Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Work(No)Choices...the secret plan.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 am
Post subject: Work(No)Choices...the secret plan.Reply with quote

Well, after 29 months of fighting, Howard/Costello have won the right to keep from the electorate the plans for the next step for the Work(No)Choices legislation.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22786850-2,00.html

Quote:
But it is understood that the Government argued the release of the documents would lead to speculation of further changes to workplace laws.

So, if Howard/Costello have no plans for changes, as Howard (not Costello) have insisted they don't, why fight to suppress these documents?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd also be happy for all the draft proposals put together by parties within labor that were rejected and not made policy to be released?

The Coalition has stated for the record that they won't make anymore changes, yet the scare campaign continues on, trying to drag up two year old proposals that were rejected.

Wonder how many proposals for IR and the environment Rudd has rejected that would scare the bejeebus out of the public if they were ever released.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
So you'd also be happy for all the draft proposals put together by parties within labor that were rejected and not made policy to be released?

The Coalition has stated for the record that they won't make anymore changes, yet the scare campaign continues on, trying to drag up two year old proposals that were rejected.

Wonder how many proposals for IR and the environment Rudd has rejected that would scare the bejeebus out of the public if they were ever released.

I live in Central QLD on the Coal Mining Belt. And they are holding their breath at the Moment because if Rudd gets in and Changes AWA a lot or workers stand to lose a lot of money. And my job is directly related to the Industry and the budget of my Dept may take a bashing as well.

You can say what you want about Work Choice. It may not suit all business, but even the Labor party knew there had to be changes to the Archaic legislation. The only thing I don't agree with is big corporations starting small businesses under the small business banner. This is why there has been a large jump in registered small business since the Work Choices Legislation came into effect. Then others would also argue that this has also created jobs where none were available.

There are good and bad in the previous legislation and in the new. Finding the balance is the key.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:

stui, you are blinkered on this issue, obviously.
The issue here is that they fought so long and so hard to keep a document from the public that there can only be one conclusion. That there is more than a grain of truth in it.
So, in reality it's not about Rudd's "rejected" policies, it's about how much you can trust Howard/Costello.
And by the look of the fight they mounted to keep this secret, you cannot trust them at all!

And all this with 4 days to go.......what a pity.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 pm

If I'm blinkered, so are you.

You can draw the conclusion you have because you obviously prefer to believe Labor and the unions. Another conclusion would be that proposals were put up for more extreme changes such as getting rid of unfair dismissal altogether or abolishing awards. Whatever was in them, they were rejected yet they know full well that if they were to be made public, the spin put on them would be "look at what they were going to do".

In the end, it doesn't matter what proposals were considered, it's ones that are enacted that matter.

I'm sure Julia Gillard's first draft of the IR reforms bear no resemblance to their current proposed ones.

member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:39 pm

stui, don't take it personally.
The only reason that this proposal would have been taken off the table is that they needed to keep it quiet until after this election. When they hope to enact it.
The cat is well and truly out of the bag now.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Is and out of the bag also cat?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 pm

member34258 wrote:
stui, don't take it personally.
The only reason that this proposal would have been taken off the table is that they needed to keep it quiet until after this election. When they hope to enact it.
The cat is well and truly out of the bag now.

Sorry, Ditto. Tone is hard to express when typing.

I'm not taking it personally, my view is that they investigated some proposals and either decided they went too far or realised they would have been political suicide (or both) and shelved them. They may have once planned to bring them in but have made it clear that if elected they won't do further changes.

As far as hiding them goes, they are literally on a hiding to nothing because if they refuse to releease them, people speculate. If they do release them, people believe why come up with proposals if you're not going to implement them. Spitroasted.

The whole expaning workchoices is a fear campaign run by Labor and the unions. Just like the coalition is running a fear campaign about unions. That's politics, doesn't mean it's accurate.

member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm

True, but timing is everything.
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Ch7 have just tipped a bucket on JH.
He is heard saying on radio some time ago that "it is absolutely untrue" that there are other options for Work(No)Choices.
Then they go on to reveal a document that was prepared for "The Prime Ministers" consideration in 2005. It contained 5 options, one of which was the fair pay commission" The other 4 are secret.
JH says that they are confidential cabinet documents. The freedom of info people say only 50% of these documents are cabinet documents.
Once again, the words don't match the facts.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:23 pm

I saw that on the news too. It was an options paper, and the only one of the options accepted and implemented was the fair pay commission.
pezza 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm

member34258 wrote:
Ch7 have just tipped a bucket on JH.
He is heard saying on radio some time ago that "it is absolutely untrue" that there are other options for Work(No)Choices.
Then they go on to reveal a document that was prepared for "The Prime Ministers" consideration in 2005. It contained 5 options, one of which was the fair pay commission" The other 4 are secret.
JH says that they are confidential cabinet documents. The freedom of info people say only 50% of these documents are cabinet documents.
Once again, the words don't match the facts.

Hahaha, sorry, i'm just picturing John Howard as Schwarzenegger in the simpsons movie stating "i was elected to lead, not to read" and then blindly picking one of the 5 options that were on the table...

as you were...
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I saw that on the news too. It was an options paper, and the only one of the options accepted and implemented was the fair pay commission.

Yes, a full year after the legislation was in place.
So, they had advice that there would be some type of mechanism required because of all the employers who would try and rip people off, but they failed to implement it from the start.
I suppose they were hoping that no-one noticed.
"It was an options paper". Yes, the paper that they fought tooth and nail to keep from us, and they are still keeping it from us.
What are the other options? Why can we not be told?
Ask those questions and formulate the only conclusion that can be arrived at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: