Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

clement not in the 5 players maybe selected for all australi

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:53 am
Post subject: clement not in the 5 players maybe selected for all australiReply with quote

i was suprised that clement want amongst the 5 pies players that maybe selected for all australian,i guess he has the next half of the season to prove himself,who agrees with what i said??

Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clemo has been excellent, but probably not outstanding enough to gain selection so far. I was surprised that Leon Davis hasn't been short-listed - he has been a standout and revelation in the forward line. He has come on a lot since last year where his explosive pace is a real worry for opposition defenders.

Also unlucky is Fraser (after a slow start is really firing).

"Grinners are Winners.."
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:18 am

I though the selections from Collingwood were pretty predictable. Bucks got in on reputation and Tarrant and Rocca were logical choices as forwards. Burns got some well deserved recognition. He is one of the most important players in our lineup. Our defense is solid but unspectacular. That is effective in matches but noone catches the eye of AA selectors. Presti has had as good year as any full back. He will come under notice come September when the scribes try and work out why we have the tightest defense in the league. I expect Clemmo to get some recognition then too.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:55 am

Clemo isn't an outstanding player. he's damn good, hard to beat, but he's not the likes of rocca, tarrant or bucks. He is an integrat part of our backline, a gret bloke, and I'm not knocking him, but I'm just saying he's not as "good" as those five.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:03 am

no disrepect to clemo, but i think brown26 is right. and i dont think clement would see himself as a star. the beauty of our bacline is just that - no big names, which often leads to them being under-rated which is usually a positive for us. presti, clemo, tarks, burns(who is a star but will probably never get due recognition), cloke(will be a star), freeza, richo etc etc. just all very good, solid players prepared to put their bodies on the line and work together. having said that, im still constantly amazed at how surprised commentators are when describing how good our defence is.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:04 am

*backline

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:12 am

Don't forget the time spent on the pine for Presti in alot of those early games... Likka was an inspired choice - he's done some great jobs - what about the way he shut down (the normally very pesky) shannon grant! Bucks may play his best footy in september when other teams try and shut down the rest of our midfield. (He'll look good standing there beside Mick on that podium anyways... shhhh don't say that Cam Yeah i thought Leon should have got a look in (my wife gave birth to our first baby, a boy, last week and we named him Leon, thank God he wasn't black though Already a member of the 'pies - the child has no choice

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:10 pm

How about Presti . His season has been great , as a backman, (full back in fact) his primary goal is to stop the opposition, I dont know the figures , but I would be very surprised if any other full back has had so few goals kicked on him. Sure he's not flamboyant but when you play on Tredrea, Lloyd, Hall, Lynch, etc you only need to be defensive , and at this point NOBODY DOES IT BETTER. !!!. My smokey for All AUstralian (he can still be put up by the selection committee)

Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:32 pm

exactly right about Presti. Rarely beaten, if he takes the oppositions main scorer out of teh game, ie. Llyod, Tredrea, lynch, it gives us such an advantage.

tessa 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:57 am

Cummon the people picking this "team" are going reputation and who the clubs want up.What the are Hird,Lloyd even Bucks doing there.The clubs are asked who they want up then the "selectors go through and select from that,how can that process be right.Ie:
Essendon put up Hird and Lloyd obviously cause thay are their "franchise" players so they "MUST" be up there to increase the value to the team.We put up Buckley even though he has had a shit (by his own admission) few games quite a few games.And l heard Healey on 3yAWn sayin Flecter Vs Presti that Presti hasn`t got the reputation of Flecter,even though he admitted Presti has been better this year.So go figure it out l`de say typical footy politics.

Tessa (pmm)

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:02 am

Tessa are you saying Buckley wouldn't be in your top 5 players at collingwood? what about top 10? surely he's top 20? top 22? then if he's having a shit year, why is he in the team? he still does things no one else on the ground can do, just not as many of them!!

you've gotta remember also they're picking the squad for october, not for july, and bucks is very likely to be amongst the top 5 pies by then. As are llyod and hird at essendon, for that matter.

it really doesn't do the club any wrong to create another franchise player, Bucks loses little by not being named in the all australian team, (he gets a lot of free press) but if burns makes it, you've got another franchise player. look at licca after the copeland. a hell of a lot of press and publicity on a guy who otherwise wouldn't get so much.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:19 am

Brown 26, I wouldn't take any notice of Tessa's opinion.
He takes great delight on FTO in bagging Bucks to get a reaction.
I don't particularly want to have to read his opinions on here.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:55 am

hmmm.

its a bit hard to standout every week when you have the oppositions best tagger, or even taggers on you.

he might not be having the best games by HIS STANDARDS but if it was any other player nothing would be said.

tall poppy syndrome at its best tessa.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:04 am

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"
MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:35 am

Some of you are a little sensative re Bucks. He is a champ. but he is out of form. Whether it's injury, tagging or just plain old touch, he is not anywhere near his best. His mediacre is still as good as most players good form though. He is servicable at the moment and that is about it. He is still very much worthy of a place in the side but not AA material. You just have to be realistic.

I have actually been pleased to see our reduced reliance on him. The real bonus is that opposition sides still think in the no Buckley, no Collingwood mentality. It's great see half a dozed midfielders carve an opposition up when they sit there saying, "well we've held Buckley, we'll get them now". Then next week same thing - only swap 2 of the midfiders over and give it to a different forward. It's quite amusing really. Actually it's awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: