Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Auntie Faye Lynam

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 pm
Post subject: Auntie Faye LynamReply with quote

As promised, here is the article that appeared in the Shepparton News on Friday the 15th Feb 2008.

And from the ABC Stateline program;
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/vic/content/2006/s2164214.htm

Nelson apologizes;
http://www.abc.net.au/message/news/stories/ms_news_2164063.htm

Unfortunately the ABC radio broadcast of an interview with Auntie Fay Lynam is not downloadable.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the offending speech.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:47 pm

Im not really going to comment on him using her story without her permission...but im curious about the circumstances surrounding the welfare authorities 'duping' her father into giving her up.

I just get a strange feeling that theres some big "yadda yadda yadda-ing" going on.

Doesn't exactly sound, on its face, like the kind of forced removal that so many others were subjected to.
member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am

Zakal wrote:
Im not really going to comment on him using her story without her permission...but im curious about the circumstances to.

So the fact that the authorities promised access and then moved her whenever he discovered where she was does not count as "duped" to you?
Here in lies the problem. To many people who did not live the life prepared to make excuses for the actions that were taken. Actions that the independent Bringing Them Home report have decided require an apology for.
I have not lived the life of these people and so cannot feel the pain and suffering they experienced.
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:19 pm

member34258 wrote:
Zakal wrote:
Im not really going to comment on him using her story without her permission...but im curious about the circumstances to.

So the fact that the authorities promised access and then moved her whenever he discovered where she was does not count as "duped" to you?
Here in lies the problem. To many people who did not live the life prepared to make excuses for the actions that were taken. Actions that the independent Bringing Them Home report have decided require an apology for.
I have not lived the life of these people and so cannot feel the pain and suffering they experienced.

No i think its more a matter of not having lived the particular life in question and wanting to be told the facts before making a decision on each case.

Although i will admit that for some reason i completely missed that part about her moving on to another town if she was found. All i read was that her father told her he was promised access, and that that didnt happen. Which left me wondering as to the cirucmstances. i.e. being told he would have access when in Darwin (for example) but then being placed with a family in Melbourne would still constitute access...albeit pretty damn hard to exercise.

Obviously thats all stuff that any body assessing a compensation claim would have to weigh up...along with the records (if any) of the Department that took custody of the child.

When kids are given up by their parents in more usual circumstances...what are their rights of access? i.e. can foster parents prevent it if they choose? Obviously adoptive parents can, but how far does that extend when a child is placed in the care of the State?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't hear anything wrong with the Speech.

Little Johnny is the Dickhead

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Tell me more about Dickhead.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

HAL wrote:
Tell me more about Dickhead.

Don't get me started Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:04 pm

OK.

She's upset that he used her words in his speech.

And that proves what a piece of excement he is how? The last para said that after the news alerted him to her concerns he was trying to contact her.

I'm not really sure how this proves anything other than that the woman is upset at her words being used in a speech that she disagreed with and that she believes she's been misrepresented.

If she recorded something for an oral history, doesn't that become a public document? Does someone need to get permission from her to quote parts of it?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 pm

What do you think? What if someone does?
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
OK.

She's upset that he used her words in his speech.

And that proves what a piece of excement he is how? The last para said that after the news alerted him to her concerns he was trying to contact her.

I'm not really sure how this proves anything other than that the woman is upset at her words being used in a speech that she disagreed with and that she believes she's been misrepresented.

If she recorded something for an oral history, doesn't that become a public document? Does someone need to get permission from her to quote parts of it?

hehe youre getting into that pedantic legal area again stui hehe Wink.

The answer is (as usual) "it depends."
If she WROTE the words (and i emphasize wrote in contradiction to the title "oral" history), then she owns the copyright in those words she wrote (no copyright in ideas). But that said, one would assume that anything of this nature would involve some entry into the public domain of the work produced...but depends on some kind of express or implied agreement to that effect.

And if THAT happened, her rights are limited to "moral rights" such as being attributed as the author of the work, and not to be subject to "unfair" treatment. Neither of those things apply to my knowledge in this case as he mentioned her by name didnt he (i think thats how her friends told her)? and being paraphrased by a person she doesn't like, in a speech she didnt agree with doesn't constitute unfair treatment. (in fact most things dont).
member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Quoting her is fine. SELECTIVELY quoting her is unfair. Turning her words into support for what was done to her is disgraceful.
Another article in todays paper, I will post it when I can.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm

LOL, I love the look on a managers face when they ask me a question and I say "it depends" Razz

people tend to like certainty, black and white (no pun intended) and when you have to explain that it's not one size fits all they get frustrated.

I'm sure she feels agrieved and that Nelson should have asked permission to quote her but I think the sub text is that she didn't like the wording of his statement and has issues having her name associated with it. Legitimate feeling but doesn't any wrong was done other than as was already agreed, wrong wording for wrong audience at wrong time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: