Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Rising Diplomat !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:24 am
Post subject: The Rising Diplomat !Reply with quote

Congrats to Mark McGough. About bloody time.

"Budding diplomat McGough is latest Rising Star
Francis Leach
afl.com.au
10:14:41 AM Tue 4 June, 2002
It’s the fairy tale story that belongs in another era. A shy schoolboy from the bush comes to the big smoke to have a shot at the big time. In his second game against the arch- enemy from across town he wins a medal that carries the sacred name of ANZAC. All this, and still he had homework to do.
Mark Mc Gough is the kid in question. A young man with the body of a willing warrior, he has been front and centre as the Magpies have surged up the ladder in 2002. His 16 possessions in the win against the Swans on Saturday night capped off what has been a brilliant couple of months for the bloke the fans have already started calling “the mauler from Malwahla.”
And to prove his ANZAC Medal was no fluke he’s also collected the AFL Rising Star nomination for round 10. Saturday night was made all the more satisfying for the young Magpie by Collingwood’s match winning final quarter.
“In the second quarter our work rate dropped off. At three-quarter time we knew we had to come out firing and thankfully we did.”
The Magpies are starting to create genuine Saturday Night Fever with their thrilling victories over Brisbane and Sydney in recent weeks. For youngsters like McGough the experience is priceless. Every game is a chance to prove himself an invaluable member of a team that is shaping up as a contender.
“There’s a real positive feeling around the club. There are lots of guys playing good football at Williamstown (Collingwood’s VFL affiliate) so the pressure is on to keep performing.”
McGough leads a bizarre double life. Whilst the black and white army cry his name in their thousands on the weekend the only name calling he hears Monday to Friday is that of his school teacher during roll call. Whilst footy can take you far, it can’t sit your exams for you. So how does he fit it all in?
“I want to keep other interests outside of football. It helps to take the focus off and concentrate on something else so that you come back feeling refreshed.”
Mc Gough would have already earned himself an A-plus for time management this year. Juggling the commitments of professional football and study is a full time job in itself.
“The club has been very good and worked around my timetable. I have to attend all the main sessions and work school around that. It means I have to miss a couple of team meetings and video sessions and the recovery sessions in Port Philip Bay – which is a good thing with winter approaching.”
So whilst he’s planning the downfall of his opponents on the field mark McGough is considering an academic career dedicated to understanding conflict resolution in global politics.
“I enjoy International studies. We’ve just been looking at the China/ Taiwan dispute and before that it was the cold war. I’d like to continue down that track with my studies,” he said.
Footy could have found itself it’s first diplomat. God knows there’s a few club presidents’ who could use one.
McGough is a striking sight out on the footy field. Unlike other teenagers running around in the AFL he seems to have already built the type of physique required for the grunt work of today’s football.
“I did a lot of weights work with my mates at Yarrawonga High School. We had new gym equipment at school and we really got into it.”
And there’s an uncanny resmblance to a master Magpie magician of years past – the man whose low centre of gravity saw him defy the laws of physics with his goal kicking wizardry – Peter Daicos.
“People at the club mention it a fair bit. Both Alan Didak and I get it. It’s the short legs and long bodies, it’s not the ideal athletic body I guess.”
If you’re an Olympic sprinter, perhaps not. If you’re a leather hungry footballer with a taste for hand-to-hand combat at the bottom of a pack it’s perfect. And that’s why Collingwood people have taken to mark McGough like they have. He’s built to be in the black and white stripes.
“I can’t describe the feeling when a goal is kicked in a tight game and the fans go wild. It sends a shiver down your neck. It’s what makes the game what it is. Collingwood fans are fantastic.”
Could this be the year that Malthouse’s Magpies go all the way? Maybe having a Gough on the team is an omen.
It’s Time."

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done MCG!!! Thoroughly deserved.

JDF
Pants 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:43 am

And in a couple of weeks we'll get a third one for the year when Didak gets nominated!!

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:18 pm

""Budding diplomat McGough is latest Rising Star
Francis Leach
afl.com.au "

Francis Leach is the morning show announcer for ABC radio station Triple J.
He is also a passionate Saints supporter that I have enjoyed E-Mailing on occasions that his team have deserved it!

Nice to see that he can write an impartial article.

-Craig

P.S. GOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMCCCCCCCGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You bloody little beauty!

MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:34 pm

Absolutely Pants!! Didak will follow suit and get the next nomination

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:52 am

Been a pleasure to listen to Francis's transition from JJJ stalwart, to having his own saturday morning footy show on 3LO. Most times I even forgive him for being a Suck Kilda supporter.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:55 am

geez, i didn't even realise he had a show on 3LO! i'll have to tune in this saturday.

he used to have a great column in The Age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: