Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2007 Football Almanac - best footy book ever!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:05 pm
Post subject: 2007 Football Almanac - best footy book ever!Reply with quote

OK, OK. I have to admit to a vested interest in this topic, because I wrote a number of pieces for the book described. So what is it, you ask?

THE FOOTY ALMANAC 2007: THE AFL SEASON ONE GAME AT A TIME is very much as its subtitle describes; that is, it is a record of every game played this year (185 of them). However, rather than being a mere dry description of who did what supplanted with a rash of statistics, the editors and writers wanted to do something different.

The editors of this book are John Harms (noted Geelong tragic and Age contributor) and Paul Daffey (author of three well-respected books on local football). Now, before you think this was something cooked up as a cash-in on Geelong's success this year, think again. Before the season began, when Mark Thompson's career was still on the line, the editors approached over 30 writers and fans of all the different clubs, including myself. The idea was to provide personalised, biased-as-you-wanna-be accounts of the game as we experienced them, whether from the couch, the pub, the outer or behind the press box glass.

Among our number are not only journalists (including, dare I say given the contempt in which we are held around here, myself - essentially I'm outing myself with this article, so I don't give a rats what you say any more!) but academics, songwriters (the legendary Paul Kelly wrote the foreword), teachers and many others.

The book is self-published under the imprint Malarkey Publications and is available at all good bookshops, at least in Melbourne, although initial distribution problems are currently making it more difficult to find in the northern states. RRP is $29.95, or $20 + postage if you PM me.

For a sample of what you're getting, I'm posting my match review of the famous West Coast-Collingwood semi-final in the post below to prevent this getting too long (unless the mods deem that inappropriate - fair enough I guess).

Cheers

Piper

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the West Coast - Collingwood semi-final review as promised above, reprinted by permission of myself from the 2007 Footy Almanac. Enjoy!

West Coast v Collingwood
6.45pm, Friday, 14 September, at Subiaco
By Andrew Stafford

Collingwood 0.4 5.5 8.9 10.12 11.13 13.15 (93)
West Coast 1.5 4.8 6.11 10.12 10.13 10.14 (74)

(Includes two five-minute periods of extra time)

What I love most about Melbourne is the acknowledgment by much of its citizenry that sport is merely an extended branch of the arts. The city’s musicians, writers and performers are as passionate about their footy teams as they are about their creative lives.

This acknowledgment is largely unspoken because, locally, it is unremarkable. In the deep north, it’s a different matter. When my parents took me to Brisbane as a teenager, I soon understood that in Queensland, sport was for bogans, art was for poofters and never the twain should meet.

Tonight, the twain can get knotted. I’m at the Brisbane Writer’s Festival, where I’m to launch a book by local novelist Venero Armanno. This is an honour, but I’m torn, because where I really want to be is at home, watching Collingwood take on the West Coast Eagles at Subiaco.

I call my Gold Coast Bulletin buddy and fellow Collingwood tragic Nick “Maxwell” Smart. Nick’s a keen text messager when the Pies are at play, so his mission is to work the phone while I work the crowd. I would fill in the blanks via the replay later. Nick’s first message arrives before the match has even started. It is not a happy one.

****. Fraser out, Bryan in. ****.

Collingwood’s lack of quality ruck options is a perennial source of angst among Magpie fans, still raw from the sight of Brisbane behemoth Clark Keating serving it up to a young Fraser in the 2002 and 2003 grand finals. Without Fraser, the Magpies were reliant on the efforts of former Carlton reject Chris Bryan and injury-prone beanpole Guy Richards, who one internet wag says gets pushed around more easily than a science classroom skeleton.

But West Coast has injury worries of its own. Chris Judd’s groin and ankle problems have finally got the better of the champion. Ben Cousins had done his hamstring the week before against Port Adelaide. Daniel Kerr was nursing a broken finger. The Eagles might have had the biggest home ground advantage in football, but they were also battered and vulnerable.

Collingwood’s success in 2007 is based on a refinement of the hard-working, hard-tackling game plan applied by Mick Malthouse in those 2002 and 2003 teams. This method – based on the idea of how hard you work when you don’t have the ball – reached its apotheosis when Sydney carried off the 2005 flag. Now, Malthouse has a much more talented team at his disposal, but rather than employing a more attacking method, his charges are taking defensive pressure to a new level.

Thus having beaten Sydney at their own game in their last four encounters, so now the young Magpies were the team to torment the Eagles. The match opens in a frenzy and immediately, the relative strengths of the teams are apparent. Cox is the dominant big man on the ground, while in defence Darren Glass is far too good for Anthony Rocca. But without the breakaway speed of Judd and Kerr and the run of Cousins, the more skilful Eagles struggle to break free. Collingwood hang tough in the clinches.

5 mins left in first term. Eagles are 4 behinds to us 3. Tight. But Meddy just kicked the first! 9 to 3

In a stalemate, it’s fitting that the first goal comes from a clanger, although it’s surprising that it comes from Cox, who puts the ball onto Paul Medhurst’s chest from deep in defence. It’s a significant early victory to the Magpies and to Malthouse, whose side is already forcing the match to be played on its own terms.

Up 11 to 4 at qtr time. Should be more ahead. Had more chances. Tight and hard.

The second quarter is punch and counter-punch. Shane Wakelin, who otherwise has an error-proof game on Quinten Lynch, gives up a handball to the opposition that allows Cox to make amends for his earlier misdemeanour. Andrew Embley gives the Eagles the lead after bouncing his way down the wing; Dane Swan, already having a big say, snatches it back after being set up by Dale Thomas.

The lead changes another three times before the Eagles open up a 10-point break in the shadow of half-time. But Collingwood aren’t going away. In the dying seconds, Leon Davis – fresh from laying four tackles in 15 seconds – bursts free on the 50 and sends the ball to the teeth of goal. Rocca gets his first stroke of luck when the ball spills on to the back of his boot and rolls through for a goal.

35 to 32 down at half time. More of the same shit. You know the type of game it is. They woke up this quarter.

It’s a curious game. In the second quarter and for most of the third, Cox is the most influential player on the ground, both in the air and as a link man across half-back. Lynch wins a rare battle with Wakelin to kick a booming goal and it looks like the tide is running out on the Magpies. At ground level, Matt Priddis is doing the work of his three missing counterparts; his early claims to best-on-ground honours are strengthened when he gets on the end of a chain of handballs to drill the Eagles’ seventh.

15 down with 12 mins left in 3rd. We are trying but conditions to their advantage.

Malthouse doesn’t panic, even when David Wirrpanda makes James Clement pay for another backline clanger. He continues to rotate his men through the middle at a furious pace: Thomas, Davis, O’Bree and Swan, who is matching Priddis stat for stat. Late in the third, two moves from the coaches’ boxes change the course of the match: John Worsfold rests Cox and Glass, and Malthouse puts Alan Didak on the ball. The combined effect is electric. Didak’s brilliance gives the Magpies polish going forward, while Travis Cloke, fighting a pitched battle with Adam Hunter, marks in the goal square. Rocca, finally free of Glass, kicks two in a minute.

Was down by 22 with 5 mins left in 3rd and we kicked three late goals to be 3 points down at the last change. We are coming mate!

The last quarter is a repeat of the counter-punching theme of the second. The Eagles look to be running out of legs, but even in the absence of their front-line midfielders still have silk in reserve. Mark LeCras, dangerous all night, wins a soft free in front for the Eagles to break clear again. Nick’s text messages begin to keep frantic pace.

Hands in the back rule is a crock of shit. ****! 10 down with 14 mins left

The Eagles have the run of play again, but can’t put Collingwood away. Swan raises his game another notch. Medhurst, reinvented into a tough team player by Malthouse, finds some of his old opportunism and slots a goal out of nothing on the 50 arc. Didak outpoints Embley on the flank, dodges around another opponent and sends a low ball scudding through.

DIDS YOU STAR! From 50 on run. Up by 2 with 8 mins left

Unsurprisingly, it’s the older players struggling. Nathan Buckley, of all people, kicks a ball straight down Mark Rosa’s throat to see the Eagles back in front. But these are no longer Buckley’s Magpies. All Collingwood’s drive is coming from its younger stars. Another fierce Leon Davis tackle sees the ball spill to Medhurst, who spots up Thomas. He converts. The feeling is growing that this match isn’t a conventional one; that it might, in fact, never end. Embley and Glass blow late chances to snatch an Eagles win. The match finishes in a melee, 36 players fighting over the Sherrin.

Draw. Extra $£$%^%%$ time.

Collingwood are in the van now. The longer the match goes, the more their extra running depth and crazed attack on ball and man tell on their opponents. With a minute to go in the first half of extra time, they execute the best team play of the night: a Rocca spillage and a Didak bump, followed by another slick handball from Medhurst to Bryan.

6 points up at half time of ET. Unbearable to watch. U r lucky

The Eagles are out on their feet. Collingwood’s future is symbolised in two huge last-gasp plays that seal the game: a chip over the top from Irishman Marty Clarke to a running Scott Pendlebury, and a five-bounce run down the wing from Thomas resulting in a Swan goal, a fitting reward for an astonishing individual performance which included eight possessions in extra time.

Pendles! Home! And Swan on siren! Won by 19

It’s that final run from Dale Thomas I won’t forget – an 80 metre sprint, hair streaming behind, and after finally disposing of the ball, the camera briefly flashing back to the young star as he collapsed with exhaustion. Wherever Collingwood go from here, you can bet their fans will never die wondering. Not, at least, as long as Nick Smart carries a mobile phone.

Goals – Collingwood: Rocca 3 Medhurst Didak Swan 2 Cloke Thomas Bryan Pendlebury. West Coast: Wirrpanda Le Cras 2 Cox Embley Fletcher Lynch Priddis Rosa.
Best – Collingwood: Swan (BOG) Didak Cloke Medhurst Pendlebury Wakelin. West Coast: Cox Priddis Glass Chick B Jones Wirrpanda.
Crowd: 43,627 at Subiaco Oval.
Umpires: S McBurney S Ryan S McInerney
Votes: D Swan (Collingwood) 3, M Priddis (West Coast) 2, A Didak (Collingwood) 1.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:25 pm

what? no mates rates? lol
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm

You don't reckon $20 + postage is mates' rates compared to $30 in the shop? Smile
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:36 pm

nice. i enjoy reading john harms' columns and waleed aly is another who provides good value too. looks like your friend nick could have a book all on his own recanting the pies seasons through his sms.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
You don't reckon $20 + postage is mates' rates compared to $30 in the shop? Smile

damn these glasses lol

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Nice read mate, great memories.

Journalistic work not meeting such standards, however, will still be treated accordingly LOL.
handy point Aquarius

Long distance Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 am

Hope those scores aren't cut and paste from the book. Smile

I enjoy John Harms' style of writing, been hanging out for this book since I first heard about it. But like you say, it's hard to find in these northern states.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:32 am
Post subject: Re: 2007 Football Almanac - best footy book ever!Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:

So someone's finally topped "The Footballer Who Laughed" by LTC Richards ... I don't believe it!
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:51 am

leon_d wrote:
Hope those scores aren't cut and paste from the book. Smile

No, my bad - now fixed

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:14 pm

It's a sensational book, well worth the read. I've finished it, Andrew. Loved it, well done.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Post subject: Re: 2007 Football Almanac - best footy book ever!Reply with quote

London Dave wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:

So someone's finally topped "The Footballer Who Laughed" by LTC Richards ... I don't believe it!

Speaking of such literary classics, doesn't Max Walker hold the position as the highest selling Australian Author?

Definitely a case of quantity vs quality there. Wink

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
It's a sensational book, well worth the read. I've finished it, Andrew. Loved it, well done.

Thank you Luke, much appreciated, glad you enjoyed it.

leon d, if you're having trouble finding a copy and want one, PM me.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55 pm

First copy sold to Nick's member magpiefanatic. Get 'em while they're hot! Smile
handy point Aquarius

Long distance Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 pm

Heh... not more than a day after I say that, the bookstore I earn a little extra dosh at gets a drop shipment of 10.

Loving it already. Top read. Always appreciate the deeper than stats/key plays level of personal reportage.

Hope this becomes an annual fixture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: