Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Howard only 1.5% from being PM again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 am
Post subject: Howard only 1.5% from being PM againReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/howard-only-15-from-being-pm-again/2008/01/04/1198950073955.html

The Age, 5th January 2008 wrote:
IT FELT like a Labor landslide. Yet John Howard and his Coalition government came within 1.5% of holding on to power at the recent federal election, final figures show.

The Australian Electoral Commission says the Coalition ended up with 47.44% of the two-party vote after strongly outpolling Labor in the record 2.5 million postal, pre-poll and absentee votes counted after election night.

The final count shows the election was closer than it appeared on election night.

Not only did the Coalition haul back Labor's lead in overall votes, but the election outcome was decided in an extraordinary number of close seats that could have gone either way.

In the end, Labor won 83 of the 150 seats in the House of Representatives, the Coalition 65 and independents two. But nine of Labor's 83 seats were won by margins of less than 1.5%.

Had the Coalition won them, the seats would have been split 74-all, with two conservative independents holding the balance of power — and most likely using it to give John Howard a fifth term in office.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes for a pretty good election in a few years then, especially since the Rudd government isn't off to that great a start....

Cheers

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 am

By the way, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:48 am

Northern Pie wrote:
Makes for a pretty good election in a few years then, especially since the Rudd government isn't off to that great a start....

Cheers

To be fair, they haven't really done anything yet. Parliament has been out of session for Xmas.

I wait until they actually start doing things and judge them on what and how. I really think unless he frigs something up totally, he's got a minimum of 2 terms, however, a 2% swing isn't out of the question and in the right places it seems would put the Coalition back in.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:16 am

The interest rate rise was not a promising start for Rudd. Watch how people will blame his government for the interest rate rises even though they were going to occur no matter who had won.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:28 am

Bucks5 wrote:
The interest rate rise was not a promising start for Rudd. Watch how people will blame his government for the interest rate rises even though they were going to occur no matter who had won.

There hasn't been an official interest rate rise under Rudd.

And any official rise will reflect the past 3 to 6 months

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:45 am

I mean more on a popular level:

*Ratified Kyoto, but committed to nothing really
*Whale Watcher still docked while whales being killed
*I totally agree with Frank concerning the Interest Rates but as it was part of the Labor party's election spin - Joe Public will be watching to see just how they will keep to their promises, that includes the fuel prices as well.
*The Unions already not happy with the time line for change to work choices and are already baying for their payback for assisting the Labor party to gain power.
*listening to some of the new ministers and their promises to spend a lot of money is sure going to put a dent in the "Economic Conservative, I believe in a surplus" promise that we heard over and over during the campaign.

With only 1.5% difference then ext election will be interesting. I recall many a labor person boasting about the huge election landslide of up to 4%, how the Liberal party were dead, and likely to gain a larger swing in the next election to take them to a possible 6 to 7% lead, but that is more likely now to go from the current 1.5% to maybe 3% and if that is the case then the Labor party unless they perform outstandingly, realistically may only be able to look forward to 2 terms in office. In saying that though if Rudd and the gang have performed greatly over 2 terms i just hope people are not sucked in to vote them out just for the sake of change, IMHO it is a stupid way to vote...and I hope that P*ss weak Nelson is back benched before then as well and the Liberal party find someone with balls to lead them to a victory...wonder if Tuckey will still be alive then...lol

Cheers

Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:35 pm

Frank Stone wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:

Whether rate rises are 'official' or not, people will blame Rudd. NAB & ANZ have put their rates up over the past few days, no doubt the rest will follow suit.

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:

Whether rate rises are 'official' or not, people will blame Rudd. NAB & ANZ have put their rates up over the past few days, no doubt the rest will follow suit.

Yes, to cover the cost of borrowing money around the world, due to the sub prime crises in the US.
No even the dumbest Aussie voter would be able to blame that on Rudd ie a lending fiasco that started 5 years ago in the US.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Northern Pie wrote:

Cheers

I think you need to be fair to the Labor Party and wait till they take control of the senate.

member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:15 pm

The fact was Labor needed a uniform swing above 4% to take government.
A swing of 4% or more has only happened twice in our history.
To actually have gained 1.5% on top of the 4% is outstanding, like it or not. In real terms, a landslide.
Interest rate rises this week having nothing to do with the government or the reserve bank.
If anyone cares to trawl through the financial pages before the '07 election they will find that the economists and the banks all predicted 2 official rate rises in the short term. These are yet to come.
Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Frank, the reality is that in 3-4 years time, people will remember only that Rudd came in and interest rates rose. The reasons why the rates went up will be lost over time, trust me.

People are lead by their hip pocket, not their brains.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: