Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

P2P Downloaders beware...Big brother is coming

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been downloading since the net started and I have never had the gestapo banging on my door. Simple fact is they will be wasting their money as it's all for personal use. Sure I could go to jail if they charged me but that is at the maximum end. At a cost of $50000 minimum to prosecute me and a return of nothing the bean counters will simply say it's not worth it. They have spent an estimated 30 million dollars in trying to shut down the pirate bay and its still up and running. The simple fact is US laws mean jack in most countries. Sony took a guy from Australia to court as he modified playstations. Under our law he was not guilty. Big companies taking on little joe blogs is a no no down under. A jury in this country will side with the little guy.

Do I have legit copies of anything? Sure if it is worth it but there is a hell of a lot of garbage out there. Have a look at Windows Vista. Talk about a dodgy program o/s which they are trying to fix on the run and have a look at what they are charging for a program with at least 50000 known issues.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:21 pm

haha this is a classic taken from this article: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=380930

Quote:
People caught uploading clips from Underbelly could face both copyright and contempt of court charges.

"The Victorian Police are now recognising it as a very profitable crime," said Mr Gane.

HOW is it a very profitable crime? Its free you jackass! People upload it for free, people download it for free. Where is the profit?
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Culprit wrote:
I have been downloading since the net started and I have never had the gestapo banging on my door. Simple fact is they will be wasting their money as it's all for personal use. Sure I could go to jail if they charged me but that is at the maximum end. At a cost of $50000 minimum to prosecute me and a return of nothing the bean counters will simply say it's not worth it. They have spent an estimated 30 million dollars in trying to shut down the pirate bay and its still up and running. The simple fact is US laws mean jack in most countries. Sony took a guy from Australia to court as he modified playstations. Under our law he was not guilty. Big companies taking on little joe blogs is a no no down under. A jury in this country will side with the little guy.

Do I have legit copies of anything? Sure if it is worth it but there is a hell of a lot of garbage out there. Have a look at Windows Vista. Talk about a dodgy program o/s which they are trying to fix on the run and have a look at what they are charging for a program with at least 50000 known issues.

The thing these companies fail to realise when they look at the "damage" piracy does to them, is that the market penetration on their product actually DEPENDS to a significant extent on piracy.

I can guarantee you that if everyone had to fork out $300 for a copy of Windows....they wouldnt use it. Linux is free, and the only reason i dont use it is because i cant be bothered learning a new system...but if i had to, i would. Its actually better.

Same goes for Office...the free alternatives are every bit as good, and its convenience that keeps people on the pirate copies. If they faced a real threat of prosecution...distributions of Open Office would skyrocket, and MS Office would plummet.

I dont think theres any software i use that doesnt have a viable "free" alternative...and in most cases, i use the Open Source version cos its less hassle. Dscaler, FFDShow, Zoomplayer, Winamp, AVG, FireFox etc etc.

Hell, look at Google. Its free, and they still manage to turn a very very healthy profit. Maybe Microsoft and others should wisen up on how to make money off the massive boost in product distribution they get from hundreds of thousands of extra people using their software (only) because they can get it for free, instead of wasting probably billions on trying to stop them. Don't go out of your way to make it easy for them, and make sure there is value for customers to purchase the product (i.e. after sales support)....but hunting them down is pointless and counterproductive.

Alternatively they can keep influencing countries to change tighten their copyright laws...spending billions on lobying governments and prosecuting dirty scumbag pirates....and then just go broke once Google releases Google Office to run on the Google OS incorporating Google Search and Google Earth, GoogleTV and GoogleTunes all stable, functional, and free.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 pm

LOL, Nice one Zakal.

So someone copies a program on FTA TV and allows others to watch the copy. Apart from the contempt of court issue, where the hell is the problem? 9 puts programs on FTA tv for.............FREE. People don't pay to watch them.

They aren't charging for it, it's free. No there is no profit in it.

They aren't denying 9 any revenue because they've already been paid by advertisers.

It's all BS by 9 trying to drum up interest.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Culprit wrote:

Exactly - There is so Much Crap out There an that it's not worth it.

If I find it's worth buying then I will Buy but that if it's worth it but that not very often

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Zakal wrote:
Culprit wrote:

The thing these companies fail to realise when they look at the "damage" piracy does to them, is that the market penetration on their product actually DEPENDS to a significant extent on piracy.

I can guarantee you that if everyone had to fork out $300 for a copy of Windows....they wouldnt use it. Linux is free, and the only reason i dont use it is because i cant be bothered learning a new system...but if i had to, i would. Its actually better.

Same goes for Office...the free alternatives are every bit as good, and its convenience that keeps people on the pirate copies. If they faced a real threat of prosecution...distributions of Open Office would skyrocket, and MS Office would plummet.

I dont think theres any software i use that doesnt have a viable "free" alternative...and in most cases, i use the Open Source version cos its less hassle. Dscaler, FFDShow, Zoomplayer, Winamp, AVG, FireFox etc etc.

Hell, look at Google. Its free, and they still manage to turn a very very healthy profit. Maybe Microsoft and others should wisen up on how to make money off the massive boost in product distribution they get from hundreds of thousands of extra people using their software (only) because they can get it for free, instead of wasting probably billions on trying to stop them. Don't go out of your way to make it easy for them, and make sure there is value for customers to purchase the product (i.e. after sales support)....but hunting them down is pointless and counterproductive.

Alternatively they can keep influencing countries to change tighten their copyright laws...spending billions on lobying governments and prosecuting dirty scumbag pirates....and then just go broke once Google releases Google Office to run on the Google OS incorporating Google Search and Google Earth, GoogleTV and GoogleTunes all stable, functional, and free.

Is there an open source version of Outlook that works?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Zakal wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Is there an open source version of Outlook that works?

Thunderbird Here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Quote:
Thunderbird Here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I prefer here;
http://www.thunderbirdsonline.co.uk/
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks DTM, and thanks Member. I'd downloaded from DTM's link before I saw members link (I assume it's the same program).

Looks good, automatically picked up the settings from outlook, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Thanks DTM, and thanks Member. I'd downloaded from DTM's link before I saw members link (I assume it's the same program).

Looks good, automatically picked up the settings from outlook, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers.

My Pleasure,

I have not used it myself but I like to hear how it goes Very Happy

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 pm

I use Linux and thunderbird is way better than any E-mail client out there.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
DTM's link before I saw members link (I assume it's the same program).

Cheers.

Eeerrr.........no.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Boom Tish Member. And here's me thanking you for being helpful.

BTW, DTM I like the look of it but I've got something else frigged up going on. I may have to (gulp) call big pond tech support. Crying or Very sad

member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
big pond tech support.

Oxymoron!
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 pm

I'll tell you a little story about Bigpond tech support stui.

I rang em about 3 weeks ago on a Sat morn when I couln't get online.
After 15 mins of trying to assess the situation, (he didn't do anything that I hadn't already tried btw) he came to the conclusion that I needed a new modem. I had 2 choices. Order one and wait a few days or if I was desparate I could go to to the nearest Telstra shop and get one. Ok, I was desparate so I went to the shop and guess what? They stopped selling them through Telstra shop about 3 months ago. WTF? So here I am pissed off after wasting all morning trying to get the damn thing going, now having to go back home, order a new modem and wait a few more days to get back on. Well you wouldn't believe it, I get back home, the freakin thing was working!!! Unfuckenbelievable.
Still curious as to what the problem was I get onto their website to check the 'service status' and low and behold I discover that there had been scheduled maintenance that morning with some expected "minor disruptions to services". Rolling Eyes Go figure.

Isn't it ironic that the only likely time you feel a need to check 'service status' is when you've got no freakin service!!! Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: