Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy AUSTRALIA DAY, Let's all Celebrate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this day would be better spent thinking about all those who aren't as fortunate to live in the relatively united, relatively accepting, economically prosperous nation/society we live in.

The truth is, I'm happy that I live in Australia - that I don't have to worry about a civil war every 5 years, or trying to dodge horrible diseases, or serious racial tensions, or religious extremists, or Maury Povich. I'm happy that I can live a long and healthy life, receive a comprehensive education, decide my own career, and have a welfare system that is there to help if I veer off track a bit.

That doesn't mean we need excessive national 'pride', or an American brand of patriotism that breeds a cultural superiority complex. Merely, we should recognise that we've got it pretty good here, and do everything we can to ensure we keep the positive things that come with living in Australia, while improving the things that need improvement.

Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend.

member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Happy McAustralia Day!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
HAPPY Ausamerican day folks..Australia ? Give me a break we stopped being Australia in the 1970's.

I don't Believe that Joffa, True Aussie are Rarer to Find because that we have been influence by the Dam Yanks but I think we did it well by having best of both worlds.

We are Still more Aussie then Yank but I agree for how much longer Question

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:58 pm

David wrote:
Perhaps this day would be better spent thinking about all those who aren't as fortunate to live in the relatively united, relatively accepting, economically prosperous nation/society we live in.

The truth is, I'm happy that I live in Australia - that I don't have to worry about a civil war every 5 years, or trying to dodge horrible diseases, or serious racial tensions, or religious extremists, or Maury Povich. I'm happy that I can live a long and healthy life, receive a comprehensive education, decide my own career, and have a welfare system that is there to help if I veer off track a bit.

That doesn't mean we need excessive national 'pride', or an American brand of patriotism that breeds a cultural superiority complex. Merely, we should recognise that we've got it pretty good here, and do everything we can to ensure we keep the positive things that come with living in Australia, while improving the things that need improvement.

Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend.

Very True David, Great to live in a Place where there is No Cival Unrest or Someone could Shot You at anytime

Cangaru Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:00 am

joffa corfe wrote:
HAPPY Ausamerican day folks..Australia ? Give me a break we stopped being Australia in the 1970's.

Yep too right? We are the yanks play doll?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:43 am

Dave The Man wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:

I don't Believe that Joffa, True Aussie are Rarer to Find because that we have been influence by the Dam Yanks but I think we did it well by having best of both worlds.

Confused

i am all for celebrating our heritage and who we are but i think it is ott to have flags stuck to cars, girls wearing australian flag dresses and flag tatoos on faces. i saw a lot of that yesterday.

why do people need to be so overt with their desire to show who they are? is there an underlying insecurity of needing to identify and belong to something?

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:49 am

Jock McPie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:

Confused

i am all for celebrating our heritage and who we are but i think it is ott to have flags stuck to cars, girls wearing australian flag dresses and flag tatoos on faces. i saw a lot of that yesterday.

why do people need to be so overt with their desire to show who they are? is there an underlying insecurity of needing to identify and belong to something?

I recall them wearing all that many years ago to the tennis and the cricket. It's not a new thing and why can't they wear the flag?

You could perhaps tell the Swedes, the Croats, the Indian's, the Pakistanis and everyone else that shows their countries colours during sporting events here in Australia and during the olympics.

It's called Pride, not insecurity.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:58 am

^ very good point. though i was never overly comfortably with the wearing of the flag as a fashion accessory or item at sports events. call me old fashioned.

i used to take my aussie flag to sports events and wave it.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:01 am

Jock McPie wrote:
^ very good point. though i was never overly comfortably with the wearing of the flag as a fashion accessory or item at sports events. call me old fashioned.

i used to take my aussie flag to sports events and wave it.

it's a bit like us wearing our collingwood garb and getting our faces painted (not me though lol). Same thing, just on a smaller scale.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 am

our flag is our flag, there is protocol attached to it. some things should remain sacrosanct or in the least given more respect.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:36 am

Jock McPie wrote:
our flag is our flag, there is protocol attached to it. some things should remain sacrosanct or in the least given more respect.

i was in the defence force and had to hoise the flag up the flagpole on many occasions, i don'thave an issue with people wearing it. Glad they are showing some pride in it and who they are.

Unlike other nations where they burn other countries flags.....now THAT is disrespectful.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 am

Quote:
i was in the defence force and had to hoise the flag up the flagpole on many occasions, i don'thave an issue with people wearing it.

what?! you were hoisting people up the flag pole? Wink

apparently there is a flag day every year, i didn't know that. was reading the australian flag association website.

Quote:
Unlike other nations where they burn other countries flags.....now THAT is disrespectful.

yes, that is quite alarming.

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 am

Im with you Jock, don't see the need for in-your-face American style celebrations....although in the defence of the Australian public...its not really something you see on a daily basis like you do in America.

Sporting events where Australia is fielding a side (as opposed to clubs etc), Australia Day, etc etc i dont really have a problem with people wearing flag tattoos and waving the flag around or hanging it from their cars etc. Where i would start to get worried would be if i started seeing cars driving around with the flag attached to their aerial or something.

Although maybe its just me cos i dont really like OTT celebrations of anything (christmas, easter, heres looking at you)....well, except a Pies flag of course. hehehe Wink
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:32 am

I think the overt patriotism is a great thing when compared to the 70's when it seemed like people were almost apologetic for being Australian rather than proud.

We don't need to become totally insular and start to believe that the rest of the world revolves around Australia, but showing some national pride on one day of the year doesn't hurt.

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 am

stui magpie wrote:
I think the overt patriotism is a great thing when compared to the 70's when it seemed like people were almost apologetic for being Australian rather than proud.

.....seems like some still are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: