Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you find odd today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
nasty, selfish, aggressive & violent individuals that appear to operate on self interest when in crisis resulting in a utter lack of any sense of other.

You are in the wrong thread. Go to the post-election thread if you want to talk about Abbott.

watt price tully wrote:
Anti social personalities & borderline personality disorder in crisis

Still in the wrong thread. Rudd doesn't belong here either.

Lol thanks for that. I've had a cnut of a morning I needed that laugh

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Then again, I often get to see the worst in people at times i.e, a skewed sample

Exactly. Which is why the rest of what you posted is actually kind of offensive. .....

With respect it is my professionsal experience & you highlighted my qualification of using that expample Rolling Eyes . I did not suggest, state or imply this is a true representation indeed that is why I noted the sample is skewed in the first place. Rolling Eyes

The other part you left out was that I also think it would be very sad to be transgender.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The other part you left out was that I also think it would be very sad to be transgender.

Possibly, but it'd be considerably less so if we were able to reduce the discrimination and bullying that many of them deal with. Otherwise, what's there to be sad about? If we were to recognise the condition early, operate as soon as possible and let them go their way as accepted and respected members of society, there would be no reason to think that it's such a disastrous condition to have.

watt price tully wrote:
David, I know very little about transgender. For me it would be very sad for any person to have this.

What I do know is that in my line of work the few I've met have shown themselves to be nasty, selfish, aggressive & violent individuals that appear to operate on self interest when in crisis resulting in a utter lack of any sense of other. Anti social personalities & borderline personality disorder in crisis.

I know staff who have been the victims of their anger or perfectly innocent bystanders become entrapped in their cycle of their so called maladaptive responses to perceived stress. The problem staff in emergency departments have is that the police are too often unwilling or tardy in charging people for assault, running out onto the street & throwing themselves on a slow moving vehicle feigning injury or even sustaining some light injuries.

Then again, I often get to see the worst in people at times i.e, a skewed sample - then there's the patients Wink Wink

I don't know enough about transgender per se to provide an informed comment.

I might ask The Mad Misogynist Miners Monk his views on the matter though Wink

I don't want to pick fights over this, but if you read your post again with the terms "Aboriginal people" or "Lesbians" inserted instead of "transgender people" you'd understand why I was put out. I understand that this is your professional experience and that you added the caveat down the bottom, but think about it: what message does your post convey about transgender people? What were you trying to convey? What would somebody who doesn't know much about transsexuality take home from reading it? I just think we need to be a little more thoughtful about the way we talk about some of these things.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Isn't there already a thread about this stuff? I'm sure I've said before I'm borderline transgender, I'm a lesbian in a mans body. Wink
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 pm

If these feminists were more concerned with actual women's oppression like the following from Saudi Arabia I'd be far more inclined to support them. As it stands though egalitarianism, sexual politics and misandry are all we get.

http://rt.com/news/woman-arrest-driving-saudi-164/

Bit scary to head to The Kingdom of Saud and take on militant Islam isn't it? That's what a true freedom fighter would do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Is this near the Emirates place we get our major sponsor from?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 pm

1061 wrote:

Shhhh Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Wokko wrote:
If these feminists were more concerned with actual women's oppression like the following from Saudi Arabia I'd be far more inclined to support them. As it stands though egalitarianism, sexual politics and misandry are all we get.

Bit scary to head to The Kingdom of Saud and take on militant Islam isn't it? That's what a true freedom fighter would do.

How do you know they are not providing support?

There are a lot of feminist movements throughout the Middle East. - It's just in Saudi Arabia they need to ask permission of their husbands & clerics to drive them around Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 am

watt price tully wrote:
1061 wrote:

Shhhh Wink

In like Shhhharia Law?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:33 am

Wokko wrote:

You might be surprised. I was watching a Sheila Jeffreys lecture on YouTube this morning and she was talking about '70s American feminist writer Kate Millett. I found this on the latter's Wikipedia page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Millett

Quote:
In 1979, Millett went to Iran to work for women's rights, was soon deported, and wrote about the experience in Going to Iran.

That may not be the norm, but it's fair enough that people try to work within their sphere of influence. Would you criticise people who lobby for, say, the homeless here as opposed to the starving in Burundi? Or those who fight against Internet censorship in Australia in the knowledge that uttering the phrase 'free speech' in North Korea would likely get someone in front of a firing squad? I don't disagree that we need to have a bit of perspective, but the fact that things are much worse elsewhere isn't going to stop me from fighting for what I believe in here. You and I can say what we like about political issues in developing countries, but we stand much better chance of helping change things at home.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 am

the number one. then again i find it odd every day.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 am

David wrote:

That may not be the norm, but it's fair enough that people try to work within their sphere of influence. Would you criticise people who lobby for, say, the homeless here as opposed to the starving in Burundi? Or those who fight against Internet censorship in Australia in the knowledge that uttering the phrase 'free speech' in North Korea would likely get someone in front of a firing squad? I don't disagree that we need to have a bit of perspective, but the fact that things are much worse elsewhere isn't going to stop me from fighting for what I believe in here. You and I can say what we like about political issues in developing countries, but we stand much better chance of helping change things at home.

David that is a brilliant paragraph. Apart from being 110% true, it's really easy to read.

( I get bamboozled by the terminology here sometimes, too much like an English class!)

Everyone is worth fighting for. And everyone can chose their cause. Are some more worthy? Who is too determine that?

Anyone campaigning for the rights of others, good on them. It's better than doing nothing.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 pm

What Jo said
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 pm

I never really get surprised at people anymore, but one thing I always fond odd is how adults, who have been able to hold down jobs for years, raise families, deal with all the stuff that comes with raising kids to adulthood., yet can have no coping mechanism for change, take in only part of the information, twist it in their head and come to a conclusion totally different to what they've just been told and then get upset and indignant at that false premise.

I accept it, I've seen it so many times, but I still find it odd

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm

^ you been trying to converse with Medical staff - take my advice buy a punching bag and shiploads of booze Razz

Works for me .........

Sort of Wink Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 63 of 84   

Jump to: