Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Memories of the fire/brawl against the Bombers at Vic Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountains Magpie wrote:
I love the history of our great club but you can't buy that stuff in books Magpie Greg. Sensational reading !!!

Please sir, can we have some more ??

Magpie Greg, here's two book ideas that I reckon you could carry out. They would add immeasurably to our club's wonderful history and fans (including me) would snap them up.

1. A book describing the year we had in 1970, round-by-round - the best side by a long way, playing modern football with real skill, leading up to the tragedy of the GF. There's been a book by Martin Flanagan on the 1970 GF (out of print), but nothing on that year of Magpie excellence.

2. The Hafey Years - I think most would agree old Tommy was hard done by in getting the sack. I mean anyone who to takes an ordinary football team (remember we won the dreaded Spoon in 1976) to five consecutive GFs must have been doing something right. The drawn GF in 1977 had so much drama (Carmen's suspension, Twiggy's mark!), and the cheating scum Harms who conned the boundary ump into calling a ball in from the Members Stand to pinch the 1979 flag - is that the biggest injustice in footy history?

Drama, action, intrigue from the greatest club of all. Magpie Greg. Write the books and we will buy them! Wink

Fabulous Phil Carmen (pictured below) was the best player in the VFL in the mid-seventies. But his suspension in the lead-up to the 1977 GF almost certainly gifted a flag to the luckiest bastard ever to coach a football team (Ronald Dale Barassi). How else can you describe Barassi after the luck he had in the 1970 GF when Peter McKenna (who had been starring) was accidentally knocked senseless by one of our own blokes, leading to the awful Scum comeback. You can see why I hate the Carlton Scum-bags and anyone associated with them - they spoiled my youth!!!! Twisted Evil

FabulousPhil_M.jpg

fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks for that RudeBoy.

MagpieGreg, you've got a keen eye for story-telling, I 2nd that!

Your keen memory, researching, the energy you have for this sort of thing, a feel for the stories that should be told, surely can go further.

How about having a think about posters remarks and their suggestions.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 am

GOLD post Greg!
magpie greg wrote:
I put 20 Electrifying Hits on the stereo listening to Elton John singing Country Comfort and Country Radio singing Gypsy Queen...

Gypsy Queen by Greg Quill & Country Radio is THE most underated Australian song EVER recorderd, IMHO.
magpie greg wrote:
It was one of the loudest roars I have heard which was equalled again the day Starcevich kicked 2 goals in 2 minutes in the last quarter against Carlton at the MCG in 1988.

Correction Captain Almanac - 3 goals in 3 minutes! Don't make me make you watch the tape again!!

frankiboy [as Betty-Bag] wrote:
Remember it fondly, I'd just turned 46. Charles' ears were just beginning to sprout

Ah, go play with your corgi's Betty, y'old bag. Couldn't you have drowned Chuck in the bath, or did those trophy-handle ears give him unnatural bouyancy, like Lexcen's winged keil on Australia 2 in 1983?

dyso

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 am

Yesireeee Dyso good call mate. I still get confused who is who. Is it Prince Charles or is that the FA Cup?

fa cup.jpg

charles.jpg

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I was talking to my old friend Kim the other day and she has always claimed that she was the culprit that lit the floggers on fire at this game.
I have no doubt that there are others out there who would claim this infamous honour.
Anyway this thread is a good read if only for Magpie Greg's description of the game.

TopGun Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:51 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:
fence-banger wrote:
I was there, yeah! remember the day fondly!

I was out on the ground holding our Run-thru, waiting for our boys to come-out, when a dons cheer squad member ran through it.

Some of us chased him and I got to him just as he was being pulled over the fence by his rotten cheer squad mates behind the Outer goals.

As they dragged him over, his back was exposed.........

I sometimes wonder whether the train track marks left from my 10 fingernails are still there ~ tattooed for life, for his stupidity! Hope so! haha

I was there too, pretty frightening for a 14year old cheer squad member. Wasn't on the ground, (too young or not enough muscles?) Was a great Victory, and Magpies Greg, that was a great read as usual!

On the eve of the return Match 11 weeks later at Essendon, the whole Windy Hill ground was in Lockdown due to a fire threat, just can't trust those Essendon supporters!

I think that you might have been sitting next to me (or on my knee) Kaylene

Mark (Debby's cousin)
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Has any other player ever kicked 7 goals in a single quarter as McKenna did that day in the 3rd?

Other than that, my main memory is of the hundreds of people who climbed on to the roof of the stands with their legs dangling over the edge. It was certainly the biggest crowd ever packed into Vic Park - 44,000 in a venue with an official capacity of around 24,000. One of the greatest days of my life.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

A lady offerred me a spare seat so I could see as her daughter was having a baby. I was 10. A kid in a bummers jumper hopped onto a pie stand and was wacked by a ab elderlty lady in the front row of the Sherrin stand and be fell off and that sparked a bitches fight that the cops refused to deal with, The trains were so packed at Vic Park that windows were breaking.Some moron opened an outward opening door at Flinders street and mowed 3 people down including an old bloke who was carted off in an ambulance whilst the essendon idjit got a few smacks before the coppers arrived and dragged him off to Russell Street
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Brilliant as always MG

I note that as per usual the Greening / O'Dea incident got a mention.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Has any other player ever kicked 7 goals in a single quarter as McKenna did that day in the 3rd?

Other than that, my main memory is of the hundreds of people who climbed on to the roof of the stands with their legs dangling over the edge. It was certainly the biggest crowd ever packed into Vic Park - 44,000 in a venue with an official capacity of around 24,000. One of the greatest days of my life.

I believe that Harry Davie, Gordon Coventry, Bob Pratt and Kelvin Templeton all kicked 8 in a quarter at least once.

Scott Lucas kicked 7 in a last quarter once against the Wiggles in Perth (but, hilariously, the Bumblers still lost).

Stepping outside the AFL/VFL, we get this list:

12 – (Q3) – Bernie Naylor (South Fremantle) v Subiaco in 1953
(Q4) – Harold Jones (Brunswick) v Oakleigh in 1939
11 – (Q4) – George Gough (Northcote) v Prahran in 1924
10 – (Q4) – Peter Schofield (Moorabbin) v Sandringham in 1954
(Q3) – Bonny Campbell (Western Australia) v Queensland in 1924

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/Mosts.html
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I believe that Harry Davie, Gordon Coventry, Bob Pratt and Kelvin Templeton all kicked 8 in a quarter at least once.

Scott Lucas kicked 7 in a last quarter once against the Wiggles in Perth (but, hilariously, the Bumblers still lost).

Stepping outside the AFL/VFL, we get this list:

12 – (Q3) – Bernie Naylor (South Fremantle) v Subiaco in 1953
(Q4) – Harold Jones (Brunswick) v Oakleigh in 1939
11 – (Q4) – George Gough (Northcote) v Prahran in 1924
10 – (Q4) – Peter Schofield (Moorabbin) v Sandringham in 1954
(Q3) – Bonny Campbell (Western Australia) v Queensland in 1924

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/Mosts.html

I saw Ty Zantuck kick 13 in a half of footy for the zillmere Eagles v MT Gravatt in around 2005/06. He was playing fullback in the first half and the MT Gravatt side had got away to around a 8 lead at half time. Daryl White (yes the lions one) had been running a mock across HF. Wayne Brittain moved him to FF in then2nd he kicked 13/3 took 19 marks and the eagles got home by 6 goals in the end
Zantuck also kicked around 9 or 10 in the GF that year and had 2 opponents on him including Ben McEntee from southport who was the leading goal kicker for the comp for the season. Zantuck nearly single handed won the Eagles the game. Danny Dickfos had around 40 off half back as well
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Ha, oh the memories, I was a young dude at that game, flairs, RM Williams rodeo boots, buffalo bill jacket, cravat, pirate belt, full bit. LOL. I was with my mates at the Dons cheersquad end, and a cheeky young guy near us, sneaked down to their floggers, and set em on fire. !! All of a sudden, Whoooosh, the flames roared up, and the capacity crowd parted like moses and the red sea. Man, it was bloody chaos, the buring floggers were tossed onto the oval, and the whole game had to stop pronto. I recall our player, Con Britt, dragging a flaming flogger out of the goal square, and blue coated old blokes running around like headless chooks. LOL. It was a grand day, we smashed the Dons, stuck it up Tuddy, and went home walking on air. ! Dear ol Vic Park, those were truly grand, grand days. !!!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
partypie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I was there with my family in the stand behind the goals. I saw the essendon supporter run through our banner which said Bomb out bummers and had a picture of a plane crashing. There were people everywhere, on top of roofs and stalls ... At the time I had just managed to leave Essendon High and go to a less violent high school and really disliked Essendon and their supporters. I recall the state government started talking about putting barbed wire barriers around the grounds to prevent crowd misbehaviour. It was shocking to see Tuddy in an Essendon jumper
duke750 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 am

I wasn't at that game but I did go to Windy Hill for the return game. Tuddy was The Messiah at ESS that year.

I do remember Windy Hill being the worst suburban ground to go to. Ess supporters were very feral, and would often direct their vitriol towards their own players.

We certainly used to attract huge crowds. I was at Waverley when we played Hawthorn in a home-away game when over 91,000 turned up. Parking and entry was chaos, but fortunately rode my bike right up to the gate. My parents often spoke about 100,000+ at the G for a home-away clash with Melb in 56. People sitting on the Southern Stand roof, standing on beer cans for a better view etc.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 am

Some terrific stories on this thread.

I was born in the wrong era.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: