Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

173 dead in bushfires. *Updated toll 12 pm Monday 30th

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

member34259 wrote:
Dale61 wrote:
Jihadists revel in our misery

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25054889-2862,00.html

Quote:
JIHADISTS are celebrating the worst tragedy in Victoria's history.

Terror watchdogs said fundamentalists had blogged on websites across the globe, applauding the lives lost and destruction.

Senior analyst at SITE Intelligence Group Adam Raisman said they were posting pictures of burnt homes and devastated victims and "taking joy in the scenes".

One jihadist wrote: "It would be an act of revenge for Australian's participation in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq."

I saw that as well Dale.
Glad you had the balls to post it.

Thanks Dale. As you know I got castigated last week for posting that Age article warning of such groups. The same article that has been picked up around the world. It seems Australians are still too concerned about stepping on toes, than facing up to the possible "awful truth" about groups such as this in our community.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:09 am

joffa corfe wrote:
The wonderful Muslim community here in the Northern Suberbs have been very active in raising money for the bushfire relief.

Of course Joffa. That's wonderful. It's what we should expect from all Australians. But let's not stick our heads in the sand and pretend there aren't some really bad eggs in there as well. It's one thing to be open and accepting to build bridges between communities, but let's not be gullible at the same time. That's all Dale is saying, surely.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 am

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Sky News is now reporting that the Bushfire death toll has increased to 189 people confirmed dead

There are some strange things happening with that toll figure. The Churchill fires now reduced from 21 to 10 deaths (that's a huge discrepancy!).

Still no full accounting of the Marysville fires. The good news (if we can any longer believe the figures - excuse me for become extremely cynical) is that it appears the toll won't go much higher now.

That's why I said last week I worried when they stopped counting last Tuesday (simply give us the unvarnished truth). Suddenly this week they start adding updates to the toll, but the figures are all over the place. Makes you wonder if we'll ever be told the true figures. Rolling Eyes
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:26 am

jack_spain wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
The wonderful Muslim community here in the Northern Suberbs have been very active in raising money for the bushfire relief.

Of course Joffa. That's wonderful. It's what we should expect from all Australians. But let's not stick our heads in the sand and pretend there aren't some really bad eggs in there as well. It's one thing to be open and accepting to build bridges between communities, but let's not be gullible at the same time. That's all Dale is saying, surely.

The source for that article is an American Bush regime funded private organisation with links to Blackwater which is run by a zealot who has got into legal trouble in the US for publishing this sort of unsourced material in the past. There is nothing in that article that suggests that the information was related to any comment made by an Australian Muslim and is likely to have been sourced (if its is true at all) from the USA.

This sort of 'black' disinformation (The Hun has a lot of form publishing this sort of stuff on many occasions) is aimed squarely at the gullible and you have taken the bait hook, line, and sinker. As for Dale he was caught out selectively editing the article to suit his xenophobic beliefs. Can you or even Dale show me some evidence that Australian Muslims are saying that stuff? Is there any evidence of that at all? I bet there is no evidence of that at all.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:40 am

jack_spain wrote:
Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Sky News is now reporting that the Bushfire death toll has increased to 189 people confirmed dead

There are some strange things happening with that toll figure. The Churchill fires now reduced from 21 to 10 deaths (that's a huge discrepancy!).

Still no full accounting of the Marysville fires. The good news (if we can any longer believe the figures - excuse me for become extremely cynical) is that it appears the toll won't go much higher now.

That's why I said last week I worried when they stopped counting last Tuesday (simply give us the unvarnished truth). Suddenly this week they start adding updates to the toll, but the figures are all over the place. Makes you wonder if we'll ever be told the true figures. Rolling Eyes

The toll is likely to be a lot higher. Incinerated human remains are very difficult to identify in the ashen ruins following a fire of that intensity. Some may never be found or identified. I suspect there will be a number of victims who will end up being labeled 'missing believed killed'. There may also be some who were visitors who will be harder to identify as there will be no local knowledge of them to aid in their identification (For example I was in Kinglake a few months back and there was a minibus full of backpackers visiting the town). As for the discrepancies, that's a bit strange but isn't necessarily sinister either. Disasters of this kind bring out the nutbags with the conspiracy theories and it is best to be as objective as possible, as this will assist the relatives to work through their grief in a healthy manner.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 pm

200 dead now
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm

201 now.

a fire fighter has died after a burnt tree fell on the truck that he was in
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Fire Up wrote:
201 now.

a fire fighter has died after a burnt tree fell on the truck that he was in

Just read that, how sad.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm

jack_spain wrote:

From the horses' mouth - the coppers who were there paint a different picture about the Marysville toll.

Doubts emerge over Marysville toll

Quote:
A POLICEMAN who helped save the lives of about 200 Marysville residents on Black Saturday believes the death toll in the town will be lower than feared.Asked about reports that one in five residents died, Leading Senior Constable Ian Hamill said: "No, I don't believe the numbers are that high."

Quote:
The official death toll in Marysville yesterday rose by three, to 39. Leading Senior Constable Hamill told reporters in the nearby town of Alexandra that police had spent a lot of time tracing residents.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/doubts-emerge-over-marysville-toll-20090217-8aa1.html

It's not only in war where truth is a casualty.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 pm

frankiboy wrote:
I don't understand all the hoo ha about naming and shaming this bloke. What exactly does that achieve?

I can understand that it might achieve a small amount of satisfaction and/or closure to the families of victims who want to put a name and face to the man who senselessly murdered their loved ones. It is potentially damaging to the case, even though it seems quite certain that he was the culprit in regards to the Gippsland fires - he won't get a fair trial as a result of this publicity. I kind of sit on the fence on this issue though because sometimes I feel like her doesn't deserve a fair trial. It's like the Mokbel case. There is so much evidence mounted against him that it is HIGHLY unlikely that he will get off and yet he is still entitled to a 'fair trial' (sure - different country but same concept). In a way it makes me angry. Like those Bali bombings guys. There's is no doubt they committed those horrific crimes and yet there they are laughing about it and getting a 'fair trial'. It's kind of a hard one. I like the name and shame in most instances, where publicity is the only way of deterring offenders. Like repeat sex offenders. But then there's the issue of how many times does a person have to 'repeat' an offence before they are unable to be rehabilitated? Because that is one of the main arguments against 'name and shame'. The criminal justice system aims to 'rehabilitate' which is impossible if there is a constant stigma against them in every community they attempt to integrate into.

Whoa! Rant. And no definite argument. LOL!

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 pm

yeh, no huge issue with the actual naming and shaming, particularly for the victims, I agree. I just wonder why people, who haven't been directly affected should be so interested? The police arrested him, should't that be enough? I couldn't give a rats what his name was.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm

It SHOULD be enough franki but sometimes it isn't, not with the way the legal system works these days. He'll probably serve two years. I think that's probably why people take such an interest, to add pressure?

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 pm

I understand what you're saying, jac. Put simply, I guess some things just interest people more than others
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah I guess so!

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:07 pm

it is 201 now with the fire fighter death last night.

a mrtyleford man has been arrested and taken to the local cop shop for starting a grass fire with a cigarette butt. nothing about charges yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24   

Jump to: