Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fair weather supporters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 5:28 am
Post subject: Fair weather supportersReply with quote

I've loved visiting and reading posts on this site for years now, but I've never got around to contributing myself.

I decided to do so after reading the "That's it for me" post that started up after our loss to Carlton. I watched that game and felt incredibly frustrated with Collingwood, and thought how frustrating it is to be a Collingwood supporter.

However this is my response: I love Collingwood to death, I love our black and white stripes, and the whole atmosphere of being at a Collingwood match (or seeing it on TV if I can't make it). I love seeing Collingwood supporters getting excited about our team. That's why I'll always support them and maintain my membership, it's not a case of "that's it" when they lose games.

I know it's easy to say this now that we're 4 and 2 after 6 rounds, but even if we drop off like we have in recent years, that will still be my point of view. My emotions rise and fall with Collingwood's fortunes on and off the field, but my heart is always with them.

Well that's it in a nutshell. I hope to contribute a bit more to this site in the future.

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 6:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said Brian.

I don't know how (or why) people would give up now. Since 1995 Collingwood have been mediocre at best, extremely frustrating most of the time, and that is how I know Collingwood. It's what i grew up with. Sure, we won the flag, but I was only 6. Through the vast majority of my life Collingwood have been the poor cousins of Essendon and the blue scumbags, yet I stuck with them thorugh thick and thin, like, I'd imagine, an awful lot of other Collingwood supporters. Now we are seeing the rewards for our patience.

The Carlton match was an absolute bloody disappointment. Words can not express it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but when we lost time the general feeling was 'are we as good as we think we are?' Since then we comfortably beat two of last years preliminary finalists, plus thumping those same old Saints. The answer to that question is yes. We are bloody good. But after that wet, cold friday night at the MCG, I, again like many others, might have thought 'it was too good to be true', so I can see why people would snap, and jump off the bandwagon. I would never give up on Collingwood but their are some supporters who do not share this resolve, and maybe 7 years of pain finally got to these people when we lost to the blue scum. I am not supporting them, I am just pointing out that not everyone is as patient and resolute as many of us. It was bound to happen. I sure as hell hope that the feel terrible when September rolls around though, while we are finally celebrating finals football!

Goodbye Dolly I must leave you, though it breaks my heart to go,
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe,
See - the soldier boys are marching and I can no longer stay,
Hark - I hear the bugle calling, goodbye Dolly Gray.

GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD FOREVER, WE KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME,
SIDE BY SIDE WE STICK TOGETHER, TO UPHOLD THE MAGPIES NAME.
SEE THE BARRACKERS SHOUTING, AS ALL BARRACKERS SHOULD,
OH, THE PREMIERSHIP'S A CAKEWALK FOR THE GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 6:51 am

Well said Brian and welcome to the board.
I couldn't have said it better myself, love of the Black & White is something that other supporters can only dream about.
We all love this club with passion and unfortunately sometimes they can dissapoint us so much that we "spit the dummy" with them. Yes, i've done that myself, after the '80 GF I wanted nothing to do with them. The difference then was I had a whole off-season to get over my hurt. So '81 came and there I was, screaming my lungs out for the B&W stripes! Does it get any better tnan that?
Win Lose or draw, I love CFC, it is my passion, it is my life.

-Craig

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 7:20 am

I remember that topic well Brian and I said to the person in question that she was welcome to leave and told her not to come back when we turned it around. Has anyone seen our little friend at the games?

Fradam Wrote This
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:29 am

welcome Brian. i like your attitude.

don't worry, everyone on this board is as passionate as you can get.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:37 am

Welcome to Nicks BB Brian... Im glad u decided to post and share your innermost thoughts with us..... In here we all are very passionate about our beloved Collingwood and thats why we call this page Home...

Enjoy yourself and once again welcome to the Family..

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
Rosewall Woman 2 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:54 am

Welcome Brian!!! Be warned it is very addictive. You come home, you check the board. Go to a match, you check the board. You see all of these people you feel that you know so well as names on this board. It is an extended family, with many differing views, but all share a love for the Black & White!!!

paulie 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 11:34 am

Collingwood is without doubt my great passion.I have been a COllingwood supporter since 1977.Growing up things were pretty tough in my life but Collingwood gave me hope.Not really having parents while growing up.I looked upon Collingwood as my family.Those mighty warriors in the black and white were my role models and heros.And still today now i am married with 4 step kids they continue to be my heros those warriors in Black and white.I remain Collingwood forever my passion and imperation.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 2:14 pm

What wonderful words Brian. I think there's been times where we've all experienced the pain of being a Collingwood supporter wih black and white blood running through our veins - but I wouldn't change it for the world.

We really do have something that no other clubs or supporters have had or EVER will have. We have never accepted anything other than success but that doesn't mean we jump off our team when they are struggling - it's just gives us a greater incentive to stick together and help support each other and our beloved club to reach the heights they deserve.

We ARE going to win the ultimate and what a party we'll have when we do!

GO PIES!
Marg

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 6:48 pm

Fantastic brian a very good read well i love this club to death, the collingwood football club next to my immediate family is the biggest thing in my life and i have no shame whatsoever in saying that, some will say its just a game, well to us collingwood folk its a way of life and its a chapter in our lives that we wouldnt trade for millions im proud and feel priveledged to have become a collingwood supporter, and yes we have seen more bad times than good but we are strong people and we are proud people, sometimes when i see that little black and white bird on our emblem i just wanna strangle the bugger and other times i just wanna make love to it ( a little extreme i know) but you kinda know what im tryin to say.
Look with out a doubt this club has become a product of its supporter base, we have made this club bigger than jesus christ himself ( sorry jesus i aint knockin ya pal ) the history of the collingwood football club is equal to none, and we are envied by one and all so win by a point or lose by a hundred one thing is guaranteed, the love the passion the respect for this club will live forever in all collingwood people because all them strengths have made us for what we are 'A WONDERFUL COLLINGWOOD FAMILY' The collingwood football club owes us nothing, we the supporter owe the collingwood football club everything, how great it is to stand up and say without any hesitation or question or shame or embarrassment that WE LOVE COLLINGWOOD.

COLLINGWOOD WE LOVE YA !!

Good on ya brian anyone got a tissue.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:29 pm

good post brian. as for those responding, it does need to be remembered however that the original 'thats it for me' post was under magpie girl's handle but it was written by her bloke(legga or something wasnt it?). just be careful who we're bagging out - im sure magpie girl is still as passionate as any of us. as for her bloke........... 3 good wins later and he might be thinking about crawling back.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:54 am

All are welcome back. I'm sure no-one here will hold a grudge for the dummy spit.

-Craig

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:08 pm

I hold grudges against imbiciles who proclaim to follow the pies and when the first thing goes wrong they think they have the right to bag the shit out of the club...THATS NOT LOYALITY PEOPLE!! its the same as some of the rednecks who pay a couple of hundred bucks a year to become members and they think that it elevates them to board level..WE ARE NOT BITCHMOND SUPPORTERS...WE ARE COLLINGWOOD..its ok to be constructive when criticising, but to get on here and just play 'the big know it all internet hero' is gutless and it aint collingwood..and if this has offended anyone I COULD'NT GIVE TWO RATS ARSES!!! it has been the downfall of this club too many times, your either collingwood or your not!!!!

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 05 May 2002).]

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:49 pm

Brian,
Welcome to the family. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. A Pie supporter.... is s Pie supporter thru thick n' thin. Obviously that supporter who has given IT up since the carlscum game, does not know much about the Pies. Did he know of the injury problems to many of our stars prior to the season proper? "OP", knee ops etc.... Look at us now. We are 3rd and have the pups next week. Look out

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:15 am

Good one Brian. What I hate is that as soon as we lose a couple of games we all of a sudden have this LOUD minority proclaiming they give up etc.

I LOVE THE COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB. There is no other team like 'em. I have supported them through thick and thin. I cried when we lost the GF in the 70's and 80's. But next season I would be there cheering them on.

No matter who is playing for us. Whether they are superstars or young boys, whether they are on top of the ladder or bottom. They are the ones wearing the Black and White jumper and that alone deserves my respect and admiration.

GO PIES!!!!

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: