Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heath Ledger Found Dead

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

EBB wrote:
God bless Utah Saints, may they all burn in hell.

errr what does a rock band have to do with this? besides Westbro Baptist Church is based in Kansas...

Anyways Religion and politics aside....RIP Heath Ledger

Cheers

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:23 am

sherrife wrote:
Look, if tomorrow I hacked the newspapers throughout Australia and put an article about the 'Democratic Republic of Congo' on the front page, I guarantee that people that day would talk about it.

I'd reckon they'd be saying "Why the fack is this there?"

sherrife wrote:
If I continued to put articles about that crisis on the front page every day for a month, I guarantee eventually the government would say something about it (even as they did very little), due to the inevitable result of growing public awareness of the issue.

They'd still be saying the above, but stop buying your papers in a week.

sherrife wrote:
The media DOES play a part in driving society in certain directions. I'm not saying people are stupid (I don't believe that at all), I'm not saying people are sheep (ditto), but people can't be passionate about things they don't know about, and the reason they don't know about them is that the corporate media doesn't bloody want us to know about them.

You make a reasonable point here, but to a some extent, people want a bit of a break from their day to day hassles, which ,granted, may well be trivial to some poor bugger living hand to mouth. Whether papers are printing it or not, people are still interested in who their mates are shagging etc, gossip, whatever you want to call it. It's part of the human condition. The press are feeding a need for the 'trivial', not the reverse.

sherrife wrote:
People would not stop buying the newspapers and watching TV if it became more serious. That is a myth propagated by people with elitist views of society.

They wouldn't stop buying newspapers, they'd stop buying the ones that didn't provide them with 'water cooler' talking points. Other papers would start up to fill the 'gap'. Throughout history, gossip has been no: 1. It just doesn't make it into history books because it doesn't stand the test of time. Looking back 200 years ago, it doesn't really matter modern Australia was founded after a shag-a-thon & piss up. What matters is it was founded.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 am

hmmmmmm i don't buy newspapers, but i still felt very much saddened by the death of Heath Ledger, as I did for Clinton Grybas, Michael Hutchence, Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, Pope Pious IV, Pope Paul XXIII, Louis Armstrong,

I don't know any of these people, but they have affected my life in one way or another. I don't need the media to tell me how to feel.

Last edited by Proud Pies on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:05 am

Pretty fair comment on the media....

http://tinyurl.com/399zvd

Quote:
THE bane of journalism these days is the endless obsession with celebrity, so-called. I could die happily without ever speaking, writing or reading another word about Britney Spears or David Beckham, but there seems to be an insatiable demand for stuff about them and their ilk.

To be honest, it might be a supply-side thing. We in the media create the demand because it's easy to do. Consumers, force-fed, eventually can't get enough.

More puzzling are the celebrities I've never heard of. The Sunday papers are full of them. Who on earth is Tahnya or Tahyna (you get both spellings) Tozzi, for example, and for what is she celebrated? Do I need to know? The death of Heath Ledger was certainly a sad event. It was undoubtedly news. He was a talented and popular young actor on the way up. But if theatre and the movies had lost Shakespeare, Chekhov, Laurence Olivier, Julia Roberts, Rodgers and Hammerstein and The Muppets in the one fiery bus crash the coverage could hardly have been more fulsome.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 am

and yet when sir edmund hillary died it hardly caused a ripple in this country. this chap did more for humanity than many so called 'activist' celebrities who are merely self-indulgent.

the kiwis rightly and unsurprisingly adored him.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:47 am

Jock McPie wrote:
and yet when sir edmund hillary died it hardly caused a ripple in this country. this chap did more for humanity than many so called 'activist' celebrities who are merely self-indulgent.

the kiwis rightly and unsurprisingly adored him.

yes your correct, we didn't express our sympathies or condolences in relation to Sir Edmund Hillary. He was feted throughout his life and he was 88 years old when he died, unlike Heath Ledger who was 60 years his junior and died way before his time.

I think that's the difference, you expect it to happen to someone Sir Edmund's age, you don't expect it to happen to someone so young.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:51 am

Is that your final answer? Since when? A deeper algorithm is needed to respond to that correctly.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
why are we not grieving for the one million Iraqi's killed in the war which includes a high number of woman and children.

Where is all the grief for all those killed by Saddam in the many years before the war? I understand what you're saying Joffa, I'm just a little cynical sometimes because people tend to use or highlight situations that suit their own beliefs and causes all too often.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:13 pm

Lets start a new thread:

"For all those who have ever died....we salute you"
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

I think that's the difference, you expect it to happen to someone Sir Edmund's age, you don't expect it to happen to someone so young.

Someone living the Hollywood lifestyle I certainly an not surprised at sudden young death.
This cult of celebrity has gone to far. FFS, now we even award Australian Of The Year to a minor celeb.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Zakal wrote:
Lets start a new thread:

"For all those who have ever died....we salute you"

Wife of Western Bulldogs President dies of Cancer

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/wife-of-western-bulldogs-president-dies-of-cancer/2008/01/27/1201368930415.html

I don't know her, never heard of her, but I still would like to wish her family and friends, my deepest condolences on their loss

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 pm

member34258 wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

Someone living the Hollywood lifestyle I certainly an not surprised at sudden young death.
This cult of celebrity has gone to far. FFS, now we even award Australian Of The Year to a minor celeb.

Lee Kernahan was awarded the honour due to the commitment to helping the farmers with Drought Aid, not coz he can sing.

member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Bah humbug PP.
He was sitting on his fat arse doing nothing and decided the way to get a few more bums on seats at his concerts was to take up the drought cause.
Plenty of others who have done a lot more for the country over an sustained period of years that are more worthy.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 am

member34258 wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

Theres always going to be someone more worthy than the person who gets the award. Otherwise it'd goto the same person every year, and quite frankly, i just dont have enough room on my shelf for all those awards. hehe Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 pm

member34258 wrote:
Bah humbug PP.
He was sitting on his fat arse doing nothing and decided the way to get a few more bums on seats at his concerts was to take up the drought cause.
Plenty of others who have done a lot more for the country over an sustained period of years that are more worthy.

Totally agree.

It might not be realistic, but I would enjoy living in a world where celebrities didn't exist, and magazines like New Idea and the tabloids were out of business.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: