Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie to sue...Big time

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:44 pm
Post subject: Eddie to sue...Big timeReply with quote

News Flash....
Eddie to sue Radio 5AA in S.A
Reason: They relayed a rumor about Eddie paying off the Umps to get Bucks off the striking charge. Eddie is going to team up with the Umps and the Player's Association and are gonna sue...big time - really big time. This is a slur on Eddie and Collingwood. 5AA - u r goin down.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 5:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed claims that they used the "rumour" and reported it as FACT. Yes, 5AA are in deep Mr Hanky.
The real worry for us is that not all the allegations have been disclosed. i would like to know what else was said on 5 AA. if anyone knows, E-mail me pursya@tpg.com.au
Do Not, repeat, Do Not post the allegations on the BB.

-Craig

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 8:35 pm

If they sue and win, I expect Eddie to use the dough to buy back magpie internet radio rights, and netcast them through here...

If they defamed the pies (and the umpire), take it all the way and put em out of business...I'm not one to hold a grudge, but I love a good libel case!, and I especially love smart arses getting their come uppance!

The_man_in_Gold 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:12 am

Its a slur on all collingwood people and its time to tell these collingwood hating thucken scum enough is enough!!!

Take em to the cleaners ed!!

The wig's united will never be defeated!!

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:56 am

Here is the article.

11 May 2002 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL GLEESON and SCOTT GULLAN

COLLINGWOOD will launch immediate legal action over explosive and unsubstantiated allegations the club bribed an umpire to get Nathan Buckley off at the AFL Tribunal.

Former Adelaide Crows player Stephen Rowe made the astonishing claim on Adelaide radio yesterday morning that Collingwood officials had bribed an umpire to soften his tribunal evidence on Tuesday night.

Outraged Magpies president Eddie McGuire last night furiously defended the club saying a writ would be drafted over the weekend and lodged on Monday.

"We are totally incensed by the assertion, clearly the reporter in question had 24 hours to check his sources and has been keen enough to go with it on the top rating radio station in Adelaide," McGuire said.

"We have spoken to our lawyers and we take exception to the allegation that officers of the Collingwood Football Club have bribed an umpire."

Rowe made the allegation on 5AA's popular breakfast show with Tony Pilkington and Keith Conlon where he is a regular sports reporter.

"I never ever would suggest that there's a rumour if there wasn't ... or it didn't come from an impeccable source," Rowe said.

He then said Collingwood had left "no stone unturned" to get Buckley off.

"The story coming out of Melbourne is the umpire went into the tribunal and really did soften his verdict or his vision and his stance ... in favour of Buckley, and that was the one thing that did swing the jury decision," Rowe said.

"Now, there is some suggestion that maybe some underhand bees and honey (money) may have changed hands."

A shocked Pilkington said: "That would be ... if it were to be true, if that allegation were ever to be proven true, that would be the biggest thing to have happened in football, forever nearly."

Rowe was recruited from Norwood and played 29 games for the Crows between 1991-95. His promising career suffered a major setback when he serious injured his knee in 1994.

Rowe and 5AA both refused to comment last night.

McGuire said he had spoken with umpires' association president Rob Anderson and the association would join Collingwood in the defamation action.

"We believe there is no more serious crime in world sport than to interfere with an umpire," McGuire said.

"We believe it brings the whole of the tribunal, the AFL and particularly the umpiring and Collingwood Football Club into disrepute and into a shocking light and we will take full steps to clear our name."

McGuire said he only learnt of the allegations yesterday afternoon after being contacted by club chief executive Greg Swann after the club was swamped with calls from Collingwood fans in South Australia.

McGuire said he was angry no attempt had been made to verify the story with the club.

"I am not hard to find on a Thursday, you could ring and check with me. To say that we have bribed an umpire and coerced him to change his tribunal evidence and that the umpire's accepted, is just the most outrageous and disgraceful reporting that could ever be levelled at anyone in the sport."

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR OWN WAY*****
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 2:53 am

Hey all,

Going by the amount of press that this story has recived - ONE article in todays HS - this is a nothing allegation and story. If there was any concrete evidence at all there would be all sorts of hysteria at the moment. It would be front and back page of Both the Herald Sun and the Age

Just some ex hack footballer trying to make a name for himself as a journalist.

We have nothing to worry about. Eddie and his crew are not that stupid.

Cheers

Dillo

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:06 am

If you're interested go here: http://www.5aa.com.au/feedback/index.asp
and tell 5AA what you think of them.

'caveat pica pica'
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:16 am

I've just sent 5AA a little message. I suggested Stephen Rowe might have a promising career as a journalist for whatever prison radio station he's going to be spending his next few years at. What an L-grade Loser that guy is.

But let's look on the bright side. The upshot of all this is that 5AA will be put out of business ... and, as a South Australian, I am proud to know that the Collingwood Football Club will play its part in bringing these bastards down.

In my time in S.A. I became very familiar with the trash that this station tried to pass off as entertainment. They've got some absolute filth working for them. K.G.Cunningham, Graham Cornes and now Stephen Rowe, apparently.

Gee. They really know how to pick winners, don't they.

They've also got Australia's worst shock-jock ... an arrogant pig called Bob Francis. This guy is the pits.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Looks like they'll all be queueing up at the dole office on Monday, because their station is a dead duck. Big Fat Bob Francis will be able to meet all those unemployed people he's been bagging for decades. We'll see how much guts you've got, Fat Bob ... and I'm not talking about that tub of lard around your waist ... when you're face-to-face with the great unwashed and not hiding behind a microphone.

Too bad Stephen Rowe won't be around next time Collingwood plays the Compost Canaries. He'll be too busy crossing off the days on the wall of his cell at Yatala. Maybe he can come up with some "bees and honey" to bribe the screws into giving him an extra bowl of porridge now and then.

Die, 5AA ... die.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:50 am

Don't under estimate 5AA. They are owned by the Daily Mail Group, a big British company that owns many stations including Nova in Sydney and Melbourne. They also own the station I am an employee of. Having said that, I hope Collingwood sues them and teaches them a leson and makes them pay.

Fradam Wrote This

[This message has been edited by Fradam (edited 11 May 2002).]
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:18 am

From this side of Sydney,I hope that Eddie and the PIES management really get stuck into the Crow Eaters.We have just had a little bit in the Telegraph here today,but there was no mention of the station concerned or even where the rumour started from.
All that we got up here is thatEddie got the message last night,immediately made a statement to say that the comments were untrue and stated that a BIG sue was on the cards.
I dont think that he really cares WHO ownes 5AA,but they havent any right to make comments about something that they know VERY little about or for that matter ANYTHING about.
I hope that the CFC takes them all the way to the cleaners....I would even buy shares to be part of '5AA Collingwoods Fan station broadcasting all around Australia for the benefit of the
Magpies'supporters''

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:44 am

this is crystal ball gazing.......but....If 5aa are successfully sued, and IF it costs them a heap, wouldnt it be nice if some money was used to pay for the public liability insurance that I hear junior football clubs are having a lot of trouble paying at the moment (might involve setting up some kind of trust fund)? I suppose in essence, it would be the insurance companies paying their own premiums!!!!

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 11 May 2002).]
Bones 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:01 am

5aa have apologised to CFC and the Umps....
Eddie says screw them, we are gunna screw them for all they got.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:33 am

where'd d'ya hear that bones?

Bones 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:56 am

Sportswatch this arvo.... on channel 7

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:41 pm

Sounds like 5AA are shitting themselves.....

GO EDDIE.....SUE THE BEJESUS OUT OF THEM.....

Rotten jealous scum they are....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: