Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Invasion day protest on Saturday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadjack wrote:
Valid questions Spoljar.

1. From the Australian government on behalf of past governments and as representatives of the Australian people.

2. For many indigenous people symbolic recognition that wrongs were committed is an important precondition for putting the past behind them and moving on. Our failure to admit to any wrongdoing is paramount to saying what happened was acceptable and not that important. If you and I were friends and I did something that was a major slight on you, would you just accept this without demanding an apology and expect the relationship to continue as before?

3. If it lets them get on with their lives perhaps. The point is though that that's not for you or me to decide. The person deserving and receiving the apology is the one who gets to decide that.

Again, the quote I posted earlier sums it up for me:

"I can accept the fact that the young generation...is not to blame. It was their fathers and grandfathers. But until they own up, they'll always be a pariah nation,"

Who are we to dispute this?

Nomad, thanks for taking the time to answering my question from your perspective rather than attacking where I live. And that is all I wanted, just some different perspectives rather than an attack on me just because I may not do things or have a different opinion to someone else.

With regards to some of the answers:
1. I completely agree with the Australian government making the apology. I dont believe that I have anything to be sorry about personally, but I certainly acknowledge that past and present injustices have and continue to be done to the indigenous community.
2. If the word sorry was said formally, what percentage of the indigenous community would than put the past behind them and look to move forward? As the indigenous community is made up of many tribes, have they to a degree all come together to express as a whole as to what direction they will take after an apology is made. I guess what I am saying is that an apology may mean a lot to one tribe and nothing to another so you wonder if the majority or minority will move forward from there.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Don't really see how the examples you put forward are relevant Zakal. Firstly, they almost all refer to conflict between nation-states which was clearly not the same situation we are talking about. In this sense more applicable examples would be cases where nation-states have colonized other peoples, of which there are plenty of examples of apologies being put forward, eg 1993 US apology for invading Hawai in 1910; Canadian government apology and reparations paid to Innuit people in 1992.

I would even argue that German government apologies and reparations paid to Jewish victims of the Holocaust constitute a more relevant and applicable example to the Australian indigenous situation than the cases you raise

Secondly, and more importantly, in all of the examples you raise the original transgressor was eventually defeated and the pre-existing order was restored. In many of these cases formal apologies for actions and restorative reparations were included as part of the treaty arrangements.

The argument you make about the European Union is an interesting one. If you read much of the internation relations literature on apologies you will see that most theorists argue that Germany has been accepted in Europe by past enemies because of the lengths it has gone to to apologise and atone for the behaviour of the Nazi regime and to draw a distinct line between pre and post war Germany. Japan is often criticized for not making the same effort.

If anyone is interested there are some good points made in the following articles:

http://www.slate.com/id/1066/

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jlind/research/LindAPSA2005.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=FP7rnBGFz8IC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=german+apologies+for+invasions&source=web&ots=XVwPYzraKQ&sig=76cHK4cCH0NvRL_TdbbAY1mF218

Valid questions Spoljar.

1. From the Australian government on behalf of past governments and as representatives of the Australian people.

2. For many indigenous people symbolic recognition that wrongs were committed is an important precondition for putting the past behind them and moving on. Our failure to admit to any wrongdoing is paramount to saying what happened was acceptable and not that important. If you and I were friends and I did something that was a major slight on you, would you just accept this without demanding an apology and expect the relationship to continue as before?

3. If it lets them get on with their lives perhaps. The point is though that that's not for you or me to decide. The person deserving and receiving the apology is the one who gets to decide that.

Again, the quote I posted earlier sums it up for me:

"I can accept the fact that the young generation...is not to blame. It was their fathers and grandfathers. But until they own up, they'll always be a pariah nation,"

Who are we to dispute this?

A logical and well-reasoned response nomad, good reading.

On the point of the relevancy of my examples, i agree they are different, but the point was relating to the use of the word Invasion. All those mentioned were "full" invasions in the usage of the word that noone disputes.

Rightly or wrongly, the accuracy of the use of the word invasion in relation to a colonization is often disputed. So i picked examples that are undisputed invasions.

However i think your point about defeat and restoration is quite valid, and i believe its got to have some merit. An apology is about righting wrongs, and restoring the old state of affairs does that too. However an apology as part of a treaty surely doesnt count, its a forced apology, and like a forced confession, can't really have the same weight i wouldnt imagine. The WWI german treaties would have to be a case in point. Im sure apologies were extracted from the German government....but all that did was cause things to fester in germany giving rise to a Round 2 20years later...which was far, far worse than Round 1.

Continuing that line of discussion (reparation through restoration) though, does the progression of the land-rights issue mitigate the need or utility for/of an apology?

I also think Spoljar raises some interesting points, despite Joffa's vehement disagreement. If the nation apologised tomorrow, what are the chances of significant progress being made on the more major issues in the next 5-10years?

And i dont say major to belittle the apology issue, but surely most would agree the standard of living and other such 'survival' based issued are more important than an apology....perhaps not, but thats the way i'd be looking at it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Some interesting comments.

The government has committed to making an apology. Hopefully that will allow the majority of indigenous people to start the process of moving on and focus on the now and the future.

However, it won't be a magic cure.

Some will use it as an opportunity for litigation;
Some won't believe it goes far enough and still want more;
Some just won't accept it period.

From a totally pragmatic perspective, making the apology (irrespective of any negative consequences) takes that card out of play, regardless of how many people accept it. It will mean one less thing to agitate about so maybe we can start fixing the modern issues and stop putting kids back into dangerous situations because social workers are scared of being labelled racist if they remove them.

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Some interesting comments.

The government has committed to making an apology. Hopefully that will allow the majority of indigenous people to start the process of moving on and focus on the now and the future.

However, it won't be a magic cure.

Some will use it as an opportunity for litigation;
Some won't believe it goes far enough and still want more;
Some just won't accept it period.

From a totally pragmatic perspective, making the apology (irrespective of any negative consequences) takes that card out of play, regardless of how many people accept it. It will mean one less thing to agitate about so maybe we can start fixing the modern issues and stop putting kids back into dangerous situations because social workers are scared of being labelled racist if they remove them.

There will also be those non-indigenous people who don't support an apology being made by the government in a formal sense, and who will have issues with one being made thus making an apology potentially divisive in itself. Although you would wonder whether those would exist in significant enough numbers for it to be an issue.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Agree Zakal.

I also doubt whether those who don't want an apology would be anywhere near as passionate about it as those who do. There may be some noses out of joint, but I'd expect that once it's done they'll get over it reasonably quickly rather than holding a grudge for years.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 am

nomadjack wrote:

Secondly, and more importantly, in all of the examples you raise the original transgressor was eventually defeated and the pre-existing order was restored.

I've just isolated this part Nomad, not because I disagree with your overall sentiment, but I thought this part warrented more conversation.

In most of the more modern examples, this happened as you described.

However, in the more historical situations, I'd argue that when the "invader" relinquished control back to the people, the culture and population demographic had irrevocably changed and the pre existing order was never restored.

Even though the english colonised Australia, they effectively relinquishd control in 1901 when federation occured and we became a self determining, self governing country. The Aboriginals became marginalised not because of "invasion" but by immigration.

Use the USA as a modern example.

The USA started out as a British colony and was used as a dumping ground for both convicts and marginal groups. Thru immigration (and slavery) it grew and fought England in 1776 for the right to self govern. But did that help the Native American's? Was the original order restored? The "Immigrants" fought wars with the Native Americans for the next 100 years, even poularising their slaughter in the 1950's and 60's with the "Cowboy and Indian" movies.

The USA fought a civil war over the issue of slavery, yet there seemed to be common ground in how they treated the "indians".

http://www.nativeamericans.com/

I'm not trying to argue that 2 wrongs make a right or that an apology isn't warrented as a part of a formal conciliation process, I'm just arguing that hanging onto the notion of being "invaded" isn't going to help anything.

100 years ago, this country was populated by predominantly by british migrants and convicts. in 4-5 generations, the demographic has changed considerably through immigration. British ancentry may still be the majority but not for much longer. In another 100 years, I'd fully expect over 50% of the population to have some sort of asian heritage through immigration and intermarriage.

As time elapses, the "invasion" becomes less and less relevant and the real issue becomes one of basic human rights and living standards.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:31 am

Mention of the situation of North American Indians highlights the issue that goes with the apology. In nearly every other former British colony where the indigenous inhabitants have lost their land to colonisers there has at least been some sort of treaty signed.

The US Governments have treaties with many differerent "Indian" tribes. Most of the treaties have been broken and dishonoured over the years and in mid 20th Century US there seemed to be an understanding that the discovery of oil nullified previous treaties but formally at least the treaties existed. Native Americans may have had the same issues with stolen children, alcoholism, unemployment and welfare dependancy that Australian Aborigines have, but the treaties at least give them some legal defence of their communities unavailable to Australians.

In Canada and New Zealand treaties have been treated with greater respect (another way to put it is that the Canadian and New Zealand Governments have behaved with more honour). No-one suggests that Canadian natives or Maori do not still have problems but no-one who has any knowledge of the situations would doubt that Maori are in a much better situation than the majority of Aboriginal Australians or that the Treaty of Waitangi is a major part of the reason for the bettter situation.

In the 70s a movement began to agitate for a Treaty between Australia and its dispossessed Aboriginal population. Hawke and his Government believed that a treaty was not politically possible and argued instead for "Reconcilliation." Howard was not even prepared to consider Reconcilliation. His position was that Aborigines were no different from other minorities, and he was also chasing votes from Hansonites who believed that Aborigines were inferior to other Australians.

I think that an apology is a good thing. The post-War German government apologised (and paid some compensation) to Jewish and other victims of Nazism and the post-War German government had no legal responsibility for the acts of murderous predecessor. The Rudd and Howard Governments are responsible for upholding every diplomatic and business decision taken by all Australian Governments since 1901 until they legally reverse them. In which case the current Australian Government has legal responsiblity for Commisssioner Neville's child theft in the 1930s or the Coniston Massacre in 1928. Of course we should apologise!

But the most important thing that the government can do is sign a real treaty with the original inhabitants of this country who were dispossed by the actions of the British Government and its Australian successors!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Very good argument Dr. Pie. Definite food for thought.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Ayuh. Can you speak any foreign languages? Try saying that with more or less context. Let us change the subject.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Sorry, but I don't understand the relevance of the points you raise Stui.

"Even though the english colonised Australia, they effectively relinquishd control in 1901 when federation occured and we became a self determining, self governing country. The Aboriginals became marginalised not because of "invasion" but by immigration."

What difference does it make when control shifted from Britain to Australia, the point is that Aboriginal autonomy was not restored. Aboriginals were marginalised because their sovereignty and rights were completely ignored following white invasion on the grounds of terra nullius.

Same with the US example you raised - Native American sovereignty was never restored. What is your point?

You seem to be suggesting that these two examples somehow demonstrate that "hanging onto the notion of being "invaded" isn't going to help anything." I don't understand your logic here. I also don't think it is up to you or me to decide when Aboriginal people should move on.

How does the amount of time that elapses change the significance of the term 'invasion'? If it is so irrelevant why are you having so much trouble admitting that it is an accurate reflection of our history? In my experience, this is what pisses many Aboriginal activists off. Instead of accepting that our history is not picture perfect and moving on, people play these bullshit semantic games. You expect Aboriginal people to move on but you are not willing to recognize and call what happened in the past for what it is. This comes across as a lack of genuine remorse for what happened and as a lack of respect. It's no different than Japan denying its wartime history or fruitcakes denying the Holocaust. Again
here is a definition of invasion (American Heritage Dictionary):

1) The act of invading, especially the entrance of an armed force into a territory to conquer.
2) A large-scale onset of something injurious or harmful, such as a disease.
3) An intrusion or encroachment.

Please feel free to demonstrate why this term is not an accurate description of how this country was settled by whites.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm

OK Nomad, lets see if I can explain although Dr Pie put a very good perspective as well.

Quote:
What difference does it make when control shifted from Britain to Australia, the point is that Aboriginal autonomy was not restored. Aboriginals were marginalised because their sovereignty and rights were completely ignored following white invasion on the grounds of terra nullius.

Same with the US example you raised - Native American sovereignty was never restored. What is your point?

That was exactly my point. You referred to a number of instances when as soon as the invader left, things went back to normal. My point is it hasn't always worked that way. In both cases I mentioned the "invader" relinquished control but things didn't go back to normal. Would you have expected for every immigrant to leave the country on Federation and build a force field around the country?

Quote:
You seem to be suggesting that these two examples somehow demonstrate that "hanging onto the notion of being "invaded" isn't going to help anything." I don't understand your logic here. I also don't think it is up to you or me to decide when Aboriginal people should move on.

Then explain to me how hanging onto the notion of being invaded is helpful in any way to Aboriginal society? Again, no one's going to leave.

Quote:
Instead of accepting that our history is not picture perfect and moving on, people play these bullshit semantic games. You expect Aboriginal people to move on but you are not willing to recognize and call what happened in the past for what it is.

I don't pretend for a second our history is perfect. I certainly acknowledge that from the Aboriginals perspective, they view it as an invasion. The difference in the semantics is the connotations of the words. European's didn't come here to conquer a sovereign nation, they came to discover what they considered previously unexplored lands and encountered scattered tribes of nomadic stone age hunter/gatherers.

Quote:
This comes across as a lack of genuine remorse for what happened and as a lack of respect.

That's certainly not my intent and apologise if it comes across that way, but I'm far more concerned about the future.

Take a deep breath and read what i wrote again. I'm basically talking about psychology. The immigrants to this country, some of us decended from people who came here in chains, aren't going anywhere. This is our country now as well.

So if an apology or a treaty as suggested by Dr Pie is neccessary then lets do it. We can't change history, we can write the future.

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

what the hell was wrong with these questions?

IMO They are based on racial ignorance

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Frank Stone wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

Hmm, it appears to be very difficult to debate any topic regarding any race without people either implying or calling you a racist.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Stui, control was not relinquished to the original inhabitants in either of the cases mentioned. This is why I regard these cases as being fundamentally different to those Zakal raised.

Of course nobody is going to leave as a result of people admitting that 'invasion' is an accurate description of what occurred. It's also not going to solve all the practical problems associated with Aboriginal disadvantage. Neither is a formal apology. What it will do though is demonstrate to indigenous Australians that we are finally mature and honest enough as a nation to admit our past failings rather than attempt to gloss over them.

It's interesting that you raise psychology because I find your choice of language interesting. You use benign words and terms like 'discover', 'previously unexplored lands', and 'encountered scattered tribes of nomadic stone age hunter/gatherers.' which either consciously or subconsciously underplay the extent of conflict or dispossession. Instead, the arrival of whites sounds like quite an exciting adventure!

You could describe it from the Aboriginal perspective quite differently though: Whitemen came with guns, shot our men, raped our women, stole our children, forced us of our tribal lands, forced us to work for no pay, destroyed our society with disease, and refused to recognize us as human.

Yes we can change history. This is largely what this argument is about. We can change it by finally recognizing and acknowledging the truth rather than accepting a glossed over version written solely from the perspective of the invader.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:16 pm

spoljar wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

Hmm, it appears to be very difficult to debate any topic regarding any race without people either implying or calling you a racist.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ....................

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: