Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Carey into the AFL Hall of Fame or should that be Shame ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:45 pm
Post subject: Carey into the AFL Hall of Fame or should that be Shame ?Reply with quote

I hope i got that right The AFL hall of fame ?

Im confused at what criteria is needed for a player to enter ther most prestige club of AFL football.
Recently we had a well known superstar who in his career amidst other things took mark of the year mark over Gary Pert that was not a mark, bit like the goal of the year awarded in 2007 to the bloke that couldn't get a goal if he stood up straight, apologies im sidetracking myself.

So recently a footballer was entered in to the hall of fame who was proven to be partly responsible for the death of a young girl in a hotel room...To think he was eventually honoured with such a distinction in my opinion disturbing.

Now in todays media a push is on to get Wayne Carey into the AFL hall of fame, A guy who indecently assaults females, Bashes females with glass objects, sleeps with team mates wives, and sadly at present is close to being charged with drug possesion ( aledged ).

Am i missing something here ?
Or are we just short on admitting real nice everyday people and footballers into the Hall of Fame.
What damage has Ablett and Carey done to AFL football ?
Should Carey be also entered in to the AFL hall of fame ?
Should rules be changed on exactly what type of people we want in our Hall of Fame, would be good to get opinions of other players in the Hall of Fame who have lived decently.
I dont recognise the Hall of Fame anymore failed to do so after Ablett was admitted, Carey's admission would be the icing on the cake and im for the push to rename it.. wait for it..umm The AFL's Hall of Shame ?

Last edited by joffa corfe on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem as I see it Joffa is that, those voting on whether someone should be in or not, is that they tend to separate football from 'everyday' life.

Those like Dermie say that he should be included for his football ability only, while others like Tim Lane say his entire life should be the basis for entry.

Me, I think he is a dog and I believe he should never be considered but I fear I will be in the minority.

If Abblett can get in, then the only criterion, it seems, is to be able to walk upright.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:08 pm

how is each of the criteria weighted? if personal integrity and community standing is of significance then i'd say he might scrape through based on having enough points in the bank for footballing ability.

and how the **** does kb end up on this panel too?

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 pm

SEN were discussing this tonight

there are 3 criteria that the committee look for in a player to admit them to the Hall of Fame, apparently they made Ablett wait 3 years.....should have waited forever in my opinion.

on field ability,
integrity, and
character

Carey may have the onfield ability, but he certainly lacks integrity and his character is dubious at best.

xtcc 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 pm

The AFL Hall of Fame should be for every player that has played the game.

Be it a Aus kick Kid, or a 300 game player.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:08 pm

AFL hall of fame should be to recognise someones ON FIELD achievements....

What happens outside of their profession shouldnt eliminate them from the award.

EG - Should me heading out on a weekend and getting very drunk, getting into the occassional blue etc etc eliminate me from winning best sales manager awards etc....? NO

PS - Not that i do that sort of stuff Shocked

nulla 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 pm

I reckon its wrong to induct anyone to the hall of fame on his performance alone. The Hall Of Fame is there for ever and any youngster will in the future be reading of past stars and look for a champion in the past to build their career on. And that I reckon hits the nail on the head... football is a professional career and it should and must involve your off field life.

If it is good enough for a company to pay you to promote their logo or whatever then it is good enough for you to make sure you are setting a good example for those the logo or ad or whatever medium being used is targeted at.

Chanel 9 were wise to quickly rid someone who was setting a bad example for anything they may be associated with on the media.

I feel the trouble though does arise when an ex player already in the hall of fame commits such acts as we have seen in the last week... do they take him away and rub his name out?

Should Hall Of Famers be required to reach a certain age before being inducted?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 am

Proud Pies wrote:
SEN were discussing this tonight

there are 3 criteria that the committee look for in a player to admit them to the Hall of Fame, apparently they made Ablett wait 3 years.....should have waited forever in my opinion.

on field ability,
integrity, and
character

Carey may have the onfield ability, but he certainly lacks integrity and his character is dubious at best.

Hang on, who the hell gave this committee the right to judge someone's 'integrity' and 'character'?

And how could they possibly know anything other than reported incidents?

Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Hypothetically, does Steve Johnson miss out in the future because of his traffic offences? Does Gehrig miss out for being a complete dickhead combined with some unpleasant incidents?

The criteria should be based on their football career and nothing else. Carey was an excellent player and if the committee doesn't recognise it, then they are doing this 'hall of fame' an injustice.

nulla wrote:
The Hall Of Fame is there for ever and any youngster will in the future be reading of past stars and look for a champion in the past to build their career on. And that I reckon hits the nail on the head... football is a professional career and it should and must involve your off field life.

Rubbish. Why should this be the case?

Youngsters should look back at Carey's football career and see him as what he was, a champion player. I've never subscribed to the 'role model' argument

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 am

Yep i agree.

I cringe at the thought of KB being charged with assessing someones "integrity and character"...the man is a fool of the highest order.

However he is not being inducted into the "Man of the Year" hall of fame...its the AFL hall of fame.

The AFL is a sporting organisation just like any other, its existence revolves around sporting prowess, the rest is ancillary. As such, the criterion for entry should be legendary football ability (whether as player or coach)...or some outstanding life-long contribution to football (no that does not include journalists of any kind).

I think the worst thing about the Ablett admission was that it took so long. He was clearly eligible on football ability, and on that basis should have got in instantly once he qualified...the fact they brought this "good guy" stuff into it made a mockery of his eventual admission. What, he's suddenly a good guy? Instead of all the hype and speculation, should have been in straight away.

Carey is the same. Absolute gun, admit him when eligible, remember the player and forget the moron.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:10 am
Post subject: Re: Carey into the AFL Hall of Fame or should that be ShameReply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:

So recently a footballer was entered in to the hall of fame who was proven to be directly responsible for the death of a young girl in a hotel room...To think he was eventually honoured with such a distinction in my opinion disturbing.

Is that true? I must admit my recollection of these events to be somewhat hazily jaded by constant media repetition...but i dont recall it progressing beyond the circumstantial. Was he eventually charged?
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:40 am

I have a problem with Mark Robinson's piece in todays paper, as he goes on to say and quote, just maybe, the man is being the boy who grew up in rural Wagga Wagga, in an enviroment of heavy-handed masculinity and , at the end of a broken home.
So is Mark saying all should be forgiven on the basis Carey had some type of rough upbringing ?
Does that excuse anti social behaviour ?
Does that give the green light go ahead as an excuse for other kids who may have had problems early on in life ?

Wouldn't it be a greater story about Carey, if the story was about the kid who did it tough and went on to become an AFL superstar and a role model for human decency..WOW what would that do for the kids who have had it rough what a positive and powerful example that would of been, are we not accountable for our actions, are we also not aware that repurcussions occur when one becomes ignorant of one's accountability in the way we live our lives, so on that basis why should Carey be awarded on of the AFL's highest honours ?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:48 am

^ my take on that was that carey is invariably a product of his environment back then and that what we see today was possibly an inevitability [oxymoron or not] because of inaction or appropriate interventions. robinson is not excusing carey at all.

shame that the second half of your statement never came to fruition. that would have been a great story.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:53 am

Tess wrote:
They should leave it for a while like they did with Ablett. See if Carey settles or just gets worse, would they admit Muir?

No, because Muir wasn't that great a player (certainly not in the class of Carey and Ablett).

joffa corfe wrote:
I have a problem with Mark Robinson's piece in todays paper, as he goes on to say and quote, just maybe, the man is being the boy who grew up in rural Wagga Wagga, in an enviroment of heavy-handed masculinity and , at the end of a broken home.
So is Mark saying all should be forgiven on the basis Carey had some type of rough upbringing ?
Does that give the green light go ahead as an excuse for other kids who may have had problems early on in life ?

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

There's reasons why we turn out to be the people we are, and it's my belief that those reasons are generally things that are out of our control (see above post for a far more succinct explanation). It's not saying that we should judge Carey's actions more lightly... how about, and I know this may sound radical, not judging him at all?

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:09 am

given that so many gun players these days are dickheads, why don't they just have two halls of fame ? a normal players hall of fame and a dickheads hall of fame. it'd keep everyone happy. dickheadedness could actually count towards getting someone in.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

David wrote:
Tess wrote:
They should leave it for a while like they did with Ablett. See if Carey settles or just gets worse, would they admit Muir?

No, because Muir wasn't that great a player (certainly not in the class of Carey and Ablett).

joffa corfe wrote:

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

There's reasons why we turn out to be the people we are, and it's my belief that those reasons are generally things that are out of our control (see above post for a far more succinct explanation). It's not saying that we should judge Carey's actions more lightly... how about, and I know this may sound radical, not judging him at all?

Well thats where you and i will begin to play tennis David, Carey for the award, No to Carey for the award, Carey for the award, No to Carey for the award so on and so on, i will respect what your trying to say and move on,
I tend to believe as we approcah adulthood years we tend to know what's right and what's wrong, we choose the path of our choices and life will judge accordingly.
Judging or merely expressing an opinion ?
The guy is up and running for an elite award he brings an attrocious package.
And i believe this bloke has damaged our game and keeps doing it at a time when parants are faced with many choices in helping their kids to decide what junior sport they would like to take up Wink

Last edited by joffa corfe on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: