Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our leadership group: our captain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Our next captain
Burns
46%
 46%  [ 32 ]
Fraser
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Lockyer
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Maxwell
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Pendlebury
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 69

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

DaVe86 wrote:
I didnt mean what i said as a snipe towards maxwell...im just noticing a general trend that the fanfare for Maxwell has dropped off since it was announced he would wear the number 5. There wouldve been more votes for Maxwell had this poll been done at the end of the finals series. I actually think we are been harsh on him, but i share the sentiments of many that it was the wrong choice to give him the number 5.

I get where you're coming from Dave, but I'm disappointed that so many people have the attitude that Maxy's not good enough to wear number 5. It's just a number. The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number.

We didn't retire 22 after Shawy lead us to our first premiership in 42 years wearing it, nor make it the captains number. The only jumper we've ever retired was 42, out of respect for a man who died too soon.

For god sake, the first time Bucks criticises something about Collingwood when he's working in the media next year (and he will, he'll be paid to give an opinion), how long will it take for for him to get the same sort of vitriol heaped on him that Shaw gets?

Can we have a little perspective please, it's just a frigging number.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:45 pm

I selected Culprit!

www.facebook/the hybernators
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:45 pm

I selected Culprit!

www.facebook/the hybernators
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
We've done this about three times - I'll have a look for the threads in a moments time...

...however my mindset remains the same: Burns > Didak > Fraser > Maxwell/H.Shaw > Pendlebury> Lockyer.

indeed we have and i think three threads is a little conservative. this one has been distilled to be across only the leadership group as against naming half the starting side.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Well, I'm voting for Maxwell, regardless of what number he wears, for these reasons:

1. Scott Burns - respected by all but is playing his last year. Already used off the bench and rarely starts on the ground these days. Club should look to a longer-term candidate.

2. Fraser - has all the attributes but wanted out of the leadership group last year. Why does he want/deserve the top job now? (BTW this is a turnaround for me - I thought Fraser should have been given the job a couple of years ago, as I thought he thrived on additional leadership and responsibility. He may still do so, and if he gets the gig I think he'll do well, though getting over his injuries is the key and should be his focus.)

3. Lockyer - again, not a bad call, but is he really cut out for the captaincy? I can't see him inspiring the troops in quite the way Maxwell would, for reasons below.

4. Pendlebury - simply too young. An old head on young shoulders perhaps, but in terms of leadership there are too many in front of him.

5. Didak - not in the poll but often discussed as a candidate. Arguably the most talented player on the list but his indiscretion last year (whatever you think about it) clearly cost him - it would not be a good example to younger players to give the job to a player clearly and publicly told he was on his last chance with the club.

6. Ben Johnson - also has a few black marks against him and really just needs a good year in 08;

7. Heath Shaw - very good longer-term candidate but see Scott Pendlebury.

After this process of elimination I come to the reasons why I think Maxwell deserves the job.

First and most importantly, as Stui said, he is ultra-committed. He inspires by his bravery at the contest. He looks skinny but he is one of the few players not to flinch with Jonathan Brown coming in the other direction (scoreline: Maxwell broken leg; Brown concussed).

Second, he is not just a leader of the club, but a leader among AFL players, being Collingwood's representative with the AFLPA. He is an excellent speaker and commands respect for his forthrightness.

Third, while he is not the best player (not a prerequisite for the job - see, among others, Tom Harley at Geelong and observe the qualities he has brought to the role), he is obviously among the first picked to even be in this discussion. Obviously loki04 and eddiesmith don't rate him as highly, but I'm afraid the match committee clearly don't agree with them and that's something they have to live with. Sure, 11 possessions won't win him many Brownlow votes but that's what you get for playing mainly in the backline these days - or is captaincy now a midfielder's honour too?

Fourth, he has come up from the rookie list - as has Tarkyn Lockyer, for that matter. What a great example to EVERY kid on the list. Maxwell is a tribute to, and embodiment of Collingwood's team-first ethos. Buckley was a superstar, but even he admitted he had to learn how to manage his less talented peers and that the captaincy didn't come naturally to him.

Fifth, he is the perfect age, hitting his peak with hopefully many years of good football in front of him.

Finally, the number he's been given is a tribute to him, sure, but if anyone gets upset about it then really I can only say there are bigger issues the club faces. Like winning its first premiership since 1990...

Last edited by Pied Piper on Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
We've done this about three times - I'll have a look for the threads in a moments time...

...however my mindset remains the same: Burns > Didak > Fraser > Maxwell/H.Shaw > Pendlebury> Lockyer.

Fraser > Maxwell > H.Shaw

*Burnsy doesn't want to be captain and of course injury is a risk

*Dids is loved but probably lacks the commensurate respect

*Pendles is simply too young

*Tarks hasn't proven himself physically

*Fraser is respected at the club, is now committed and has his best years ahead

*Maxi has all the attributes, but Fraser is ahead of him in terms of importance to the side

*Heater is a born leader, but is still a tad immature and lacks polish
collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:49 pm

Burns and Lockyer are the past, Pendles is the future, right now I think it is between Maxwell and Fraser. Maxwell has yet to play 100 games, Fraser has gone past 150. Maxwell has four seasons at senior level, Fraser has eight. Fraser is without doubt one of our best players, with Maxwell there is some doubt, especially in his position. Fraser for captaincy with Maxwell as VC seems the logical choice to me, that way we get the best balance; Burns and Lockyer in the leadership group to give the guidance old heads can, Pendles there serving his apprenticeship, and Josh and Maxy leading the team as captain and VC, you know it makes sense.

GO PIES!

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:20 am

Maxwell's 11 disp a game is quite low for a hbf who regularly leaves his man which playing as a sweeper he should be getting more, also I love the way he attacks the contest but he is a limited player and DOES quite often in the year get exposed and struggles for personal form. His last 8 or so matchs he played well in but 1st half of the year he was way off the pace, also it is more than myself and ES that are against him as captain but we have probably been most vocal on it.
Becuase Maxwell is this boards golden boy people who criticise him are seen to be a "hater" when most like Maxwell but know his limitations. So when people start talking like he is an out and out star who plays well week in week out and that he deserves the captaincy no matter what, makes people think "WTF" he isn't that good.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 pm

loki04, I never said you were a "hater", nor did I say Maxwell was a star (quite the opposite). I did say that the match committee obviously rate him a bit higher than you do, otherwise he wouldn't be in the frame for captaincy in the first place. And I'd trust their judgment over another punter on the internet. Sorry.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 pm

IMO

i dont care who gets the captaincy.
as tarks said last week - all they will be doing is tossing the coin.

Being the captain doesnt change the way you play the game and the way your leadership qualities will shine.

If youve got something to say on the field - you will say it regardless if your captain or not.

If Shaw or Maxwell doesnt get the captaincy - do you think they will stop chasing, takling, running back into packs at every oppotunity. I wouldnt have thought so. Would they do it any more if they were captain - i doubt it.

To me whoever gets captain it will be more of an honour than a job.
Obviously their workload and expectancy for many things will increase but they will still be the same player but just be tossing the coin prior to the game.

FWIW - Im under the impression either Fraser or Maxwell will get the captaincy.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:53 am

I still prefer Maxwell personally.

I can see a lot of people have chosen Burns, and I understand he should be the most obvious choice, but you've got to look to the future... how many more years will Scotty be around for?

We can start a bit of a legacy under Maxwell.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:19 pm

I cant see why Bucks #5 should be the "captains" jumper. #22 isnt the Captains jumper, or retired (nor should it IMO). I remember champions for who and what they represented. "Pants" Millane was an exception, his untimely death was a dark spot in Collingwoods history.Whoever wears the number now (Maxy, and beyond), Im sure will create their own unique piece of Collingwood history.
As for the current debate re: our new Capitano.....#25.....#5 VC

Spiritial Capt....#17 Unlucky to have played in the Bucks era, otherwise wouldve been Capt.

DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:49 pm

someone said lockyer is the past...i doubt he is the past and i have my money on him as the collingwood captain next year. Its the right choice in my books. I dont think its wise to give youngstars the captaincy whilst they are still developing...and heath, thomas and pendlebury are developing still. Its just added pressure they dont need. Fraser also has shown he does not have the capacity to deal with such pressure and will play better without having the captaincy looming over his shoulder.

Lockyer held up the fort this year many times and should be the choice for the next 3 years. After that someone will have pushed through and earnt the captaincy.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:43 pm

I agree. I think Tarks would be a good choice, he is back to his best football now and has the experience needed.
Will also hopefully be around for a while, whereas, unfortunately Burns probably wont be for too much longer.

The younger guys will be under enough pressure, especially Daisy who will have his hands full being the new cult hero.

Would like to see Heath Shaw as captain further down the track.
It's in his genes.

daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:52 pm

This time I voted for Josh. I'm warming to him. I'm not exactly sure what flicked his switch but He has the qualities to be a captain we'll remember.

I respect Tarkyn immensely too. Burnsy, if he wants it, he should have it. If Pendles captains our club one day, his brownlow's will be jingling around his neck.

Maxy, I'm glad he's wearing 5. He wanted it for all the right reasons. The flak he'll cop is the fuel he needs to perform with Glenn Archer courage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: