of those sort of comments are just CFA point scoring.

I apologise Ronnie. Seriously. My bad taste.
rambopriscilla Sagittarius

vvv USE FOUND FOR CAT!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Man Millgrove is a ghost town tonight. It looks as though everyone has heard the news reports and done the right thing and taken off, my wife and kids included. I've stayed, not to defend the house (it's insured..) but to wait at the fire station to see if/when we called to a fire. The good news is there are stacks of resources in the area ready to jump on anything that gets started, so hopefully everything will be ok. My fingers are crossed.

- "No that's God. He just tries to play like Millane"
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 am

rambopriscilla wrote:
Man Millgrove is a ghost town tonight. It looks as though everyone has heard the news reports and done the right thing and taken off, my wife and kids included. I've stayed, not to defend the house (it's insured..) but to wait at the fire station to see if/when we called to a fire. The good news is there are stacks of resources in the area ready to jump on anything that gets started, so hopefully everything will be ok. My fingers are crossed.

That's only a couple minutes before Warburton isn't it?

My fingers are crossed too. Good luck, be careful.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am

210 dead now confirmed. Sad

and now we get news of these new fires that are starting and also coz of that massive fire from black saturday which have moved across to new towns
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 pm

^ It can only end when Victoria finally gets some decent rain. Sadly, I'm no longer holding my breath on that score.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:54 pm

^^ doubt we will get rain. when it does rain it doesn't reach that far, time for some new technology to make it rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24   

Jump to: