Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you find odd today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
1061 wrote:
People's reaction to Robin Williams death.

Really? I don't find it particularly strange that the suicide of a popular actor should provoke response. What have you found odd about it?

Well look at TP's rather typically aggressive response to those 6 words, rather odd when many unknown people commit this act daily.

Last night channel 10 showed Mrs Doubtfire under the camouflage of a "tribute to Robin Williams", now I didn't watch it but did they show it commercial free or if not will they donate all moneys from the advertisements to Lifeline or some such?

The news services are still running with this as their lead story, between the ads.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:25 am

1061 wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:

Really? I don't find it particularly strange that the suicide of a popular actor should provoke response. What have you found odd about it?

Well look at TP's rather typically aggressive response to those 6 words, rather odd when many unknown people commit this act daily.

Last night channel 10 showed Mrs Doubtfire under the camouflage of a "tribute to Robin Williams", now I didn't watch it but did they show it commercial free or if not will they donate all moneys from the advertisements to Lifeline or some such?

The news services are still running with this as their lead story, between the ads.

There we have it the WTF!

You think That's an aggressive reaction?!

Oh honey you don't ever want to get in a fight with me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 am

think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:

Your right I don't, I don't want to ever get in a fight with anyone.

If you don't see your writing as aggressive that maybe because you're the writer. Perhaps you didn't mean it to be as aggressive as it reads or perhaps I am reading too passively and read it as more aggressive than you meant. Different eyes read things differently, I think from reading your stuff that is a hard concept for you to get your head around. Sorry you have trouble accepting others read what you write differently to how you wrote it, but being sorry for you doesn't change the facts.

Oh and "honey" you call that a knife Rolling Eyes
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:43 am

1061 wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:

No doubt that his death is being exploited for commercial gain, and that "public grief" is a curious phenomenon. But to me it seems obvious why people are far more affected by Williams's death than that of some guy down the street: it's just a function of the same culture that sees people identify with famous actors and celebrities, or at least admire them for their talent. It is what it is.

If you really want an alarming phenomenon, the media obsession with "the royal baby" was far more perplexing/disturbing.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 pm

"The Royal Baby" as you put it is going to be your king some day, so the interest is warranted.

As for Williams, he has created an emotional response in some way to anyone who has seen his work, it's only natural to have another emotional response to the news he's passed away. Even if it's selfish regret that he'll never make another film or make you laugh again.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Wokko wrote:
"The Royal Baby" as you put it is going to be your king some day, so the interest is warranted.

You really think that? I mean, I know it seems the republic debate has hit a bit of an impasse for now, but you really think we'll still be subjects of a British monarch in 60+ years (or however long it takes for Wills to die)? Shocked

Honestly, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the British monarchy itself is dead by then.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 pm

1061 wrote:
think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:

Your right I don't, I don't want to ever get in a fight with anyone.

If you don't see your writing as aggressive that maybe because you're the writer. Perhaps you didn't mean it to be as aggressive as it reads or perhaps I am reading too passively and read it as more aggressive than you meant. Different eyes read things differently, I think from reading your stuff that is a hard concept for you to get your head around. Sorry you have trouble accepting others read what you write differently to how you wrote it, but being sorry for you doesn't change the facts.

Oh and "honey" you call that a knife Rolling Eyes

Confused Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

You really think that? I mean, I know it seems the republic debate has hit a bit of an impasse for now, but you really think we'll still be subjects of a British monarch in 60+ years (or however long it takes for Wills to die)? Shocked

Honestly, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the British monarchy itself is dead by then.

The two groups least likely to be republican are the old and the young, the support for it peaked with Gen X and Howard had the vote on it that failed. I'd say it's at least 40 years before the topic comes up again in this country, if at all (that's two generations). Even then it's only if the next two generations go republican, then you've got the Monarchists as the elderly and that's it.

There is surprisingly little sentiment for a republic outside of inner city trendies.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

since they killed Diana, I'm not really fussed.

I do like Will and his family, but Charles and his horse faced slut has just ruined the mystique for me

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

The two groups least likely to be republican are the old and the young, the support for it peaked with Gen X and Howard had the vote on it that failed. I'd say it's at least 40 years before the topic comes up again in this country, if at all (that's two generations). Even then it's only if the next two generations go republican, then you've got the Monarchists as the elderly and that's it.

There is surprisingly little sentiment for a republic outside of inner city trendies.

I remember hearing recently that support for Australia to become a republic has declined since the 1999 referendum.

Personally I'm against a change when the current system is fine as it is and to be honest I'm quite indifferent to the royal family to start off with anyway.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

There doesn't really need to be a massive groundswell of support, though. If any government decides to hold a referendum on the issue—and that could be as soon as the next Labor government—it only needs 50% of the population to shrug their shoulders and say "yeah, ok". Perhaps I'm a bit cloistered here in inner north Melbourne, but I can't see a massive barrier to that beyond the blue rinse Woman's Day-reading set.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:47 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

There doesn't really need to be a massive groundswell of support, though. If any government decides to hold a referendum on the issue—and that could be as soon as the next Labor government—it only needs 50% of the population to shrug their shoulders and say "yeah, ok". Perhaps I'm a bit cloistered here in inner north Melbourne, but I can't see a massive barrier to that beyond the blue rinse Woman's Day-reading set.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/republican-cause-takes-heavy-knock-in-poll-20140201-31u1a.html

Well beyond just the oldies. 39% support for a republic. At the moment, it's no chance.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Yet, from the article, 19% are undecided. Only need about half of those to vote yes and you've got a majority. Better odds than Scottish independence, that's for sure!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 pm

David wrote:
^ There doesn't really need to be a massive groundswell of support, though. If any government decides to hold a referendum on the issue—and that could be as soon as the next Labor government—it only needs 50% of the population to shrug their shoulders and say "yeah, ok". Perhaps I'm a bit cloistered here in inner north Melbourne, but I can't see a massive barrier to that beyond the blue rinse Woman's Day-reading set.

You're right to an extent David but it's not necessarily as simple as needing 50% of the population to pass a referendum in Australia. For a referendum to pass in Australia under section 128 of the Constitution it needs a double majority which includes:
- A majority in the country as a whole (as you've specified)
- A majority in at least 4 out 6 states in Australia

If both elements cannot be achieved then a referendum cannot pass. This is the reason why many referendums fail to materialise further than some may anticipate. In Australia 44 referendums have been held and only eight have been carried through. This just demonstrates the difficulty of a referendum passing.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/republican-movement-wanes-amid-royal-revival-20140415-zqv05.html

This article also states that Australia's support for a Republic has fallen to its lowest in three decades.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I promise you, unless David and I are somehow merging in an alternate universe, I aint no inner city trendy but I am very much a republican.

For mine, the biggest problem with the concept of being republican is that no bastard can agree on the model. No One seems to like the US model, but trying to keep what we have while ditching the poms is harder than it seems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 68 of 84   

Jump to: