Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Old Liberals

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
Roll on Saturday so we can be rid of these low life scumbags.

And we can get another set Sad

So thats it David? Don'r vote Labor because of Howards sins?
Don't tar us with the same brush that has touched the heartless Liberal Party.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:19 am

David wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
Roll on Saturday so we can be rid of these low life scumbags.

And we can get another set Sad

As someone with a close interest in politics David I can say unequivocably that Howard has set a new low in terms of moral and ethical standards in governance. He has absolutely disgraced the Liberal Party and as you will see over the next ten years has done incredible damage to it. All governments make mistakes and guild the lily. Howard has made an artform out of dodging any sense of accountability or probity since 1996, but worse than that, has put his own party's interests ahead of the wellbeing of the most disadvantaged groups in Australian society and ahead of the country itself. Past Liberal leaders like Menzies, Holt, Gorton and Fraser, men who had a genuine commitment to liberal values, and men who had integrity, would be disgusted by his actions and by what the party has become under him.

Say what you like about Labor under Rudd, but you can be absolutely certain that governance standards will improve, and improve dramatically.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:16 pm

nomad, while I acknowledge that you are more politically astute and have been following the system for longer, that still sounds like a bitter, one-sided rant. Disgraced the Liberal Party? Dodges any sense of accountability? I'm not saying that Howard has been perfect, or that his actions have always been pure, but as politicians go, I reckon he's pretty good.

Anyhow, are you really confident that Rudd is our knight in shining armour? I'm certainly not convinced by what I've seen of him so far.

member34258 wrote:

Us? Who are you, a Labor MP? Shocked

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:56 pm

If that's how you rate Howard David then you are very easily pleased. You are correct about the bitter part, but it is based purely on Howard's conduct over the last 11 years not out of any particular hostility to the Liberal Party or out of opposition to policies like Workchoices or the GST. I am happy to put up with policies I oppose and dislike provided the government has a mandate for them. My concern is more with the damage Howard has done the practice of politics in Australia. Unlike leaders like Menzies, Fraser and the others I mentioned, Howard has shown absolutely no respect for important political institutions such as parliament, the High Court, the Governor-General and the public service, or for crucial traditions such as ministerial accountability. He has trashed them all when politically expedient which is something previous Liberal leaders were not prepared to do. That's why prominent ex Liberals like Fraser despise him. He has also repeatedly lied to the Australian people about major issues ranging from tax cuts to the conduct of ministers, to the commitment of Australian troops to the conflict in Iraq, much more of which will start to trickle out after he is booted out of office. If you're satisfied with a divisive liar who has repreatedly proven himself willing to put his party's interests ahead of what is right as PM, more fool you.
member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 pm

David wrote:
nomad, while I acknowledge that you are more politically astute and have been following the system for longer, that still sounds like a bitter, one-sided rant. Disgraced the Liberal Party? Dodges any sense of accountability? I'm not saying that Howard has been perfect, or that his actions have always been pure, but as politicians go, I reckon he's pretty good.

Anyhow, are you really confident that Rudd is our knight in shining armour? I'm certainly not convinced by what I've seen of him so far.

member34258 wrote:

Us? Who are you, a Labor MP? Shocked

David, Howard has systematically dismantled the Westminster system of parliament on which our government is based.
He has turned convention, that dictates Ministers are responsible for their portfolios stuff ups, around and not one minister has ever taken responsibility. This is totally against the Westminster ethics.

As for the "Labor MP" comment. Don't be so juvenile. As a Collingwood supporter you would refer to "us" when discussing the club. So would that mean you pull on a jumper and run out on the ground each week? No, of course not.
Following political parties is no different to following a footy team. So "us" is justified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: