Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our leadership group: our captain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Our next captain
Burns
46%
 46%  [ 32 ]
Fraser
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Lockyer
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Maxwell
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Pendlebury
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 69

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

daicos35 wrote:
This time I voted for Josh. I'm warming to him. I'm not exactly sure what flicked his switch but He has the qualities to be a captain we'll remember.

I respect Tarkyn immensely too. Burnsy, if he wants it, he should have it. If Pendles captains our club one day, his brownlow's will be jingling around his neck.

Maxy, I'm glad he's wearing 5. He wanted it for all the right reasons. The flak he'll cop is the fuel he needs to perform with Glenn Archer courage

What he said.
grims 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 pm

I like burns as captain for 1-2 years. I'm not too sure anyone else is entirely ready yet, hopefully in a year or 2 there will be an obvious choice.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:18 pm

i am yet to see Burns even express any desire to want it. He hasnt ever even been vice captain or fill in captain when players are injured yet he always seemed the obvious choice.

He strikes me to be like Robert Harvey who doesnt enjoy the extra pressure of leadership and doesnt want the additional bullcrap like media interviews etc that he would be obliged to handle.

He just wants to go about his business, work hard and earn success.

I am seeing guys like Maxwell, Lockyer, Heater demonstrate a willingness to lead. They are doing interviews and expressing a desire to be on the leadership team. I am yet to hear anything from Burns.

I feel its useless voting for Burns because it seems obvious to me he doesnt want it.

Its the last thing he needs in the twighlight of his career. He has gone through his whole football life under the radar and without the pressure many others have to put up with playing for the biggest club in australia.

Why on earth would he want all these extra duties in his final 2 years? Plus i have it on good authority that Burns was not even sure if he'd push on beyond this year, so 08 could be his last.

Burnsy needs to just keep doing what he's been doing for a decade now, and thats sneaking under the radar, putting his heart and soul into collingwood and winning games of football through his courage. He does not need any added stress in what should be an enjoyable twighlight to one of the most successfull football stories going around

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:55 pm

burnsy doesn't need to publicly flag his interest in the leadership so long as the decision makers are aware of his position and desire. i wonder if the idea of leading a proud club in his twilight years might just grow on him.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:38 pm

I doubt Burns is even in the mix. Some players are just better when the attention is off them. Harvey captained the saints for 2 years and it was the worst 2 years of his career...he handed on the captaincy immediately.

Your captain does not have to be your best player. Burnsy is a leader without having the (c) next to his name and everyone knows that. Tossing the coin is not going to make him any more of a player than he already is.

Lets face it, Scott has never really embraced the media, and at Collingwood your captain has to be willing to do the publicity stuff and front the media when things are bad. Scott has never bothered with this...his sole concern has always been his footy...and so it should be for his final years.

Scott will always be our captain...he has been as much a captain as Bucks over the years...but he should not be forced to carry the C next to his name if its something he does not want. His leadership traits are more dominant by his actions on the field.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:41 pm

how often is the captain in front of the media? i thought this duty was spread around a bit. not sure if sponsors' and club engagements are the same in that regard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: