Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Liberals attacked Unions and lost

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:34 pm
Post subject: The Liberals attacked Unions and lostReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/11/27/1196036889504.html

I felt their attack would fall on deaf ears and it did more than that it back fired. For all those who hate unions and what they stand for, it's obvious many do not agree with you.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never talked about it before. What do you do in your spare time?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:44 pm

It's not about hating unions, it's hating their attitude.
I remeber when I was an appretice working on a union site in Perth. The Plumbers had left myself and 2 other appretices to finish some work while they went to do a prelay around the corner.
We were working away and this light, misty drizzle started to fall (would have taken a week to get wet in it). We carried on with our work until cries of 'SCABS' , "DOGS" and other crap was yelled at us from the smoko hut! All the comrades had retreated to the smoko hut, waited for a while then went home. needless to say the mizzle cleared by lunch time but no more work was done because we had been sent home due to inclement weather.... crazy.
Then there was the workers on the perth to Mandurah rail line. The temperature reached a stifling Rolling Eyes 37.5 so off they go to the beach, too hot to work. The best bit though.... the boys working some 100 km's down the track, where a pleasant seabreeze was blowing and the temperature around 32 degrees, well of course they had to go home too. One out all out comrades.
What a joke, i understand unions have fought for and gained some genuine work place rewards but some of their carp is just plain old bullshit.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Hey Skids, is that attitude still there and it still happens where you work?
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:17 pm

No mate, I'm on an AWA. We work 12 hour shifts, can get as warm as 47, we just take breaks every 10 minutes or so and if it rains, well that's a bonus. There are no penalty rates but our hourly rate is alot better. My employer pays 75% of my private health fund fees, all members of my family and myself have counselling provided free of charge (has come in handy with a 17 yr old daughter!). Discounted airline travel, generous super fund with NO fees, unlimited sick leave, annual leave with loading and annual reviews of our salary ( usually an increase around 5-10%). We also recieve Xmas bonus which is dependant on production. I even attended a quit smoking course, paid for by my employer and carried out during work hours (haven't had a ciggy for nearly 5 months now).
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Great advantage about working in the west at the moment. Pity we don't get he same thing here..lol
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Culprit wrote:
Great advantage about working in the west at the moment. Pity we don't get he same thing here..lol

Funny you should say that my back to back commutes from Victoria. 2 on 2 off. He subbies for a mate 5 days on his time off, the lad should gross close to 250k this financial year.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Thats the state where the work is at the moment.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Just to make a point, from what I understand Labor and the Coalition got almost the same share of the primary vote. Green preferences got Labor their win.

There's no argument that Rudd has a mandate to reform/repeal workchoices but when you look at the data, it's not exactly overwhelming support for the unions.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 pm

I think if you look at union membership, it'd still be very low. The Libs did themselves in because they went too far with IR. Hell, they'd probably still be in power if then never introduced the new laws.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Joel wrote:
I think if you look at union membership, it'd still be very low. The Libs did themselves in because they went too far with IR. Hell, they'd probably still be in power if then never introduced the new laws.

I see your point Joel. I think the labor party would still have won even if the libs had not of introduced Work Choices. However, they probably would not have lost as much ground though.

I personally don't believe all the changes made to IR should be thrown away. The outdated laws needed revamping. The Libs just took it a little far. Hopefully the Elected Government can find a balance.

I personally don't like Unions, my personal experience has left a tainted taste in my mouth. So I choose not to join. Therein lies the problem. My University marks are withheld until I pay the Union fees, and I cannot enrol as well. I don't even attend the campus all external. Why should I pay for services i do not require? That is what is wrong with Unions.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Joel wrote:

Certainly a bit of truth in that David.
But they did introduce those laws. They did get drunk with the power of owning the Senate.
And it cost them big time.

There was a letter in the little papers 50/50 column today asking "what would people in other western countries think of Australians kicking out a government who has run such a strong economy"?
I could not help but think these people would think "they must have really screwed the pooch".
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:01 pm

David?
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 pm

errr...ummm.......
it's been a long day!
And I'm still hungover from Saturday night..........cut a bloke some slack!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:09 pm

member34258 wrote:
Joel wrote:

Certainly a bit of truth in that David.
But they did introduce those laws. They did get drunk with the power of owning the Senate.
And it cost them big time.

There was a letter in the little papers 50/50 column today asking "what would people in other western countries think of Australians kicking out a government who has run such a strong economy"?
I could not help but think these people would think "they must have really screwed the pooch".

The changes to unfair dismissal llws were the one that struck home the most with people along with removing the no disadvatage test and belatedly replacing it with a different version. The previous AWA system was great with the no disadvantage testin place. They went too far, if not in real terms certainly in popular terms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: