Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Robbie Muir Icon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 pm
Post subject: Robbie Muir IconReply with quote

Chatting to a mate of mine over a number of beers last saturday and the name Robert Muir came up in conversation. My mate shocked me saying that Muir was the worst example of a fair sportsman he had ever seen. I totally disagreed. Muir to me was a little volitile, but nonetheless, a great player who took it up to all who dared challenge his team. He didn't like umpires I guess. So what, name me a Collingwood fan who does? Silence I hear.

Muir was different. That's all. He motivated his team with his passion and his on field, (sometimes running off the field), antics were a type of passion, nothing more. I felt Robbie was unfairly branded and his great VFL career cut short by intolerance. No one can deny his athletic abilities and natural football skill. A solid on field champion who led by example. I would have loved him to coach my kids. Teach them how to play with guts. Sort of bloke you want to take into battle. Would have been a great war General.

I am only sad Robbie Muir does not have a modern AFL coaching role. His passion and colour would draw huge crowds. CFC could do with his type to inspire our boys to take that extra step when the chips are down.

I am a big rap for Robbie Muir. Love his style. Love his passion. We need players like him to take on the system and umpires in our modern game. Umpires and some opposition players get away with too much against us sometimes.

Now Tess before you say I am taking the piss again. I want you to know that I am not. I stand by my views and don't mind people disagreeing. But I don't write on here taking the piss. I beleive in what I say. So don't insult me lady.

Muir is a VFL icon. We need a player like this in modern times on our senior list to take on a few like Neitz, Richo, Mooney, Fav.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Muir Would Belt you for just looking at him, Not a Good Role Model
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 pm

muir didn't mentor john bourke by any chance?
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 pm

I've met Robbie Muir and had a good old chin wag with him, a real nice bloke.
PS.. The political correct people would not like Robbie only because he's the type of bloke who will look you in the eye and call a spade a spade!

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 pm

he made a great highlights package, that's for sure! Shocked Twisted Evil
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Robbie was playing in Darwin quite a few years ago, and got reported in his second game.

Got 12 weeks, then as a spectator the following week, got another 6 for abusing an umpire.

Loves a beer or 18, does Robbie, and got himself removed from Burbank Oval a couple of years ago when Williamstown were playing North Ballarat.

Hooked
Piepark 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 am

Robbie Muir king hit one of our players many years ago in a behind the play incident in a practice match. Broke his nose and the kid, Paul Rizonico, who played some footy for us, was never the same after that hit.

Why we would idolise a thug and coward like him is beyond me. Don't we remember John Greening? Muir should be put in the waste basket of history when to comes to so called guts and being a straight shooter. He was a coward playing for a club that has a history of patting people like that on the back.

Pathetic player.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 pm

What a funny old fellow is Hiss...

possum.jpg

wooden spoon.jpg

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Robbie Muir may have looked you in the eye and called a spade a spade, but he was also a coward who would king hit you when he got the chance.

A coward on the footy field whom I have little respect for. Nothing more, nothing less!
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Piepark wrote:
Robbie Muir king hit one of our players many years ago in a behind the play incident in a practice match. Broke his nose and the kid, Paul Rizonico, who played some footy for us, was never the same after that hit.

Why we would idolise a thug and coward like him is beyond me. Don't we remember John Greening? Muir should be put in the waste basket of history when to comes to so called guts and being a straight shooter. He was a coward playing for a club that has a history of patting people like that on the back.

Pathetic player.

Agree 100%

Personally, I respect footballers who display courage, fairness and integrity. Robbie Muir has NONE of these qualities!!

I would not give the time of day to Robbie Muir or any other player of his ilk
rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Robbie played in an era where racial sledging was the norm, the abuse and nature of the abuse he copped over the years certainly made his volatility more understandable in my opinion
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 pm

I read somewhere that Robbie took on an umpiring gig for a game against two teams that other umpires refused to do because they were concerned about the players attitude towards them. In other words, the umpires were afraid for their own safety.

When asked what he'd do if any of the players gave him any lip, he said he would give them a smack in the head to show who was in charge.

A great example to have as an icon - NOT!

Hooked
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:02 pm

spoljar wrote:
Robbie Muir may have looked you in the eye and called a spade a spade, but he was also a coward who would king hit you when he got the chance.

A coward on the footy field whom I have little respect for. Nothing more, nothing less!

Each to their own i fell in love with the bloke when we met..give me fair dinkum people anyday..

Me and robbie just shooting the breeze @ TAC Oval 2007

Im all warm and fuzzy on how we look alike Razz

joffandrob.jpg

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Robbie fitted right in at St Kilda around that time.
No talented bunch of thugs who loved to hit players behind play as a way of 'evening' up the game.

Surely this thread is another piss take

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:49 pm

My mate Robbie wouldn't bag the shit out of anyone on the internet under some walt disney name either Rolling Eyes
thumbs up for robbie Wink
Thank You
PS im off to Avalon to watch the sprint cars i'll be back with a full report Very Happy

athumbsup.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: