Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Age: Buckley not fazed about form

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:44 am
Post subject: The Age: Buckley not fazed about formReply with quote

Buckley not fazed about form
By Chloe Saltau
July 3 2002

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/02/1023864732705.html

Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley was a popular figure with the kids at yesterday's clinic at McHale Stadium.

Picture: WAYNE TAYLOR

Nathan Buckley, a man accustomed to performing at the highest standard, yesterday admitted his form in recent weeks had been simply "average". But he said that was of little concern to anyone at Collingwood, least of all himself.

The Magpie captain said his teammates had developed to the point where they were carrying more of the load he once shouldered.

"It's probably the fact we've got a more even performance across the board, I'm not called upon as often to do as much," Buckley said.

"I'm not saying that's the reason I'm not performing as well. I'm not playing as well as I normally do, but that's not a focus, and not a concern for the club."

After Saturday night's victory over the Kangaroos in which Buckley amassed 18 possessions on Adam Simpson, Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse said there was nothing wrong with the skipper, and that his role was more important to the Magpies now than when Malthouse arrived at Victoria Park in 2000.

Despite the suggestions of a form slump, Buckley is still averaging 16 kicks and six handballs a game this year.

Having already quashed suggestions that he was still suffering the effects of a knee jarred on Anzac Day, Buckley yesterday insisted the rumour that he had been carrying the groin complaint osteitis pubis was "way off the mark".

"I don't know how many times I have to say that (I'm fit). My form is one thing, and that's always interesting how that's focused on." Buckley said.

"I reckon there's just so many positives about our performance that it wouldn't be right to be focusing on my average form."

Buckley, who parted a sea of kids clad in Magpie jumpers at a "Buckley's Brigade" clinic at McHale Stadium yesterday and signed hundreds of autographs, echoed Malthouse's frustration at lingering perceptions of Collingwood as a one-man team.

"I reckon it's been a myth anyway, because we haven't won games despite what I've done in the past, so successful teams show that you can't rely on one or two blokes," he said.

Sunday's match against Adelaide at Football Park - where the Magpies will try to post their first interstate win of the season after being unbeatable interstate last year - could prove a difficult game in which to rediscover his customary brilliance.

Collingwood, which has won nine games and sits third on the ladder behind Port Adelaide and Brisbane, faltered against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval in round 12, when Buckley was admirably contained by Matthew Carr. It is the only Victorian team in the top four.

"Our strength this year has been to be able to counter the opposition's strengths. Adelaide have been very good, they're the No. 1 inside-50 team, so we'd look at somehow trying to counter that," Buckley said.

"It's pretty difficult because they're pretty consistent through the midfield, so it takes a fairly consistent effort in the midfield and probably forward, putting pressure on defenders, to be able to do the job.

"That's the challenge ahead of us."

JDF

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 03 July 2002).]
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounded pretty fazed on roadio after the game. he was quite down on his form. He is a very harsh judge of himself.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:26 am

Bucks has always been the hardest judge on himself. I tell the media something though. If Bucks doesn't get a stat on GF day and we still win then I don't care. We are 9-4 with him out of form...lookout competition when he gets back in form - and i say "when" not if.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:39 pm

Bucks is playing a different game to 2 years ago, even last year. he's a kcik behind, accepting the handball, playin goff the backline, he's not in and under 20 handballs a game player. Having said that, I think his form is down simply by the fact that his disposal isn't as effective as it used to be. Ususlaly players like Bucks play themselves back into form pretty quickly, so I wouldn't be worried.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: