Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Article in Herald Sun "Humble Pies"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:56 pm
Post subject: Article in Herald Sun "Humble Pies"Reply with quote

I read an article in the Herald Sun today titled "Humble Pies". It talked about how deep a hole Collingwood was in when Eddie, MM, and Greg Swann arrived in 1999. We were deep in debt and going down hill fast. Now we are one of the best run clubs going around.

I for one reckon Eddie is an absolute legend for what he has done for Collingwood, we wouldn't be in this position without him. I hope he reads this and hears how appreciative we are for his efforts.

Keep up the fantastic work Eddie - my membership of Collingwood for the next few years is assured.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thanks a bunch eddie.

I also heard that Mick Malthouse has this thing in his contract that if Eddie gets the flick he is leaving too.

So if Eddie stays, Micky stays, if Eddie goes, Micky goes.
So we got them for a while i expect!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~LiSeY~*
*~Jarrod Molloy's Number One Fan!~*
*~Jarrod is my baby and nobody else's~*

http://groups.msn.com/AlyssasCollingwoodClub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:52 pm

Im a little suprised this topic has recieved bugger all replies, the story mentioned which appeared in todays herald sun will become the greatest story in our clubs history
It was the best football story i have ever read, if you havnt seen it i suggest you do.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !.............................http://www.mp3.com/joffa

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:22 pm

who in ****s name would get rid of eddie?!?!?!?

imagine the uproar if they did get rid of him!

he has been that good for the club its not funny!!!

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:13 pm

Brian I think the article you are talking about Craig posted here http://www.magpies.net/nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004754.html
As for Eddie, He is a champion! a Collingwood champion!
My mates ask me why I am a member of a football club I only ever get to see play on the TV, the answer is that Eddie said to. when he said in 99 that its time to put your money where your mouth is the club needs members etc., what else can ya do.
I love Collingwood! the next few years of my life will be spent working/migrating My family towards Melbourne so we can be near Collingwood but thats another story.

In Eddie we trust.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:58 pm

read it. everybody. read it to your kids at bedtime for christ sake(brainwash 'em early i say). the future of our club has been provided by the foundation of eddie and co. a brilliant job.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:59 pm

Top call Joffa, and magpiemad.....we'd be rooted if it wasnt for Eddie & co....never ever forget it. Anyone who bags those blokes needs shooting. I remember the admin getting heaps off a few people here a year or so ago, having a go at the trading (or lack of), why we didnt get Gehrig etc....and a few wise heads (including obviously, yours truly) always made the point how screwed we were, and these guys were pros and winners...give em time. Its a lot harder to save a ship than sink it. We still have a way to travel, and the further up the mountain you go, the thinner the air gets. The easy bit is over, the hard stuff is yet to come. Its time to get the head down and get behind our club even more than we do now.

mad, at least you get to see em on TV, my mates can't figure out why I buy a membership and don't even live in the country!

GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:00 am

Thanks to Eddie and all associated with the rise of the club. Also thanks to members of this site for alerting those of us out of Melbourne to the article. The Herald Sun is rarely seen in my town of Canberra, for good reason.

We must remember that the fall took only 7-8 years and it can happen again. Successful administrations and teams do not mean success tomorrow, it needs to be worked at. There are many lessons to be learnt from the last ten years, for me the flowing four stand out.

1. Past players do not necessarily make coaches (Shaw) or administrators (Rose), in fact they can be quite disastrous ($1.7m debt, worst list in the AFL). People in these positions need to be appointed on merit not because they played for Collingwood and/or have run a moderately successful small business.

2. All activities of the club need to be open and transparent in order to avoid sliding back into poor practise. The openness and honesty as well as the attention to detail of the current board and coaching staff is very satisfying to observe.

3. Support staff in all aspects of the club are vitally important, the likes of Laidley, Gotch, Brown, Swan, Balme and many others is crucial.

4. Club image these days is also important in order to attract and maintain strong financial support. The days of the drunken lout swearing, snapping, and snarling at the football (I have been guilty of this), or racially abusing players is over.

Interesting also to read about the cheer squad and Eddie’s recent involvement, seems a difficult issue well handled.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:03 am

Living in WA, you get to see that people just don't understand some things about Ed. 9 out of 10 eagles supporters would read that article and say "must've been written by CFC". I have kept a copy of the article for my kids (don't have any yet) in generations to come. I will let them know that this is the reason our mighty club is in the middle of the greatest dynasty ever.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:12 am

We got a report in the Daily Telegraph (LIBERAL PAPER) that Ed and Jackson were at loggerheads over some story that EMc was supposed to have told Jackson to bite his bum and take $100,000:00 out of the coffers to assure that the PIES were able to have a game against Sydney at Sadium Australia.
Apparently this conflict was supposed to have taken place last year,BUT only came to light in a story generated by the Footy Show.
Any ways the Telegraph is putting the pressure on E.Mc to come clean and tell the whole story.
Seems that because a GREAT team like the PIES has an EXCELLENT President and committee,they are doing something wrong....What is up Jacksons nose??????

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:38 am

First of all, it was a fantastic read.

Peter,

Eddie and Jackson had an argument when Eddie first became President of the club. Jackson was pressuring Collingwood into playing a game in Sydney because we needed the money, the offer was $100,000.

Eddie and Swann felt that this was a really bad deal (because Melbourne make $300,000 at the Gabba) and told the AFL to go jump. Eddie felt that the AFL were trying to take advantage of him with this deal and trying to get him into their pockets.

Fortunately, we did not go through with the deal (which also Andrew Demitrou (sp?) said was a really bad deal, and told Jackson this) and Eddie and Swann got us out of the gurglar themselves. Does that make sense?

It seems your paper up there is a bit slow in reacting to stories.

JDF
clokeforever34 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:03 am

im a bit curious about what's going on in a lit part of the article:

"until last year it was factionalised,"he exlplained (eddie that is), they had the official, the unofficial,the grog squad and some other mob,they hated each other and would cat-call at each other during the games. we sorted it out last year , but abot three weeks ago it started to come apart again through egos.

"i called them all in and said, 'i want you to know i run this place. other than the players the cheer squad is our most visable sign on match days. We want it to work. if you want to muck up you are out and i'll ban you from coming to the game.
I'll put soembody in to run it or i'll stand down there and be the cheer squad leader until we get it right."

whats going on there?????????

Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:42 am

There has been problems within the various cheer factions. Joffa alerted us to possible problems earlier in the season.
I think Ed is right on this issue. The cheersquads, official or not, are the most visible thing apart from the players on match day. They must simply find common ground and direct their energies towards the betterment of CFC.

-craig

Rowdy4ever 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:27 pm

I think Eddie is a fantastic president for CFC and we should be extremely grateful for what he has done for Collingwood and will hopefully continue to do so AND I also think he is a great radio commentator......and that's about it.

As for Mickey, always loved you even when you were at the Eagles and too excited for words when you joined us!!

RHYSTHEKING 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:28 pm

Dont get me wrong, Eddie is a fantastic president and HAS saved this club in more ways than one...but he would not have had to save the club if clowns like Alan Macalister did not dig us in a hole. Eddie and Swannie are the massiahs of our club off the feald and deserve full credit for patching up our clubs problems.

NICK DAVIS IS KING #19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: