Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A positive Jack Anthony thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> NBB Player Sponsorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jack_spain wrote:
Snoop Dog wrote:
maybe you and Malthouse are on different pages. seemed little disappointed with Jack in the post match and suggested maybe Jack could get serious about his last 10mins of kicking practice.

Did Mick Malthouse take a good look at himself in the mirror last night too! I've been very supportive of him this season, but last night's coaching effort was so calpably bad they must have been eating takeway in the coaches box (except only Geelong is good enough to get away with that).

It's a bit rich to blame Jack for poor kicking when he's been one of our best this year. But then some people think I'm blind for saying that for all his stats Pendlebury has had very little influence on games this year. I hope Mick reflects deeply on his failings this year, because as courageous as our young side was at times, we failed and will always fail until we win the big one. We are too accepting of defeat in this era at Collingwood. I can forgive failure, as I will most of the team last night, but what I won't continue to stomach is people who think we're doing alright going year after bloody year and never threatening to win a flag!

You've had 10 years Mick and one more to go on contract. The equation is simple: No flag = no renewal of contract MM.

Jack, I have to respectfully disagree with you there ; I don't think it matters how good the coach is, he's not going to win a flag with a side that is not ready. I recall the Pies belting Geelong two years ago by about 100 points at Skilled, and the Cats' fans and the scribblers were all crying for Thompson's head. The truth was that his team was not, at that time, ready. Likewise, for me this Collingwood team, this year, could not really have gone much further than it did. That we are getting finals action while rebuilding is a bonus, and I think that a coach has to be judged on more than flags alone. Just as a teacher should be judged on what they get out of the class they've been given, not how many A-graders they get, I think Mick has done a good job with teams that have never been the most talented team in the comp, in any of the ten years he has coached.

I get frustrated at times with our wide game-plan and tendency to lose gimme games, but I think the coach should be credited on his 2008 performance and in fact across his 9 years to date. Whether his contract is extended beyond 2009 depends on how the team performs in 2009, but I think that sacking the coach because he hasn't won a premiership is the Richmond path to short-termism, division and mediocrity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> NBB Player Sponsorship All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: