Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

two more steps...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:13 pm
Post subject: two more steps...Reply with quote

we all know that we've taken some might big steps this year, and improved OUT OF SIGHT! the win against Brisbane proved that we can be up there with the best of them.

However, I reckon we've got two more "steps" to go.

We need to beat teams like Port, Freo and Adelaide at their home grounds, that's one step. We need to show we can play both home and away - something Brisbane is struggling to do atm.

We also need to make a mockery of teams like Sydney and , this week, Melbourne. We should be demolishing these teams like they were yesterdays bread, but playing football. They are nothing compared to teh way we played in round 8.

We have the chance to do both of these feats in the next four weeks - already pointed out as crucial - which happen to be the boggie month of June.

the loss to port proved that we aren't consistent (which we knew anyway) if we had've played like we did the week before we would've creamed them. So we need to get that consistency, first at home and then away, to prove that we're up there with the best of them, as our ladder position suggests.

So here's the challenge. Beat Melbounre by more that 50 points, on a dry day, great conditions, let's have the match over by three quarter time. We know we can - let's show everyone else the dange will we pose in September!!

GO PIES!!

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa browny. settle down mate. not sure you are giving enough credit to melbourne - theyre not gonna just turn up to let us steamroll them. our record on the queens b'day monday is nothing short of shocking. something like one win since 1988 and that was only last year. melbourne always play well against us. this is not a cakewalk game by any stretch. i'll be happy with a win of any margin - if we get the 4 points against the dees it will automatically mean we've played well. as for the freo shockers, they have clearly improved and are incredibly tough at home. not sure what youre on about with the port game. 'the loss to port proved we aren't consistent' ??? yes they gave us the slip early on and it probably cost us the game but i thought we played well from then on in. need to remember port are a top 4 side, playing at home and we had one bloke on the bench for much of the game. the season so far has been fantastic but its pointless and unreasonable to expect us to pummell every side we play. its a young side... we'll win some big games(dons, brissy), we'll lose some big games(filth) and unfortunately but naturally we'll get thumped on occassion. enjoy the success but dont expect too much. the REAL collingwood is 2 years away.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:22 am

i wouldnt be getting my hopes up about playing dry footy on monday.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:15 pm

I think I may have been a bit overjealous in that post - but I still reckon there is not reason we can't make some more improvments right away.

And I don't rate melbourne - they aren't as good as their ladder place suggests IMO. And they don't stack up well against us, although with nicky and jarrod out it'll be easier for them.

Hollywood Sly 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:56 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa - think you're harsh in rating us inconsistent due to the loss against Port. That loss came after 5 wins against credible opposition in Essendon (pre-injuries), the Doggies and Brisbane. The only two atrocities were the Saints and Hawks, and you never know what you'll get with the Hawks on any given day.

Last year we won all three of our interstate-assignments, beating both Port and Adelaide (both Finalists) and Freo (might've been shite, but always tougher at home, and we weren't playing that well).

I agree there has to be a consistency, but more in a game itself. The Swans never should've gotten as close as they did, and I agree that we should beat Melbourne comprehensively, instead of letting it turning into a slog.

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.
Don’t believe the Facts until you’ve read the Rants!

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:58 am

and the kangaroos at manuka. 4 from 4

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:20 am

Thanks, ramjet, forgot about that one - we're actually the only team to defeat Kangaroos at Manuka.

S.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:56 pm

It's not just the Port game why we're inconsistent - think about how well we played against Brissy and Essendon, then how we played against West Coast, Bulldogs, Sydney, etc which we won, and tehn the dismal perfomance against the Blues. It IS inconsistant, but at least we're winning inconsistant, unlike last year.

Hollywood Sly 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:00 pm

On that facet I totally agree and have written about in the past (and will no doubt again in the future). But it's a sign of our improvement to play crappy and still win.

S.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:20 pm

definately - someone wrote earlier it's the same as last year, but we're winning the close ones. that's the sign of a good side

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:15 pm

Someone made a point that we are playing tight football, and that makes it difficult to have runaway wins. But we have beaten or held some pretty good sides who in turn have managed to absolutely cream other good sides.

I think that we are one or two years off being a powerhouse. Our youngsters all show huge promise but take it in turns to have great games.

When they start having great games 3 out of 4, then I think we have fully arrived. But there's no doubt we are developing quicker than I expected.

The inclusion of Cloke and McGough has made a big difference while some of our last year's first timers are still trying to rediscover fitness, form and consistency.

Every week adds to our development and you never know, maybe in ten weeks we will be there and gelling at the right time.

I would like a couple of our important players to get properly fixed so that when the finals come they are able to be at their best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: