Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Libs stand for nothing: report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:15 am
Post subject: Libs stand for nothing: reportReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/libs-stand-for-nothing-report/2007/12/16/1197740090743.html

For those who enjoy politics. I would not say the Liberals stand for nothing I would suggest that Labour has moved so far right the Liberals are in a quandary in which way they go. Do they go any further right? Or do they go to the left? Interesting times lay ahead at State level. I feel with all the quality now out of work at Federal Level they will buildup and win the next state election as I would suggest Brumby is heading for a loss and just like Howard it will be time for a change and to add people vote opposite to what they did federally. It won’t be under Ted though, to much baggage in my opinion. Two years out from a state election things do look grim but I would say 12 months out they will be a lot brighter. What is your thoughts?
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take about a 5% swing for the State Libs to win and that is most unlikely

All Brumby has to do is "not scare the horses" and keep to the centre.

BTW, that report was written by the Liberals so they perceive themselves as standing for nothing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Tell me more about it.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:33 am

Frank Stone wrote:
It would take about a 5% swing for the State Libs to win and that is most unlikely

BTW, that report was written by the Liberals so they perceive themselves as standing for nothing

The same thing was said 2 years out of the Federal election Frank.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 am

I think the article is a pretty good summation of Victorian Liberal.

with 20-20 hindsight, it would appear that after JFK got resoundingly booted out on his ass, the party deliberatley shied away from his image. Tried to disassociate itself with the perception of arrogance, crash thru bully boy's. In doing so, they've chosen a succession of bland, cardboard cut out leaders with all the charisma of a rock and had no policies to actually stand for.

Actually, the parallels are there with the federal Labor party post keating and prior to 12 months ago when Rudd got the gig.

The main difference is that there was a peception that Howard was past his use by date and had done enough things that polarised opinion and had people passionatley disliking him. Bracks and now Brumby haven't done that. They've pissed off groups here and there with tollways etc, but nothing that can get everyone alligned against them. The only pont where they may be vulnerable would be financial mamagement. The question is being asked now and will get louder, how a state government can generate nearly a Billion dollar surplus, while the hospitals it runs are apparently crying out for funds and the government debt is tipped to quadruple Confused

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:56 am

To true Stui, I get annoyed when they speak about how big a surplus they have and spend nothing. Kennet did the same thing and got the flick. Kennet was the first to bring in Government Surpluses and used it as a promotion for good Government. Costello did the same. You cannot keep telling people how much money you have when they cannot get a hospital bed. Brumby is well on his way with the arrogance that Howard had. You get this when the opposition is hopeless. lol
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Culprit wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:

The same thing was said 2 years out of the Federal election Frank.

Monday December 24, 01:39 PM
Vic Lib leader ignores bad poll result

Victorian Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu has brushed off poll results showing his party's popularity slipping further behind the state government's, saying the poll was taken during the federal election campaign.

The Newspoll, published in The Australian on Monday, shows Labor's two-party preferred support up four percentage points, from 56 per cent in September-October, to 60 per cent in November-December.
ADVERTISEMENT

In the same period, the state Liberal Party's support fell four points from 44 per cent to 40 per cent.

Mr Baillieu said the poll was taken during the federal election campaign.

"I'm not going to comment on opinion polls generally but I don't think you can look at that particular poll without appreciating that it was undertaken during a federal election campaign and you might not have picked it, but we lost that federal election campaign," Mr Baillieu told reporters in Melbourne.

But he denied he was blaming the federal coalition for the Victorian party's woes.

"No, I'm not making any comment about that, I just made the comment that you cannot look at a particular poll cast over a number of months which was taken over a federal election period, without at least acknowledging that."

The poll results included a two percentage point rise in Labor's primary vote, to 51 per cent, and a five per percentage point drop for the Liberals, from 36 per cent to 31 per cent.

There was also a five percentage point rise in the rate of satisfaction in Premier John Brumby's performance as premier, from 46 per cent to 51 per cent.

His standing as preferred premier remained unchanged at 51 per cent, while Mr Baillieu's fell three percentage points to 22 per cent.

But Mr Baillieu remained upbeat, saying his team was "very united", despite the public airing of turmoil within over its direction in recent weeks.

"We are very confident, we've got a team that's together, we're focused, we've got a plan and we are going to stick to that plan, we are going to hold this government to account."

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:41 pm

You would not challenge for the leadership now if you were keen on the job. 12 - 18 months we will see a new Liberal leader. Ted the Tof has too much baggage imo Frank.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Culprit wrote:
You would not challenge for the leadership now if you were keen on the job. 12 - 18 months we will see a new Liberal leader. Ted the Tof has too much baggage imo Frank.

Yup I agree, I think the turmoil is far from over.

It would require a stuff up of major proportions by Brumby for the Libs to turn those polls around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: