Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood - Dayne Beams - Selection Number 29

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WE now have Steele Beams

Get it ??? Steele Beams

Oh okay sorry 'bout that

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:22 am

Both he and Sidebottom were Bombers supporters
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:30 am

Seems like a good pick at that stage in the draft.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:48 am

Beams remind me a Bit of Ellis and Pendles
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:52 am

Definitely filled some needs with the first two picks. Like the look of both.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:59 am

Great pick up welcome to the pies Beamsy.
themonk 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:13 am

hard at it and skill, I love it
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:15 am

Hine said he is like Simon Black
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:35 am

Dayne Beams (Southport)

186/77 top-age right foot (dual-sided) mid.

*STYLE LIKE: Pendlebury

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 47
Earliest pick I'd be prepared to use (if necessary): NA.

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Possible. Ready year 2.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 10-15.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): M / L / L

*TRADEMARK:

- Trot alone at his leisure before choosing his moment to act, then cleanly (perhaps very deftly) pluck the ball, perhaps from heavy congestion, then show excellent vision and quick hands to deliver a powerful feed with high hurt factor.

- One-handed aerial pluck (not necessarily a marking situation) showing great ball control and move off without breaking stride.

- Nailed through taking too long to dispose.

*MAIN SELLING POINTS:

- Vision
- Clean hands and especially ball control
- Quick hands

*MAIN QUERY:

- Too reactive
- Competitiveness / intensity / plays his own game
- Pace
- Kicking reliability

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Top-age predator onball/flanker with some top-shelf AFL attributes but is reactive and plays to his own tune. I'll be upfront; he's (at least in his current style) not the type of player I like. I expect him to display intensity based on when it is needed, not just when he is "in the mood".

- At '08 Champs, averaged 24 disposals and 4.0 tackles per game and 3.6 of every 20 disposals were officially HBG's. If you never saw him play but went on his stats, you'd probably conclude he was an accountable hard-working ball magnet who gets his own ball. You'd be wrong.

In fairness, 30d+ in each of his 3 TAC games '08, each game against a good team. Averaged 24d in '08 Champs but 34d were against NT - only 19d in each of the other 2 games.

His stats sound impressive but he doesn't have the impact they suggest.

Although he does some really classy things (ball control, vision, quick hands) every game, I am uneasy about players who let opponents make the play. Beams is very reactive (rather than proactive) and plays the game very much on his own terms. He waits to see what unfolds and then picks his moment. He gets away with that far more at U18 and QAFL level than he will at AFL. At AFL level these days, the opponent will frequently make you pay. AFL opponents don't have the relatively high number of errors for a Beams type to seize upon that U18 and QAFL players do. You don't gift AFL opponents first crack at the ball. Much of the good stuff Beams will do at AFL will be countered by the damage he allows opponents to inflict. i.e. My main beef with Beans is not what he does but what he doesn't do.

I would be quite keen on him (based on his almost elite vision, ball control and quick hands) if his intensity / competitiveness and pro-activity were even half-decent. They're not so I'm not.

I included him in my rankings because he has some standout attributes, I expect him to play AFL games and, if he can address my concerns to at least a fair degree, he will sustain an AFL career. It is fairly rare however for a player with the above flaws intrinsic in their style (intensity, reactive) to be able to adequately address such flaws. Hence my lowish ranking and why I would not draft him myself.

*DISPOSAL:

- Dual-sided. Healthy mix of kicks to feeds (although a little low) and of long kicks to short kicks.

- Kicking is not reliable. He is not a frequent poor kick per se (e.g. he does some pin-point passes >40m), just not a reliable one.

- Kicks often have long hang-time. Gets good power in some kicks but, on other occasions, tends to kick under the ball, sometimes due to over-extending his plant foot (meaning his kicking foot has to "chase" the ball instead of "meeting" it, his COM being too far behind (leaning back"). Also inclined to unnecessarily kick across his body on occasions.

- Not a big goal-kicker but quite an adept shooter, including snaps under pressure and set shots.

- Feeds: Quick hands. Not routinely reliable but often good. A healthy % of his feeds have good power and high hurt factor, even (especially?) under great pressure.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Excellent vision and poise under pressure. He can generally be relied upon to take the right option under real pressure. Ironically, when he doesn't take the right option (instead choosing to kick long instead of looking for options), it's usually when not under great pressure.

- Predator at stop plays - natural inclination is to automatically take a few steps back and see what unfolds before he commits to action.

- Sometimes doesn't seem tuned into the moment. e.g. I've noticed at few occasions where a team-mate went to feed to him but Beams was just trotting away, oblivious to being an option.

A bit too frequently, takes too long to dispose. Hard to tell if it's an issue of awareness or over-confidence or too casual but I strongly suspect it's most often a combination of the last two. I don't see it as inability to think quickly and he is fairly often a quick thinker and/or clever.

- Good evasion.

- Quite adept at stealing the ball / stripping the opponent.

*HANDS:

- Ball control: Excellent (occasionally amazing) ball control, regardless of pressure. Ball control is as good as any U18 kid that I can recall. I'm not talking of gathering the ground ball or being clean at waist level but, way beyond that, his very regular ability to pluck an aerial ball with one hand and maintain control of the ball (often moving off with it in the same motion). What adds to the appeal of that ability is that he usually quickly thinks through such situations - i.e. he somehow usually has an instinctive plan in mind, of which the ball pluck is a key feature but is not the entire plan. He is perhaps a little to confident in his ball control though as there are times when he doesn't play the percentages in how he goes for the ball but instead it almost looks like he is showing off. AFL tempo might deliver him some messages in that regard but it's still an impressive ability.

- He's not routinely clean at ground level but overall very good.

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Not a big feature of his game (he plays smallish) . He takes some contested marks (mainly from front) and is competitive 1-1 (when he goes) and has shown courage in doing so on occasions but he is also capable of dropping the occasional sitter.

Can be inclined to mark on chest instead of with hands. Not a standard habit though. Occasionally also unnecessarily tries to mark with one hand.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Pace: He often looks a pace query. Stiff running style. Hard to gauge his overall pace capability as he rarely pushes himself. On occasions, his pace over ground looks OK (and he sometimes carries the ball) but he does lack zip off the mark.

- Balance: He is not reliably good at keeping his balance body on body.

- Defensive agility is quite good.

- Was listed as 179cm in '06 U16 Champs. If (!) that was correct, he's grown 7cm in 2 years.

- Seems to keep himself in excellent nick. I saw him with his jumper off at a break - not an ounce of fat, all muscle.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Intensity is his weak suit. Does way too much trotting, spectating and letting opponents make the play. Too often seems to have no real interest in chasing or attacking either man or ball. 2nd efforts are mixed bag. I've seen no reason to question his courage and he does show desperation or physicality on occasions. He also does some hard-running when it suits him. It's the lack of *frequency* of intensity that I have issue with. There are just too many times when he seemingly plays "lazy".

He does get a decent number of what I class as hard ball gets but mainly when the play is fairly static (i.e. at congestion rather than in physically-confronting situations).

- Quite a healthy tackle count but it's a bit misleading re his intensity and the pressure he applies. He is not big on chasing so his tackles come from when he is already virtually adjacent to the opponent. In such situations, his tackles are indeed usually effective and sometimes physical. However, his natural style is to let others make the play. Hence many of his tackles come from Beams sweating on an opponent who he has allowed first crack at the ball. That approach will not translate well to AFL. For AFL, he needs to be much more pro-active and put much more effort into getting his own ball. His ratio of 3.6 HBG/20D at '08 Champs flatters him.

- When he does "feel like it", he is an effective tackler, good spoiler and adept at corralling.

- Occasionally gets stripped of the ball.

- Down to earth kid who seems unlikely to get ahead of himself.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Consistency of game-by-game form is very good. Consistency of virtually minute-by-minute effort is what he needs to work on (see above).

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Depends greatly on what changes, if any, he makes to intensity / playing style (see above). If he doesn't radically change these, then consider him as another Pendlebury with less accurate kicking and less slipperiness. That would be the extent of my planned *regular* roles for him if I was drafting him. If (and I'm dubious) he improved his intensity / pro-activeness / work-rate, he has the other attributes for creating play from HBF even though his pace isn't flash.

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- No special factors I'm aware of.

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '08 TAC:
Averaged 32 disposals in 3 local games (ranking No.1 in comp). 0.3 contested marks. 3.7 tackles. Total goals 7-1 .
9 kicks per 20 disposals.
Ineffective kicks: 3.7 per 10 kicks.
Ineff handballs: 3.2 per 10 handballs.
Ineffective disposals: 6.9 per 20 disp.
HandBall Receives: 7.9 per 20 disp. Uncontested marks: 2.9 per 20 disp. HR+UM: 10.8 per 20 disp.
Contested Marks: 0.2 per 20 disp.
At least: 20 disposals in 3 games, 25 in 3 games, 30 in 3 games, 35 in 1 games.

- Stats summary '08 U18 Champs:
Averaged 24 disposals and 5.0 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 34). (Tot TOG 0%).
Averaged 11 kicks per 20 disposals.
Kicks long vs short: 13-10 (6 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 17/40 (4.3 per 10 kicks), incl 4 clangers (1.0 per 10 kicks).
Ineff handballs: 5/32 (1.6 per 10 handballs), incl 1 clangers (0.3/10 hb).
Ineffective disposals: 22/72 (6.1 per 20 disp), incl 5 clangers (1.4 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 29/72 (8.1 per 20 disp). Uncontested marks: 11/72 (3.1 per 20 disp). HR+UM: 40/72 (11.1 per 20 disp).
Contested marks: 4 (1.1 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 13/72 (3.6 per 20 disp).
SP Clears: 11/72 (3.1 per 20 disp), incl 5 CBC (1.4/20 disp) and 3 other BU (0.8/20 disp).
Tackles: 12 (Avg 4.0 per game).

*OTHER STUFF:

- Injured hip in '08 QAFL GF so couldn't do tests at DC.
- Good QAFL Seniors form '08, especially late season when moved from HFF into midfield.

BlackAndWhiteSince87 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:59 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Hine said he is like Simon Black

We could do alot worse than having a player like Black!
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:03 pm

I am absolutely rapped. Couldnt be happier.

They were the 2 on my wish list as i said in another thread pre-draft.

My day is going to be a good one.

kambarker 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

DaVe86 wrote:

Congrats DaVe.
You are good Picker.

Hope they both live up to their reputations.

Go Pies! Bring on 2009

On the March 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:23 pm

DaVe86 wrote:

Yea saw that...outstanding Exclamation
Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Nickname "Beamer" according to team mates at Southport. Another Dane Swan in the making...right down to the tattoo Wink
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm

jackcass wrote:
Both he and Sidebottom were Bombers supporters

good, they will be very passionate on ANZAC day. Anyone who barracks for Pies or Bombers will lift for this game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: