Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Pies aren't what they used to be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Sadly, not too much is what it used to be!

Indeed.

I have it on good authority that nostalgia ain't what it used to be either.

Robbie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:18 am
Post subject: Not NeededReply with quote

I have never been so disappointed with a post as I was with this one. So much so I was not going to comment on the obvious waste of the sentiments outlined by the author of this dismal subject. I believe any supporter with your attitude should not only stop supporting Collingwood but not support any team or individual ever again.

The Club is made of the Members and Supporters first, and to confuse the job of the players and board you have made only confirms you have never really pushed yourself enough to understand why a player gives so much, and why the Magpies have been loved and hated for so long. Magpie supporters love the Club and the players wearing Black and White on the oval, and we turn up no matter how the season is going because we know it helps our players and upsets the competition players and supporters.

We are there for them you fool, and I have been following the Pies for longer than you, and been proud of the consistently large crowds and members we continue to enjoy, and if you can't see that sufficient for you then do us all a favour, and ?*@k off.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 am

A life ban too little
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:32 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The only thing Hine has done wrong in the last 2 years has been to recruit has-beens from other clubs.

Russell (was that his name?) - FAIL

Quinten Lynch - FAIL

Clinton Young - FAIL

Jessie White - Borderline/FAIL

The good thing is we have drafted these players without giving up much, so they were probably gambles worth pursuing, however, imo the gambles have all failed. Only White has shown he may yet come good, but he's unlikely to do so.

Agree RudeBoy - the Pies have had very little return for our mature age pick-ups over the last few years. Armstrong, and Karnezis may yet prove to be good pick-ups but as you indicated the more mature guys have been a huge FAIL!

I would love the club (Hine) to target some tougher players - should enable our young players to develop while the more mature guys put their bodies on the line. I want the opposite to Young - I want inside players - players who stand up and love the heat!

We need to appreciate Collingwood are a young club now and may need to target a few enforcers to clear paths for the young guys and ensure our guns can last a few more seasons!

Stinger 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:44 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The only thing Hine has done wrong in the last 2 years has been to recruit has-beens from other clubs.

Russell (was that his name?) - FAIL

Quinten Lynch - FAIL

Clinton Young - FAIL

Jessie White - Borderline/FAIL

The good thing is we have drafted these players without giving up much, so they were probably gambles worth pursuing, however, imo the gambles have all failed. Only White has shown he may yet come good, but he's unlikely to do so.

I agree & disagree.

I agree that the output of these players hasn't met the expectations of when we first drafted them.

I disagree that Hine was wrong. Keep in mind that these players were recruited via free agency in a period when GWS and GC were cherry picking the best young players in the land. All other teams were left scratching around for the rest. The Pies were playing in Grand Finals and Prelims hence way down in the pecking order already in terms of talent selection.

I would rather have chanced these guys than your next: Luke Rounds, Jarrad Blight, Daniel Farmer, Kirk Ugle, Jackson Paine - who were all picked up in Round 3+. All young guys and all never made it for various reasons.

Sure the players were has-beens but at least they slotted into the senior team. Please list the players (18/19 year olds) in these drafts, from pick 50 onwards that could have slotted into the Pies best 22 during the past 2 seasons to fill the same role as the FREE AGENCY players that you listed.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:51 am

Nicks aint what it used to be Confused

On the drafting of mature aged "has been" players. Darren Jolly, Luke Ball and Leigh Brown took us to a premiership.

It is all about getting the mix right. The mix is all wrong at the moment.

In 2004-05-06 the focus seemed to be on TAC Cup premiership kids who showed that they could keep their head in the big games. It netted us Pendlebury, Dale Thomas, Sidebottom and Beams. That seemed like a worthwhile focus.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Sidebottom and Beams taken 08, of course.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:53 pm

die4pies wrote:
Nicks aint what it used to be Confused

On the drafting of mature aged "has been" players. Darren Jolly, Luke Ball and Leigh Brown took us to a premiership.

It is all about getting the mix right. The mix is all wrong at the moment.

In 2004-05-06 the focus seemed to be on TAC Cup premiership kids who showed that they could keep their head in the big games. It netted us Pendlebury, Dale Thomas, Sidebottom and Beams. That seemed like a worthwhile focus.

Perhaps none of us are what we used to be Shocked

I was a legend in my own lunchbox.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: