Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Josh's ribbing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pie-no-sauce 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:03 am
Post subject: Josh's ribbingReply with quote

Watching the replay of Josh's severe winding was not a pleasant experience. What is totally surprising to me however is that there was no free kick awareded to CFC.

The Port ruckman raised his knee like a buttress and Josh had absolutely no hope of avoiding it - couldn't even see it with eyes locked on the ball above them.

In all match reports it is reported as an "accidental" incident which I also find totally incoherent. Accident it may have been but surely the player "accidentaly" infringed must also be protected and given his due free kick....

Does anyone know if there is a rule which clearly deals with this type of ruck infringement?

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rule somewhere regarding raising the knees in a ruck duel, but I think it is only enforced against a Collingwood ruckmen.

Being accidental has no bearing on the interpretation. No player accidently tackles an opponent too high, or accidently pushes him in the back, but accident or not, they are still penalised.

What the afl needs is a relegation system for their umpires, much like the rugby league has. A ref missed a blatant offside which resulted in a try, and he has now been dropped. Some of the AFL umps should be dropped and never again promoted.

If the standard of umpiring witnessed at recent Williamstown games is anything to go by, I certainly pity all followers, players and coaching staff.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:31 am

Umpies won't give a free kick for an infringement against a ruck to a Collingwood player.

JDF
pie-no-sauce 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:56 am

I know what you both mean about "CFC not receiving frees" but that is somewhat on the CFC side of the ledger. What about the fact that the commentators didn't say a word about it. QUite frankly I can imagine Eddie bottling up a Fercrikey'sake or two but the font of knowledge Dermy didn't say a word. Josh is a star, was really needed in that game and the injury was bloody brutal - no comments. None from the press either.

Maybe I'm just a little incensed about this but I cannot understand why the "video surveillance police" didn't pick this out. If nothing else it could be discussed to let us know where it lies in terms of legality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: