Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The next 2 games are must wins!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:55 am
Post subject: The next 2 games are must wins!Reply with quote

Almost every season in recent times, we have been declared 'April/May Premiers.'
So we lost to Port, nearly pinched the game, but good performances against top teams need to be backed up with wins against the weaker teams.
Last season, when required, we lost the games that we should have won.... Remember Geelong, Sydney, Kangaroos. These sides were all below us on the ladder at the time we played them, but still managed to beat us.The real test is going to be the next two games between the Swans and Melbourne. To take the next step, these two games are vital.
We could possibly be 8-3 at the halfway mark of the season. That in itself will be a great fillup for the players and give them the much needed wins on the board as a platform for September action. Lose even one of these games and the team will be putting pressure on itself again. Maybe in the middle of the field at the half-way mark of the season, with a less than great percentage.

BJ

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a gimme in this game, as Essendon learned to their cost against Freo. Add to that a disturbing habit of playing games at the level of the opposition and we should looking at every game as a danger game.

Last night aside, the difference so far this season has been that, like a top side, the breaks have started going our way. We can win the close ones, the ball will bounce for us, the maggots are even giving some dubious decisions in our favour.

It's a sign that we're on the verge. I'm not a superstitious person, but I know, from bitter experience, that the team on a roll always gets the bounce, always gets the decision - and it's happening more for us this year than it has for a decade or more.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:24 am

Nice one BJ, last year we blew three games that cost us big time...forced to play catch up at years end and coudnt do it..next 2 games we must win. end of story.

Mike, years ago my non-Pie mates called them 'typical Collingwood arse goals'...nice to hear we are kicking them again.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:10 pm

I honestly think we are a better team this year.
Fight till the end and not just Bucks.
Pity we went missing in the first quarter last night.
I'm sure they will learn from that. It's not easy to win every game but by god they try!

Magpies_rule19 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:08 am

COLLINGWOOD has won 5 games in a row and now they think we are gonna start loosing.......get real!!!
Collingwood have a great young side and they are a team that dont give up!
watch out everyone the pies arent done with yet!!!!

Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:24 am

Geez, for 35 years I've thought EVERY game was a must win!

-Craig

BJ Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:47 am

I didn't say they would start losing Magpies_rule 19. I was basically stating they need to learn from previous history.
Was it the year before last we won 5 in a row? Last year we declared ourselves final 8 material when we were 8-5. We never gave up last year either, but close enough was not good enough.
Let's start with this week and see if we really have improved. A narrow loss is still a loss (Even though I'm still proud of the boys) and whether we give up or not, the scoreboard is what counts!

BJ

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:47 am

I'm with you, BJ. You are spot on. Next week's game against the Coat Hangers is crunch time. Nothing less than the four points will do. And the Melbourne game likewise.

The game the other night was one of those you would normally pencil in as a likely loss. Away to Port is always tough. The fact that we won it last year and have been playing so well this years probably got our hopes up a bit. But really, a win over Port at Football Park would have been a bonus ... just like the win over Brisbane was a bonus.

But these next two really are in the MUST WIN category. That doesn't mean they'll be easy. Far from it. Sydney were one of the teams that screwed us last year (along with Geelong and the Wankeroos) and we owe them BIG TIME.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:30 am

next week is huge. bloody huge. might sound strange, but i reckon the sydney game is as big as any game we've played this year.

frankly i reckon we could win the next 4 matches. we need to beat sydney, and beat them WELL. we need to end their season. in the past few years we've just never been able to bury a team. next week we've got a chance to grind the swans into the dust for the rest of this season.

we have to win, and win well. i don't want another bloody close game. i want a good old-fashioned thrashing.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:56 am

we have extra incentive as well. colless was the one who gave eddie the bird earlier this year on four corners. it's pay back time.

"..we flew at them as a hawk to his prey, passed through them in the disordered state in which they were, separated them into two distinct parts and then tacked upon their largest division.." -- Captain Cuthbert Collingwood, 1797
Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:11 am

I agree, every game is a must win. You can't trust to have any easy ones in today's footy. It's either a top of the ladder *blockbuster* or the bottom rungs = *danger games*.

But I'm waiting for the guys to explode. It has to happen soon where the whole team hits its straps at once - instead of different players taking turns on different weeks. That's what gives me a good feeling - the depth of emerging confidence.

Our next step HAS to be - to win big. The top teams do it a few times each year. We haven't blown too many away yet. Let's start next week by kicking 30 goals.

Magpies_rule19 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:34 am

BJ, i didnt mean you i ment everyone else no collingwood supporters!!!
sorry if you didnt take it the right way!!!!

BJ Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:32 pm

It's allright Magpies_rule 19. I was a bit annoyed at your cockiness. We need to prove ourselves, otherwise we'll be also-rans and given no credit. Our performances this year have been outstanding, with the exception of the Ricmond and Carlscum games.
To be in the top echelon of the AFL we need wins. And that importantly means wins that are expected. The pressure is on now. Dr Alf was spot on when he said Port away is tough. We need to make Collingwood away to Sydney tougher.

BJ

Magpies_rule19 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:36 pm

I agree with you........for a young side like collingwood to be in the top eight is just a bonus and when they can beat sides like essendon, Brissy, and hawthorn you just have faith in them and you know they can do it!

Go Pies!

hope Nick,shane and joshy are well to play against Sydney
so they can play in what is gonna be a good game

carcarly_pieland 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 4:38 pm

n when we beat swans by A MILE..any tinnny thoughts of going up to them would no doubt be gone in Boofa's head..=)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: