Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 14 1972 Collingwood v St. Kilda - The Coward's Act

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll never forget!

agreening.jpg

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:24 am

We'll never forget!

aGreeningonstretcher72.jpg

mel_kay39 

PIES PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am

What dirty, dirty mongrels. All I can say is, on the strength of that article and what I've seen of the Aints in recent years, a leopard doesn't change it's spots overnight. Watch your back, boys, and win it for the Johnnies!
fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Moving-on requires all sorts of processes to occur.
In the case of the Somerville/Wright matter, an unwarranted act occurred and the perpetrator was fully held to account.
We move-on.
IMO, in the case of the O'Dea/Greening matter, not so easy to move-on, because justice was not seen to be done.
The villian O'Dea didn't apologise, his Club backed-him; he served a 10week match suspension only, completely inconsistent with the seriousness of the injury sustained by Greening; O'Dea ends-up being hailed one of his Club's all-time Greats.
Greening's life took a terrible battering; he has suffered since and our Club missed-out on one of their own.
To describe the deed as a one-off, is adding insult to injury.
O'Dea had dirty form.
Hence, the victim Greening, struggles to forgive, our Club supporters struggle also.
No, not so easy to move-on.
Oh and as for no-one seeing what happened.....how can that be?
A packed ground and we're to believe that no-one saw it?
Plenty saw it, plenty remember exactly the act.
A chop outside of play, and Greening went down.
Nor can I agree that O'Dea was a victim also, unless being a dirty rotten thug idiot, makes him a victim of himself.

Last edited by fence-banger on Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Similar what Baker did to Farmer last year
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
kickit2me wrote:
Quote:
"Yeah, I've moved on; I've got to move on. Geez, I'm bloody 56, and I was 21 when it happened."

As tragic as the incident was, maybe it is time for us to move on as well.

Well i aint movin on, Sorry but one of our most gifted Magpies was nearly killed on the football field and bugger all justice was dished out..infact St Kilda has somewhat made a hero out of the thug bastard who butchered him..they can all well and truly get stuffed forever and that's putting it mildly!

Well said Joffa! Justice was not done in this case, and why should we forget anyway. Let's unleash hell on them tonight.

BTW I can see you are just a little happy with the UEFA Cup result? Can the Hoops hang on in the league?
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Totally agree with always hate the saints and carlscum! My dad reckons Greening was a total gun, cut down in his prime by a two bit gutlees thug!
Be proud be Collingwood be staunch and kill 'em tonight! And kick straight for godsake!

www.facebook/the hybernators
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:57 pm

jack_spain wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
kickit2me wrote:
Quote:
"Yeah, I've moved on; I've got to move on. Geez, I'm bloody 56, and I was 21 when it happened."

As tragic as the incident was, maybe it is time for us to move on as well.

Well i aint movin on, Sorry but one of our most gifted Magpies was nearly killed on the football field and bugger all justice was dished out..infact St Kilda has somewhat made a hero out of the thug bastard who butchered him..they can all well and truly get stuffed forever and that's putting it mildly!

Well said Joffa! Justice was not done in this case, and why should we forget anyway. Let's unleash hell on them tonight.

BTW I can see you are just a little happy with the UEFA Cup result? Can the Hoops hang on in the league?

We're all praying for the Hoops mate..The huns are a coming But we'll hang on.
Did you see the huns after the loss it was beautiful hahhaha suck shit huns Wink

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Cannibal wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Another Response:
Quote:
Incidentally, whilst Collingwood people continue to demonise O'Dea and the incident none of them ever mention their own player Duncan Wright who happened to be standing next to Essendon's Peter Sommerville at the MCG one day, and didn't see him 'feint' some 80 metres off the ball.

Revealing their total ignorance whilst trying to excuse the inexcuseable. Duncan Wright was promptly sacked by Collingwood for hitting Somerville and never played for the club again.

Now you've got me all worked up. Unlike most/all of those commenting on these events, I was at both games. The two incidents have nothing in common.

Fact 1. Johnny Greening was king hit from behind by a coward thug 30 secs after the game started. it was not provoked and was seemingly premeditated - with many people convinced it was carried out under coach Jeans instructions.

Fact 2. As for the Somerville incident, I was only a young kid (8 yrs old) back in 1965 (I think that was the year) at the MCG at that finals game. Peter Somerville was continually bumping/elbowing Duncan Wright so much so that I can distinctly remember my mum say "if that mongrel doesn't stop elbowing Duncan Wright, Wright will flatten him". About a minute later Peter Somerville was out cold! I'm not saying it was justified, but rather that it was not a coawardly, premeditated, unprovoked act like the one which nearly killed Johnny Greening.

Incidently, I (and many others at the time) thought our club treated Duncan Wright very shabbily over that incident.
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:49 am

Bump, never forget..... A football club is made up of the History that has gone before us.

fire up pies.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
dancambo Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 am

Not sure if this article has been linked on this thread before but..

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-ballad-of-johnny-greening/2007/07/03/1183351210562.html
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:28 pm

I was at that game, a long haired teenager back then. i remeber the incident very well, though like so many i missed it. I followed the ball down our end then looked back and JG was on the ground, flat out.
The crowd went very quiet, and we all knew Johnny was in desperate trouble. He was in a coma for some time, days i think,and was close to death. That bastard Odea, i had one hell of a blue with a workmate on Monday who said Odea was more or less innocent. The arsehole only got 10 weeks, should have got life. I hope it still haunts the prick.
Johnny Greening was my then favourtie Pie, and it is a football tragedy of immense proportions ,and it buggered his life too, he had brain damage, A vile act we must never forget, and whilst i dont blame the present Saints, i hope we kick their arse this week-do it for Johnny guys !!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:45 pm

jack_spain wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
FFS, Collingwood isn't it about time we honored our young champ cut down in his prime by having a medal or award named after him. Come on Eddie make it happen.

Great suggestion Rudeboy!

I'll tell you one thing I have over St Kilda though. My of my first ever games of watching VFL footy was at Victoria Park in 1970. I was only a small kid and Tuddy was my hero. As you know we had a great side that year (the GF that year is too traumatic for me to recount), but the Saints were a tough outfit. At half-time they were nearly 10 goals up and I was in tears. My Dad said, "Come on son, have faith in the boys." Vic park was packed, and the mood was ugly. The boys were having a shocker. But in that second-half we ran the pants off the bastards and got up by about 10 points I think. I was so excited, and from that moment on, there was no doubt part of my heart will always be at old Victoria Park. Very Happy

Jack mate, I was at that game at Vic park, yarra falls end, with some of my mates,all long haired teenagers back then.! We were pretty pissed-you could take esksy in then-but i do rememer the game well. It was an amazing comeback,and i recall wayne richardson kicked the sealer, it put us seven points up with just seconds to go. The ball flew over our heads into Trennery cres,and we all leapt for joy. After the game,back to the Retreat pub,and a few ales to celebrate,then off home to Highett in my ol blue beetle VW, a bit worse for weather.! No .05 laws back then, just young and silly. But yeah, that was a hell of a game at Vic park,by still the best side i have ever seen wear the Pie colours. Wink

nulla 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Was there guys

I have never gotten over witnessing the tragedy

He was a superstar

Agree with Rudeboy as well

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm

magpie greg wrote:
john b wrote:
A friend of a friend of mine said he had seen the incedent. He has a bit of credibility, he is not known to be a s**t talker.

He said if he ever see's O'Dea he'll slill spit in his face, and this is tweenty years on.

His exact words to me was "He karati kicked him in the head, when he wasn't expecting it."

I'm sure that O'Dea will still be feeling crap about it.

But its a sad story for our great club.

It wasnt a kick to the head.

It was a punch to the back of the head that knocked him out before he hit the ground.

He was bleeding from his ear and from his eye as can be seen from the photo.

What he might be mixing up it up with is that after JG was on the ground a St Kilda "champion" touched greening with his foot as if he was an animal to see if he would stir.

I wont mention who that player was, but he was much feted.

Mad Greg mate, that mongrel who boot prodded him was Ross Smith, my od PE and maths teacher at Cheltenham High School. He used to make me run laps of the oval if i forgot my PE stuff,and he picked on me a lot for trying to have long hair at school. The bloody school loved him though, and when he won the brownlow medal, we all had to clap him at the school assembly. I didnt though, because he stirred me up when we lost the 66 Gf, to his Aints. Little prick.Typical saint type player. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: