Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The wash up of Election '07

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadjack wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
nomadjack wrote:

Don't kid yourself NP. 3% is bloody hard to peg back against a first term government. Whitlam is the only government since ww2 to get just one term and you could never accuse Rudd of being Whitlamesque. The average is closer to four terms at the federal level, so buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Whitlam got 2 terms

Sorry Frank, you're right. I should have said Whitlam got the equivalent of one term. Even in that short time he did more for this country than Howard has done in 11 years.

He was probably the best PM we have ever had, his reforms were astounding

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Wait, if the senate goes as expected, Labor actually cant pass anything the Libs dont want? Oh thats hilarious Laughing
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:07 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Wait, if the senate goes as expected, Labor actually cant pass anything the Libs dont want? Oh thats hilarious Laughing
Actually Labour has never had control of the senate federally. The independents and Greens will control the upper house not the Liberals. Now that is funny. Full control to nothing in one day. Laughing
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

Try a double dissolution, see how hilarious your Lib mates will like that

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Culprit wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Actually Labour has never had control of the senate federally. The independents and Greens will control the upper house not the Liberals. Now that is funny. Full control to nothing in one day. Laughing

At least it will be balanced between the Lower and Upper House. As I have said for One Party to have control of both Houses is not good. To pass policy labor will have to lobby the FF and IND as the greens are so far up the ALP's arse they will more than likely have their support unless they go to radical.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Remember that other Tasmania who held Australia to ransom. His vote was brought always at a cost.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm

bwphantom wrote:
Culprit wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

At least it will be balanced between the Lower and Upper House. As I have said for One Party to have control of both Houses is not good. To pass policy labor will have to lobby the FF and IND as the greens are so far up the ALP's arse they will more than likely have their support unless they go to radical.

I notice the FF preferences went to the Libs at the Election, if they can get FF to stick with them then Labor cant pass anything, that would be great

If I understand DD correctly, does that mean every seat is up for election again? Does that mean Rudd could lose office within 12 months? Very Happy
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 pm

That he can Eddiesmith but remember they now control the spin. They will come out and say we can't do this because Costello fudge the books etc. The assembly of god party will tow the Government line so no need to worry about him.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:30 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
bwphantom wrote:
Culprit wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

I notice the FF preferences went to the Libs at the Election, if they can get FF to stick with them then Labor cant pass anything, that would be great

If I understand DD correctly, does that mean every seat is up for election again? Does that mean Rudd could lose office within 12 months? Very Happy

Sorry to burst your bubble Eddie but after July next year Labor will only need Nick Xenophon's vote with the Greens to get anything through and Xenophon is a progressive similar in outlook to the Democrats. By the way, Steve Fielding from FF has also openly opposed policies like Workchoices, and then there's Barnaby from QLD who is just as likely to cross the floor when it suits. Enjoy your decade of irrelevance.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Hang on, wasnt Howard the 2nd longest serving PM of all time? So how come all these people now seem to think Rudd is going to surpass him and spend even longer in charge?
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Australians don't tend to change government at the federal level very often Eddie. In the post war period Howard was in for 11 years, Hawke/Keating for 13 years, Fraser for 8 years, Whitlam for 3 years, Libs under Menzies et al 23 years, Curtin/Chifley 8 years. Buckle up, especially given the state of the Libs party organisation.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:19 pm

All I say is go lap up some poddle piss Liberal toss bags!

www.facebook/the hybernators
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Sorry Nomad, but from what i read I understood the predicted make up after July was

Quote:
At this stage, they're predicting the coalition to hold onto 37, greens 5, family first 1 nick Xeno-anti-pokies 1 and Labor 32.

So Labor will need to court not only the greens but the other 2 as well to get legislation passed. If they lose even 1 of those, it's a 38 all vote. Gonna be some serious lobbying and horsetrading going on.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Let us change the subject. I lost my train of thought.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Sorry Nomad, but from what i read I understood the predicted make up after July was

Quote:
At this stage, they're predicting the coalition to hold onto 37, greens 5, family first 1 nick Xeno-anti-pokies 1 and Labor 32.

So Labor will need to court not only the greens but the other 2 as well to get legislation passed. If they lose even 1 of those, it's a 38 all vote. Gonna be some serious lobbying and horsetrading going on.

You're right Stui, I just read the same in the Age. Looks like Di Natale is going to miss out in Victoria again. Should make for some interesting horse-trading post July but don't think it will have any major impact. Might even put a bit of pressure on the Libs to define what they are going to stand for post Howard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: