Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you find odd today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unbelievable.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Unbelievable but not odd
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:01 am

Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Skids wrote:
David wrote:
I don't care how many you think there are, or how many you think I think there are. The statistics are out there if you want to look for them.

Nor do I.

You live in a bubble and stick up for everything that sux, what's wrong with you?

Post of the year right there!!

Yeah, I thought it was one of the board's finer intellectual achievements.

I must admit, I was more impressed with the accuracy of the statement than anything else.

The way I see it, David challenges people's belief systems mostly with reason, intelligence, facts and without getting personal. People like you, skids and many others seem incapable of dealing with it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:35 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Skids wrote:
David wrote:
I don't care how many you think there are, or how many you think I think there are. The statistics are out there if you want to look for them.

Nor do I.

You live in a bubble and stick up for everything that sux, what's wrong with you?

I must admit, I was more impressed with the accuracy of the statement than anything else.

The way I see it, David challenges people's belief systems mostly with reason, intelligence, facts and without getting personal. People like you, skids and many others seem incapable of dealing with it.

Um no, David does sometimes get personal, or rather, superior, condescending, and I find that very grating too. As I always tell him when he does it to me.

But anyway the statement that this is about isn't a personal judgement, it's a question, and I have to admit, I totally agree, David does seem to stick up for the absolute dregs of society, and I know it all goes back to his belief that there is no such thing as free will. I totally disagree, and I think people should take responsibility for their action. Yep there may be mitigating circumstances, but who doesn't have something in their past that could be a mitigating circumstance for some heinous crime? Or as I prefer to call it, an excuse? Excuses are easy to find if you want to look hard enough for them. Wether it's killing someone, acting on urges that infringe on someone else's rights or well being, or yes, even just being over weight.

I'm trying to think of a time he was more on the victims side, or at least, not looking to excuse the offender. I find it incredulous at times, and yeah I guess even a little admirable to always see the good in everything and everyone, but I also think it's naive and sometimes, downright unfair to the victim.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:54 pm

think positive wrote:
I know it all goes back to his belief that there is no such thing as free will.

That's not actually true. My belief in empathy is informed by the fact that free will is an illusion, but if that were not the case, I would still stand up for the people you refer to as "the dregs of society" just as much. Those "dregs" are still human beings. Someone has to stand up for them.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:03 pm

think positive wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Skids wrote:
David wrote:

Nor do I.

Um no, David does sometimes get personal, or rather, superior, condescending, and I find that very grating too. As I always tell him when he does it to me.

But anyway the statement that this is about isn't a personal judgement, it's a question, and I have to admit, I totally agree, David does seem to stick up for the absolute dregs of society, and I know it all goes back to his belief that there is no such thing as free will. I totally disagree, and I think people should take responsibility for their action. Yep there may be mitigating circumstances, but who doesn't have something in their past that could be a mitigating circumstance for some heinous crime? Or as I prefer to call it, an excuse? Excuses are easy to find if you want to look hard enough for them. Wether it's killing someone, acting on urges that infringe on someone else's rights or well being, or yes, even just being over weight.

I'm trying to think of a time he was more on the victims side, or at least, not looking to excuse the offender. I find it incredulous at times, and yeah I guess even a little admirable to always see the good in everything and everyone, but I also think it's naive and sometimes, downright unfair to the victim.

I did say "mostly". I think all long time posters on here have got personal at one stage or another, myself included. Regardless, coming across as superior or condescending is not getting personal.

As far as sticking up for "the absolute dregs of society", I'm not so sure. Seems more like questioning the extreme views taken towards the perpetrators. That is in no way dismissing or having little empathy for the victim.

Anyhoo, I'm sure David is capable of sticking up for himself. Way better than I could Smile

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:21 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
I know it all goes back to his belief that there is no such thing as free will.

That's not actually true. My belief in empathy is informed by the fact that free will is an illusion, but if that were not the case, I would still stand up for the people you refer to as "the dregs of society" just as much. Those "dregs" are still human beings. Someone has to stand up for them.

Hehe I knew you'd bite that comment, fair enough, cheers

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Quote:
THEY love walks on the beach and candlelit dinners. They’re sensitive, single and looking for love. But there’s just one problem for these lonely bachelors and bachelorettes: they won’t be released from prison for years.

Male and female inmates from all over the world, including Australia, are searching for romance online.

The websites they’re using read like e-Harmony or Tinder and the profiles are full of useful information including their measurements, hobbies, Department of Corrections identification numbers and “earliest release dates”.

But there’s a dangerous side, too. Meet-an-Inmate.com warns users it holds no responsibility for “costs” or “damages” incurred by taking a chance on love with a convicted criminal.

LONELY AND LOCKED UP

The process is simple at Meet-an-Inmate.com where lonely inmates seek “pen pals”.

Why? Why would someone go deliberately looking for a prisoner for love?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/prison-inmates-advertise-their-measurements-hobbies-earliest-release-dates-on-dating-websites/story-fnjwnzap-1227295663718

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Hmm... went to that website, and it appears to be a pen pal service for prisoners to connect to the outside world (I remember a Norwegian movie about some teenage girls using a site like this as part of a school project)—quite a laudable idea, actually. The website says on the front page "we recommend and promote using this site to find pen pals for friendships, and not romantic relationships." Still, not like the Herald Sun to misrepresent something.

Having said that, there is this website:

http://loveaprisoner.com/

One presumes they mean "platonic love", but who knows? Shocked

Last edited by David on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Still how long? I think it could be like the Herald Sun to misrepresent something.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
THEY love walks on the beach and candlelit dinners. They’re sensitive, single and looking for love. But there’s just one problem for these lonely bachelors and bachelorettes: they won’t be released from prison for years.

Male and female inmates from all over the world, including Australia, are searching for romance online.

The websites they’re using read like e-Harmony or Tinder and the profiles are full of useful information including their measurements, hobbies, Department of Corrections identification numbers and “earliest release dates”.

But there’s a dangerous side, too. Meet-an-Inmate.com warns users it holds no responsibility for “costs” or “damages” incurred by taking a chance on love with a convicted criminal.

LONELY AND LOCKED UP

The process is simple at Meet-an-Inmate.com where lonely inmates seek “pen pals”.

Why? Why would someone go deliberately looking for a prisoner for love?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/prison-inmates-advertise-their-measurements-hobbies-earliest-release-dates-on-dating-websites/story-fnjwnzap-1227295663718

It couldn't be crazy as demonstrated by the article below about Charles Manson and why his fiancee wanted to marry him allegedly Shocked

http://nypost.com/2015/02/08/charles-mansons-fiancee-wanted-to-marry-him-for-his-corpse-source/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:24 am

Like there isn't enough fucktards outside of jail you need to find one inside, sheesh

As for Manson, poor boy got duped hey? Should have been dead long ago, now there's a good use for a few grams of lead

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:34 am

David.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:26 am

Manson should at 80 as a pathetic individual be promised release and never get it. He can get married, to Susan Peacock.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David.

The thread title says "today", not "every day". Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 71 of 84   

Jump to: