Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Chant.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:52 am
Post subject: The Chant.Reply with quote

Didn't notice The Chant as much at the game, (but I was sitting at the direct opposite end of the Stadium), but when I came home I actually caught The Chant on the Replay. With a bit more practice it's sure to catch on.

P.S. Nobody hands out pamphlets the way I do!

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.
Don’t believe the Facts until you’ve read the Rants!
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sitting almost the other end of the ground to the cheer squad and thought it sounded good at the game but I was surprised how loud it sounded on TV. Well done to everyone involved - it was a great effort and will sound awesome when more Pies supporters catch on and join in.

No doubt we are the best cheer squad and supporters in the league! The AFL will be licking their lips that the Pies are doing well and raking in more money for them and the league!

GO PIES!
Marg

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:37 am

Sounds like we got a good "mix" on the desk.

As London Dave said on another thread, making it sound louder than it actually was can only help promote it. Fake it till we make it.

From where I was, I couldn't tell how far it had spread. It was definitely the loudest thing that happened up our end all night.

Full marks to the Man-In-Gold with his Red Flag. I'm sure the imposing sight of him revving up the crowd helped to extend it to the bays near the Cheer Squad. But whether it went beyond the pockets at the Coventry End I really couldn't tell.

Therefore I can't really say how effective the flyers were. But those who went to the trouble of handing them out deserve credit for their hard work. I think the reward for your efforts will be cumulative. You've given it a good kick start ... and the sound engineer on TV has helped.

You may well be on to a winner here. And I'll be proven wrong, because I didn't think it would have legs. And I don't mind being proven wrong if it makes the Collingwood crowd sound great. But it's pretty obvious that the Red Flag chant won't have a snowball's chance in hell on a losing day.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:45 am

I watched the replay when I got home and the chant sounded really loud compared to where I was at the ground (at the other end).
One of the commentators said that there was a 'soccer like atmosphere' at one stage when the chant was going. I really think it will work if it's presisted with.
A group of 20 or more people who are in the know about The Chant sitting at the opposite end of the ground to the cheer squad would give it a good boost.

'caveat pica pica'
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:20 am

Well Dgen ...

Looks like you're it.

Marshall those troops, mate.
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:41 pm

I could almost sit here and cry because last night we were up against it from the beginning, infact let me be brutally honest we recieved jack shit help thanks to mags and frankie for all her hard work and rhys whose enthusiam was a godsend.
I was pretty happy about the way it went as we only had enough time to saturate the bays beside the cheer squad and certain areas above the cheer squad, we just ran out of time.

Before the next melbourne game we will have a bigger flag a much bigger flag i will go out and get some silk material, i really believe before the year is out we will have this thing happening at all collingwood games..but we need everyone to get involved, we need paper to print fliers we need people to help distribute the fliers...we just need 30 minutes of your time before the game starts.

The positive is and the thing that makes me believe this thing will work is the response we got last night from where i was standing the noise level was brilliant and more importantly it was fun, to all of you who joined in and made it the success it was i thank you very much, we will get this thing happening because we are collingwood.
I will put up a new post before the geelong game just to let every one know that we are serious about this thing.
thanks once again.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !.............................http://www.mp3.com/joffa

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:23 pm

To be honest, Joff, don't like the idea of a red flag amidst all the Black & White.

I think you should get a huge magpie (like the one on the jumper), put it on an huge banner, and unfurl it when the time's right. Everybody will see that and it'll come to mean the start of the chant.

Or maybe get a checkered-flag, like they have at Grand Prixs. That's black & white, and waving it would signal it's time to go!

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.
Don’t believe the Facts until you’ve read the Rants!
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:18 pm

i figured it was read to distinguish it(???). bit hard to pick out a particular black and white flag among them all.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:19 pm

bloody hell....long day. cant even spell RED.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:46 am

Dr Alf, I live in WA and have been to many Freo games. Trust me when I say that chant doesn't hear the light of day when Freo lose.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Pants 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:16 am

At colonial I have seats on the 50m line round to the right of the cheer squad. I looked out for the red flag and did see the gold man waving it after one of Didaks goals - but couldn't hear anything other than those around me chanting Coll-ing-wood, clap, clap, clap - as happens after most goals. Maybe the best time to try and start the chant, for now, is during quieter periods. That way more people might realise what is happening.
Dont be discouraged - I was at the MCG for the cricket when the mexican wave first appeared in Australia in 87 - it took bay 13 ages to get it going but once it took off, man did it take off!
Victory goes to the most persevering - as Napoleon once said!!

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:50 am

Hey Joffa,
It's a shame you didn't get much help.
I got there early especially and handed out as many flyers as I could - even in the bars. I even sang a demo with every one.
Hang on - maybe that was the problem. Lol.

clokeforever34 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:44 am

Sooooooooooo sorry joffa i was supposed to get there early but we ended up getting a seat half way through the first quarter but the chant was great on the tele and if we play even better against geelong we will have more time to start it up.

I came down at half time to say geday with my freind travis but i think u were in the bar or something so ill have to catch u against the cats and i was looking for u too cobood and even asked some some people where u were but they said ohh she was right there but now i cant find her.

anyway it was a great win and im looking forward to smashing the dicks from adelaide

"my religion is footy and my church is collingwood"

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:42 am

Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions and to think a week ago this was just a pipedream i reckon we are on a winner, look i have been thinking about the red flag and i think we should keep it, i dont want this to be a joffa thing or a man in gold thing i want it to be a collingwood thing and thats why i dont really want to use a gold flag, it will be harder at the MCG but i reckon we will have to carry the chant a little longer and with the exposure it got at colonial its gotta help us, but we will need to still print flyers and we need as much help as possible, you all saw what we did without little help imagine what it would be like if everybody got behind this thing.

I will post in a weeks time just to jolt everyones memory and ask again for help leading up to the geelong game.
Thanks everyone

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !.............................http://www.mp3.com/joffa

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:56 pm

Great work from Joffa and the gang last week!
I was on level 1 - aisle 47 and it sounded great (well i was next to the squad, but still...), and on the replay it sounded bloody marvellous!!
Great work guys!
Lets keep it up!
This IS a winner!!

Who loves ya Presti?
WE DO!
Lets Go Elvis Preslygiacomo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: