Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Licuria

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:32 am
Post subject: LicuriaReply with quote

Don't get me wrong I bleed black and white, but unlike most supporters I don't think that anyone who pulls on a black and white jumper is automatically a champion. I watched Paul Licuria give away 3 goals on Saturday night. His disposal is pathetic and has been for years. When is someone at the club going to address this problem. Yes he gets a lot of the ball, but he gives most of his possions away with stupid turn overs that cost us big time.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I was pretty dissapointed with his kicking the other night. It was disgraceful. Sure enough he got alot of the ball but you have to something with it. After kicking alot better last year it seems he has gone back to kicking it to the opposition this year.

Seems he is becoming the 'Turnover King'.

JDF
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:09 am

last year his disposal was pretty good, unfortunately he just hasn't kept it up. Maybe a few more games will hopefully get him back into form, he's getting a lot of the ball, just kicking poorly. hopefully the coaching staff will have a word to him and fix it up. hopefully.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:38 am

You just have to love the way Licuria goes about his footy. A team is made up of more than flash. Having said that, I find him very frustrating. I don't think his kicking skills are up to AFL standard. If he doesn't have a job on a gun player I would rest him on the bench. He turns the ball over far too often. He gets it plenty though and can blanket an opposition star. He is value on the list but if he costs us a GF with turnovers like those on Saturday night, all the good work he has done will be worth nothing.

The thing that makes it worse is the fact that players like Johnstone, Cloke, Molloy and a few others have similarly (perhaps not as bad) skills. All are great ball getters but poor users. When you have that many in a side, turnovers are inevitable. While I love the way Johnston has played this year, I fear is time is limited. He is marking time until Adkins and Lonnie return and Didak, Cole & co make thier marks. Steinford has already made way due to his poor disposal. Never was the point better illustrated than when I saw Didak kick the goal that put us in front. I thought back to the Carlton game and the costly turnovers that saw Kinnear in the 2's and misses goals that saw Johnston with him.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 07 June 2002).]
Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:03 am

MarkT, you are spot on with your analysis. I also fear that one day it will cost us either a very important win or worse, a finals appearance.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:16 am

Licca wouldn't be the only bloke in the AFL who gets plenty of the ball but doesn't always dispose of it too well.

He'd have Harvey, Kelly, Ashcroft, McLeod and Campbell for company. Not bad (ok, including Campbell in that group may be going a bit far).

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:21 am

ok. i'm getting a bit sick of having to defend johnson.

MarkT, for god's sake, before you basically crucify a player for being a shit kick, go back and watch the last few matches CLOSELY. please point out how many times johnno has actually turned over the ball via a bad kick. i'd tip maybe twice, or three times, in about 4 matches.

his kicking is GOOD. in fact, at times, it's VERY good. again, i all i ask is that people go and watch every one of johnno's kicks CLOSELY. just because he's got a weird style doesn't mean his kicks aren't effective. most of the time they are totally effective.

and i haven't even mentioned his handpassing yet. his hand skills around the packs are superb. again, one can only pick this up by watching games CLOSELY.

i reckon johnno will be a good, consistent player for a long time.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:35 am

licuria DOES dispose of the ball well, just not by foot and esp. on his right side. his handballing skills however are fantastic. his ability to shut down opponents is worth mentioning as well.

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:28 pm

D'Pie - I think it is more on season form than from Saturday night. I admire Licuria's ability to get the ball, it's just the disposal by foot that bothers me. Apart from that he is a fantastic player.

JDF
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:49 pm

I remember two seasons ago wondering why we got this hack OBree who got plenty of the ball but couldn't kcik, he didn't sheperd and basically didn't play for the team. Now he's a gun. In teh space of a season his kicking imporved out of sight, he runs as hard as anyone and he does most of the off the ball things he should.

Give the guys a bit of room I reckon, they're not all the greatest in every aspect of their game, but it can be fixed.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:10 am

I just knew you people where waiting for Lica to have a bad game, so eveyone can start bagging him for his kicking,this season so far he has been in execlent form and 90% of the time his kicks hit the mark, but one bad game and you would have him delisted. If we are going to judge footballers on one game then I think you have to do it across the list, and even Bucks would be in trouble based on last weeks game. I'm sure there will be plenty of kicking practice at trianing this week, becuase if you can take your eyes off the man for a minute and have a look at our whole kicking effort on the weekend I don't think you would be singeling out any one player. 5 goals 9 points in the 1st Quarter you would think those in front of goals would be copping more flak than Lica, who has had 121 kicks for the year to date, and every one of em a clanger? NOT!

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:16 am

I agree magpiemad - we know Lica has had problems with his disposal when kicking but we saw last year how much he improved and what he is capable of. He works damn hard out on the ground and gets a lot of the ball which is fantastic. Every footballer in the AFL is not going to be a Bucks, Hird or Voss (and even they have their bad days) - but as long as guys are out there doing the job the coaching staff give them (which we aren't always aware of) - then problem areas can be worked on.

We definitely need to keep our skill level and disposal at a more consistent level but I don't think it's fair just picking out Lica. I'm sure he's aware that his mis-kicks have penalised the team at times and I have no doubt he'll be working harder to minimise his errors - just as the whole team will be.

GO PIES!
Marg

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:26 am

just on johnson.... the pies picked him up on the basis he was a running player who could break lines with accurate, penetrating kicks. his kicking is perhaps his best asset and im surprised so many have jumped on his disposal. i cant honestly think of too many turnovers caused by johnno.... seems he's being crucified for those two missed shots at goal earlier in the year. he's a kid, he was under pressure and he missed. end of story. bucks has been in similar situations this year(and others) and also missed yet doesnt come under the same scrutiny. blame cannot be put on one bloke for the loss to port as we kicked 14 behinds with set shots to rocca, lockyer, freeborn and betheras all going wide but it was buck's shocking kickout from a port behind with 2 mins to play that earned port their final and ultimately winning goal. definately not blaming bucks for the port loss(thought he had a great game) but its interesting that kick was glossed over yet we bag a young kid like johnson for trying to be creative and break a tackle or two for a goal.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:42 am

Licca is one of the fittest and most committed players at the club. He WILL improve his disposal if his hard work and determination have anything to do with it.
He runs tirelessly all day, it's no wonder some of his kicks go astray after he's just sprinted from one end of the ground to the other and back again!

Murray 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:59 am

Thanks everyone for the interesting discussion and comments, I really enjoy this forum.
My final point on the matter is this. Licuria cost us 3 goals against the Swans because of his bad disposal. He has had numerous turn overs all year and in previous years. I do not question his fitnes, determination or commitment. However if his disposal does not improve (particularly on the back line) he will cost us a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: