Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

GO THUCK YOURSELVES PORT ADELAIDE

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadie 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm.

Can't say I found anything really wrong with what Macca posted - I've always been a Voltairean fan when arguments arise. I'm actually more annoyed with those who resort to personal insults rather than the weight of their own arguments.

However, I was p***ed off by the completely off-base defence off Chad Cornes. Cornes showed exactly how immature and insecure he really is by flipping the bird. In definitive response to Macca's suggestion a COllingwood player would do similarly: we had the EXACT sitation against Brisbane, but when the siren went, NONE of our players harassed the Lions who missed shots. IN fact, we did quite the opposite and there were respectful handshakes all around.

Cornes has a problem. And a look at the papers shows it may have been hereditary.

As for the umpiring: all my non-Pie freinds thought it was atrocious and that the Dew (?) decision in front of goal in the last few minutes was an absolute disgrace. But it did not cost us the game. We have to accept blame for the areas of the gaem our players CAN control and should have done better in.

Broadie
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:00 am

I also find the banning of Macca quite extraordinary.

Maybe it would make more sense to just ban him from the site for a week after every Port-Collingwood match ... for his own protection as much as ours. He didn't say anything wrong. It's just a bad time to be a Port barracker on a Collingwood site.

We need to move on now and focus our hatred on the godless red and white hordes from the north. Port will keep for another day.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:08 am

Yep, I agree with both of you Broadie and Alf. We might be acting a little too precious, I feel, in permanently banning Macca (who has always been a bit of a friend to the Collingwood people). He's passionate about Port just as we are about Collingwood, and whilst we don't necessarily have to agree all the time, I don't think he was too out of line - I've read a lot worse from other people who had to go a lot further before they were banned.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:59 am

Is this a Collingwood site or what?

One of the adavantages of having our own place is that we have somewhere to let off steam, particularly after a loss, without having to be worried about being hassled by supporters of other clubs. That's exactly what was happening. We shouldn't have to worry whether or not what we say is fair or even right as far as other clubs go, we just want to get it out. It's an important process and Macca was getting in the way.

I don't know about you, but I wasn't particularly interested in the rights and wrongs of the game from the Port perspective

What actually happened Alf was what you have suggested, Macca was never banned, just turned off for a few days. I didn't tell him that, but then I didn't tell him he was banned either. I have better things to do than make sure that Port supporters are happy with their treatment in here. Pie people get my energy to the exclusion of all the others and that will continue to happen.

My view is that I, or any other moderator, can do whatever we please to supporters of other clubs (within acceptable limits), without fear of repurcussion - it's us against the rest, never forget that.

I acted unilaterally, and shouldn't have, but he was warned and accepted the warning - and then continued regardless, so I switched him off.

neutral_fan 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:59 am

Re Macca and his comments.
I think you are doing the site a grave disservice and potentially hastening its demise by disallowing any contrary view. Surely as a discussion board different opinions are needed to have a discussion and to promote interest.
However, if sycophants only need apply then I can't see much robust discussion happening and it won't last long without it.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:29 am

Nick once had a filth supporter who insisted on repeatedly posting 'Collingwood suck' type of messages in the Guest Book. It wasn't a great problem, Nick just deleted them and he and the poster were the only ones that ever saw them. He then received email from this bloke claiming that his freedom of speech was being compromised and that he intended to continue, which he did for a while - until he (finally) figured out that it was much easier for Nick to delete the messages than it was for him to write them and stopped. Your argument, neutral_fan smacks of much the same twisting of principles.

This site does not disallow contrary views and never has, but supporters of other clubs are not treated equally and there is no apology for that.

I say again, it's a Collingwood site - it's obviously and unashamedly biased.

I take on board your warning that we won't last long, but I'm prepared to take that risk.

These views are mine and mine alone. If the users of the board and the other moderators disagree with me, there is a system in place that allows them to over-rule me.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:46 am

Mike,

I have said before that this site is a little too introspective. I come here because it is Collingwood and devoted to our great club. I like to read what other Collingwood people post. I have great respect and admiration for the passion and efforts of many here. Joffa you are amoung the most loyal and passionate of supporters of any club. It is people like the Nick's posters that kept our club going in the bad times.

Nevertheless, we are not immune to critisism and IMO Macca did little but disagree with what I though was an uncalled for outburst. I have no problem with the post bein put up and left. It is a view of a true Collingwood man. I do have a problem with Macca's banning given the content and context of his post.

I might add, at the risk of alienating myself, that some on here should decide for themselves what they think.

Anyway, that just my opinion for what it's worth.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:52 am

In my view what Macca said may not have been too bad but why bother coming in here to defend a team that we are still coming to terms with being beaten by.
He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and inflaming other people's feelings.
When he started trying to defend himself and kept on quoting what everyone else said, it was degenerating into something like the recent farce with you know who.
In future if you want to come in here at a time when we are all venting our feelings or 'grieving' then keep your mouth shut.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:32 am

Mark, firstly, read my previous post, Macca was never banned, he was booted for a while - and while you're at it re-read the posts by Joffa, Macca and me. Club alliances aside for a minute, Macca was warned, he acknowledged the warning and then disregarded it. What is a moderator to do in this instance? Why have any moderation?

Or let's look at it from another viewpoint:

The situation was degenerating into a brawl and Joffa wasn't helping. There is a point where a moderator steps in and moderates - and that point had arrived. That is evidenced by the fact that there were posts attacking Macca even after he was gone, but he was unable to reply - the situation had been defused. So, if moderation is needed, should it have been Joffa who was asked to settle down? We would then have had the situation of a Port fan arriving in this Collingwood Bulletin Board and being able to influence what is said here by Collingwood people. The whole scenario is ridiculous. If anything was going to kill this BB that would.

Joffa's posts would have been inflammatory if they had been posted on a Port bulletin board, but they weren't, they were posted here, a Collingwood site used by Collingwood fans, and he has every right to say whatever he likes about Port in here without having to justify himself to Port fans.

I'm not actually sure what you are referring to in your second last sentence, but I think you mean that I was protecting Joffa just because it was Joffa. If that's the case you couldn't be more wrong, it wouldn't have mattered which of our people was involved, my response would have been the same. If it's not the case, perhaps you would like to explain.

Macca19 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:49 am

I thought i was banned permanently. Either way, no skin off my nose. I got a few things to say but ill keep my mouth shut.

Cheers
Macca

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:08 am

I enjoy talking footy with opposition supporters but at the same time I enjoy chatting in this BB because it IS Collingwood and I don't have to put up with crap from, and be attacked by, other clubs supporters - especially after a loss.

I’m happy for other supporters to have access and comment here but having a go at Collingwood supporters on a Collingwood site, after a Collingwood loss is just causing trouble.

Thanks for your help Mike.

GO PIES!
Marg

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:04 am

Let me repeat my earlier posting...nearly all Port supporters are ex-Collingwood supporters who love the black and white no matter who they are. When it comes to Port vs Collingwood it's natural that bias will be shown towards Port by SA supporters, but I talk to Port people every day and they discuss the fortunes of Collingwood as much as they talk about Port. I believe Port are our cousins, not our enemies...the Cornes attitude comes from Glenelg

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:12 am

I have a close friend who's a Carlton fanatic, and most of us have partners who support other teams, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a Collingwood place and supporters of other teams have no right to expect to be heard here. It's our right to use this forum, but it's their privilege.

And I think you're looking at the situation through rose coloured glasses Hiya-and-Higher. I get derogatory emails every day from supporters of other clubs with nothing better to do. The emails from Port fans outweigh those from other clubs by two to one.

Here's one of today's offerings:
quote:
u bunch of ****ing magpie pretenders - we're an older club than u, have had
more success than u and yet u get to wear the black and white.

we are the real magpies. not once have u ever finished above us since we
have been in the league. u r a disgrace to the magpie name

and to think we played well for only a qtr fri night and still won.

go the port adelaide MAGPIES!!!!

That email is not unusual - in fact it's typical.

Macca19 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:30 am

that email, altho quite disturbing, is no different to the majority of things written by Joffa & co towards other clubs.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:56 am

Macca, I'm going to reply to this only once.

As I have already pointed out in as many different ways as I can I can think of, Joffa, or any other Collingwood supporter, can say whatever he likes about Port or any other team in here. This is a Collingwood site!

If you are talking about what happens on other web sites, it's none of my concern, it is the concern of whoever runs those other web sites - and I couldn't be less interested.

You're persistence in pursuing this, reminds me of somebody else who also doesn't know when to stop. He's a Collingwood supporter and he is no longer here - I'm not sure why you are.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: